Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It was silly to comment on a Facebook post. I “went down the rabbit hole,” as my daughter sometimes says when one becomes too involved in a social media thread. Here’s how it happened:

I follow a few Catholic groups on Facebook, so when I saw the title, “Holy Orders,” I was captivated. I expected it might be a new book about vocations to the priesthood, from like-minded Catholics.

Mainstream Theater and Catholicism​

My expectations changed when I saw the actual source of the post. It was from a nearby regional theater, announcing the public reading of a new play. After decades of working in the performing arts in local schools and community theater, I am wary of modern shows that deal with my Catholic faith. When contemporary plays from mainstream playwrights present Catholicism, they likely get something wrong. I’m sorry to say it about my fellow artists, many of whom are dear friends, but it’s true.

Consequently, when I read the story line about a middle-aged nun who goes against her order’s directives when she ministers to a poor parish, I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. Would this play simply be about a devout religious who serves the poor? Unfortunately, according to the summary given by the theater, it is not. The character of the nun actually “serves Mass” in the poor parish, because the diocese has ignored the parish’s request for a priest. The nun is disciplined by her superiors for her disobedience and then takes some time to decide whether this incident was a chance to pursue her true vocation as a Catholic priest.

Distorting Catholic Doctrine​

Continued below.

• Informative
Reactions: AlexB23

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟85,321.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It was silly to comment on a Facebook post. I “went down the rabbit hole,” as my daughter sometimes says when one becomes too involved in a social media thread. Here’s how it happened:

I follow a few Catholic groups on Facebook, so when I saw the title, “Holy Orders,” I was captivated. I expected it might be a new book about vocations to the priesthood, from like-minded Catholics.

Mainstream Theater and Catholicism​

My expectations changed when I saw the actual source of the post. It was from a nearby regional theater, announcing the public reading of a new play. After decades of working in the performing arts in local schools and community theater, I am wary of modern shows that deal with my Catholic faith. When contemporary plays from mainstream playwrights present Catholicism, they likely get something wrong. I’m sorry to say it about my fellow artists, many of whom are dear friends, but it’s true.

Consequently, when I read the story line about a middle-aged nun who goes against her order’s directives when she ministers to a poor parish, I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. Would this play simply be about a devout religious who serves the poor? Unfortunately, according to the summary given by the theater, it is not. The character of the nun actually “serves Mass” in the poor parish, because the diocese has ignored the parish’s request for a priest. The nun is disciplined by her superiors for her disobedience and then takes some time to decide whether this incident was a chance to pursue her true vocation as a Catholic priest.

Distorting Catholic Doctrine​

Continued below.
I stay away from social media, except Christian Forums.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟68,082.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I stay away from social media, except Christian Forums.
Good move.

No, seriously, good. move.

Social Media with not only be the death of modern society. It will, in all likelihood, be the death of the internet as we know it.

It's sad, really, but the creation of bots and trolls is a billion dollar a year industry and growing.

I won't even trust me if I were you, I could EASILY be a troll.

Most people on here have a suspicion.....

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟85,321.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Good move.

No, seriously, good. move.

Social Media with not only be the death of modern society. It will, in all likelihood, be the death of the internet as we know it.

It's sad, really, but the creation of bots and trolls is a billion dollar a year industry and growing.

I won't even trust me if I were you, I could EASILY be a troll.

Most people on here have a suspicion.....
Hey, thank you. :) I will stay off of social media, unless work hypothetically forces me to join one, but even then, I will ask not to join.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Distorting Catholic Doctrine
I remember once I was at the VCR rental place and they had a copy of last temptation of Christ. I asked them about it and they said if they had any problems they would take it off the shelf. I do not think I pushed the issue but maybe I should have.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,685,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I remember once I was at the VCR rental place and they had a copy of last temptation of Christ. I asked them about it and they said if they had any problems they would take it off the shelf. I do not think I pushed the issue but maybe I should have.
It’s hard to close Pandora’s box once it’s been opened.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
It’s hard to close Pandora’s box once it’s been opened.
No more difficult than to resist the Sirens.
The internet is filled with Pandora boxes.
You try to get through the mine field as best as you can as machine gun bullets are flying over your head.
Oh wait, that is the training they put you through in the Army. Did I mention the mud and barb wire?

Upvote 0