Did Joseph want to divorce Mary because he did not trust her?

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟96,277.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Berean Standard Bible, Mat 1:

18 This is how the birth of Jesus Christ came about: His mother Mary was pledged in marriage to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be with child through the Holy Spirit.
This surprise of virgin birth was tough for any man to swallow.

19 Because Joseph her husband was a righteous man and was unwilling to disgrace her publicly, he resolved to divorce her quietly.

No, the verse listed two reasons. According to Deut 22:21, a woman who got pregnant before marriage was to be stoned to death. Joseph wanted to be righteous, but at the same time, he did not want the stoning. After considering these two factors, he decided to divorce her quietly.

20 But after he had pondered these things, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to embrace Mary as your wife, for the One conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit.”
Now, Joseph received a second opinion. The angel also pointed out a third reason: Joseph was afraid.

No, I don't think so. If Joseph had not trusted Mary in general, he would not have engaged her in the first place. Having learned that Mary was pregnant by the Holy Spirit, he did not particularly believe that fact. He was confused and afraid in disbelief. He wanted to follow the law but did not want to harm Mary. He thought the way out was to divorce her quietly.

24 When Joseph woke up, he did as the angel of the Lord had commanded him and embraced Mary as his wife. 25 But he had no union with her until she gave birth to a Son, and he gave Him the name Jesus.
After the angel's revelation, he believed and obeyed.

Grafted In

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟95,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It came to me recently while thinking on this that it is my opinion that not only was he obedient to God and took her to his wife, that, as a man righteous before the Lord, made much effort to protect her from lookers on. I think he might have gone so far as to remove the vail from her face so she would not suffer from hurtful comments from others.

Grafted in
Bill

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟79,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
he decided to divorce her quietly.
He wanted to protect the inheritance for his children and not have any of it go to her child. At least that is what our attitude is today. My sister in law got a divorce from her husband because she wanted the house and he wanted to give it to his son. Now a days it is very common for younger women to marry older men. She claims she will take care of him if he gives her the house. Good luck getting her to keep her part of the deal. But if he goes into a nursing home then they get the house. So it is better off to stay at home if people can. My wife works in an assisted living nursing home and she says NO ONE wants to be there but they do not have anyone to take care of them. If it were me I would hire people from care dot com to have them take care of me at home.

Upvote 0