WI
✟112,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
New month, new Bible analysis. Today's analysis will be on Ephesians 5:15-21, with a sprinkling of other verses that discuss addictions.

Date
May 1, 2024​
Verse
Ephesians 5:15-21 (ESV): "Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit, addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart, giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ."​
Explanation
Ephesians 5:15-21 is a passage that encourages believers to live wisely in a world that is under the influence of evil (5:11). The passage starts by urging believers to "look carefully then how you walk" (5:15), which means to be mindful of the way we live our lives. The reason given for this is that "the days are evil" (5:16), implying that there are many distractions and temptations that can lead us astray.
To live wisely, believers are called to understand God's will (5:17). This requires us to seek wisdom and guidance from the Lord and to prioritize our time and energy accordingly. The passage then goes on to give two examples of things that believers should avoid: getting drunk with wine (5:18) and engaging in foolish or debauched behavior (5:17-18).
Instead, believers are encouraged to "be filled with the Spirit" (5:18). This means to allow the Holy Spirit to control and empower our lives. The passage then describes the result of being filled with the Spirit as singing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs (5:19). This is not only an individual experience but also a corporate one, as believers are called to "address one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs" (5:19).
Societal Relevance
The relevance of this passage in modern society is that it speaks to the need for believers to be wise and discerning in their use of time and energy, particularly in the face of numerous distractions and temptations. This includes entertainment and leisure activities.
Examples of distractions and genres of entertainment that Christians may need to avoid could include:

1. Contentography and explicit content: This can be a major distraction and temptation, leading to sin and damaged relationships. (1 John 2:16)
2. Violent or gory media: These can desensitize us to violence and dehumanize others. (Psalm 101:3-4)
3. Gambling: This can lead to addiction and financial ruin. (Proverbs 13:11)
4. Alcohol and drug use: These can lead to physical harm and addiction, as well as impairing our ability to live wisely. (1 Corinthians 6:19-20)
5. Negative or harmful relationships: Abusive or one-sided relationships can drain our time and energy and lead to negative emotions and experiences. (Proverbs 22:24-25)

To avoid such things, Christians are called to "be filled with the Spirit" and to seek God's guidance and wisdom in all areas of their lives. This may involve setting boundaries around our use of technology, media, and relationships, as well as seeking out supportive communities and accountability partners. Ultimately, the goal is to use our time and energy in ways that honor God and bring life and joy to ourselves and others.

For myself, I was never into bad image content (and never will be), but was lead astray on an international pen pal forum from 2014-2017, as creeps were pushing my buttons in just the right way, by discussing steamy things with me. In 2017, my parents had the police visit my house, to explain how creeps groom people online and delete my profile on the pen pal site. Since then, I no longer chat with creeps.