WI
✟84,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello folks. AI has been making the rounds lately over the past year or so (NPR article from 2023), and it has come to my attention that AI could in theory be used to write laws.

So, I tested that out, with the locally installed open source AI (Mistral 7B) on my computer writing a basic law for a fictional country on an alien planet. Man, AI is getting scary good. Only a few parts, such as the name of the alien race (the Xa'na) were added by me. My computer got real sweaty, as my laptop is 6 years old.

MIT Tech Review article on AI Writing laws: How AI could write our laws

And here is my AI trying to write some laws.
Mistral-ins-7b-q4:
Mindekowan Standardized Regulatory Directory (SRD) Chapter 2: Protection of Xa'na Life

Section 2.1: Prohibition of Murder and Unlawful Taking of Life

2.1.1 Definition of Murder: Murder is the unlawful intentional taking of another's life through direct or indirect means.

2.1.2 Exceptions: This provision does not apply to actions taken in lawful self-defense, defense of others, or during the course of lawful warfare.

2.1.3 Penalties: Murder is punishable by imprisonment for life without parole.

Section 2.2: Regulation of Abortions

2.2.1 General Provisions: Abortions are prohibited, except in cases where the following conditions are met:
a) The life or health of the mother is at risk.
b) The pregnancy resulted from rape or incest.

2.2.2 Reporting and Record Keeping: All abortions must be reported to the appropriate health authorities and recorded in their database, with proper documentation and justification.

2.2.3 Penalties: Unlawful abortions are punishable by imprisonment for a term of not less than five years, and fines up to the equivalent of 10,000 Mindekowan Currency Units.

Section 2.3: Prohibition of Euthanasia

2.3.1 Definition and Scope: Euthanasia, or mercy killing, is the intentional taking of a life to alleviate extreme suffering. Euthanasia is strictly prohibited under all circumstances in accordance with this section.

2.3.2 Life-Sustaining Treatments: Patients may choose to discontinue life-sustaining treatments if they no longer wish to receive such care, as long as they have the capacity to make informed decisions. Healthcare providers must respect their wishes and facilitate the withdrawal of life-sustaining treatments (unplug) without causing intentional harm or contributing to the patient's demise.

2.3.3 Palliative Care: Patients with incurable and painful conditions will receive comprehensive palliative care to alleviate their suffering and improve their quality of life. Healthcare providers must prioritize pain management, symptom relief, psychological support, and spiritual care for these patients.

2.3.4 Penalties: Any attempt to intentionally end another person's life, including euthanasia, is punishable by imprisonment for a term of not less than ten years and fines up to the equivalent of 50,000 Mindekowan Currency Units.

This amendment to Section 2.3 prohibits euthanasia in all circumstances and emphasizes the importance of providing comprehensive palliative care for patients with incurable and painful conditions, while respecting their autonomy regarding life-sustaining treatments.

Section 2.4: Technology and Transport Safety Regulations

2.4.1 Prohibition of Weapons Production: The production, sale, or transfer of weapons is strictly prohibited, with penalties including imprisonment for a term of not less than ten years and fines up to the equivalent of 50,000 Mindekowan Currency Units.

2.4.2 Technology Safeguards: The production and use of technologies that pose a major risk to users, such as those with the potential for widespread harm or destruction, must undergo rigorous safety testing and regulatory approval before being permitted for public use.

2.4.3 Transport Safety Regulations: All forms of transport must comply with stringent safety regulations to minimize risks to passengers, pedestrians, and the environment. Non-compliance may result in fines or penalties, including suspension of operating licenses.

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,373.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
"2.1.1 Definition of Murder: Murder is the unlawful intentional taking of another's life through direct or indirect means."

So what if I order a pizza, and as a result of this, the delivery driver is in a crash and is killed while bringing the pizza. Since I am the indirect cause of his death, am I to be charged with murder?

My intent is not to start a debate, merely to show that getting AI to take over the responsibility of writing laws is not going to result in better laws.

• Winner
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟84,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"2.1.1 Definition of Murder: Murder is the unlawful intentional taking of another's life through direct or indirect means."

So what if I order a pizza, and as a result of this, the delivery driver is in a crash and is killed while bringing the pizza. Since I am the indirect cause of his death, am I to be charged with murder?

My intent is not to start a debate, merely to show that getting AI to take over the responsibility of writing laws is not going to result in better laws.
Haha, that is true. Yeah, AI is not good at writing laws yet, but is getting better. But overall, this was a demo to showcase AI's strengths. I am glad that you pointed out a flaw in the AI's logic. :) Honestly, I would not trust an AI to write laws anytime soon.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,373.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Haha, that is true. Yeah, AI is not good at writing laws yet, but is getting better. But overall, this was a demo to showcase AI's strengths. I am glad that you pointed out a flaw in the AI's logic. :) Honestly, I would not trust an AI to write laws anytime soon.

It doesn't appear to be very strong yet.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟84,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It doesn't appear to be very strong yet.
Eventually AI will get more powerful. It can explain the ethics of paywall blockers, but is horrible at math.

AI can write about some things.
1713448973104.png

AI is bad at math
1713449139904.png

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,373.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Eventually AI will get more powerful. It can explain the ethics of paywall blockers, but is horrible at math.

AI can write about some things.
View attachment 346101

AI is bad at math
View attachment 346102
I would disagree. AI can regurgitate things it can source, but that doesn't mean it has any actual understanding. For example, your first example talking about paywalls claims that paywalls level the field for all people who are willing to pay for the content. But this is not true. A struggling student who has no choice but to pay to gain access to an article they need to reference in their university studies is not on a level playing field a rich lawyer who just wants to read it out of bored curiosity. For one, the payment to get past the paywall can be a significant cost, while for the other, it could be unnoticeable. Hardly a level playing field.

• Agree
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟84,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would disagree. AI can regurgitate things it can source, but that doesn't mean it has any actual understanding. For example, your first example talking about paywalls claims that paywalls level the field for all people who are willing to pay for the content. But this is not true. A struggling student who has no choice but to pay to gain access to an article they need to reference in their university studies is not on a level playing field a rich lawyer who just wants to read it out of bored curiosity. For one, the payment to get past the paywall can be a significant cost, while for the other, it could be unnoticeable. Hardly a level playing field.
I actually have a thread about the ethics of paywalls in the Ethics & Morality section, and I agree with you, but at the same time, journalists need food on the table. So yeah, students can use a paywall bypass software, but for me, I have turned off my paywall bypass software as of April 18, 2024. Maybe students on university Wi-Fi should have free access to paywalled articles.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,373.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I actually have a thread about the ethics of paywalls in the Ethics & Morality section, and I agree with you, but at the same time, journalists need food on the table. So yeah, students can use a paywall bypass software, but for me, I have turned off my paywall bypass software as of April 18, 2024. Maybe students on university Wi-Fi should have free access to paywalled articles.
Or we could just get rid of money altogether... But that's a discussion for another thread...

• Agree
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟84,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Or we could just get rid of money altogether... But that's a discussion for another thread...
Yeah we could, which would be similar to how Star Trek works, with the replicator (a form of additive manufacturing at a molecular scale). Tech is not there yet, but a bartering economy could be possible.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟327,339.00
Faith
Atheist
Yeah we could, which would be similar to how Star Trek works, with the replicator (a form of additive manufacturing at a molecular scale). Tech is not there yet, but a bartering economy could be possible.
Money was invented to overcome the limitations of a bartering economy...

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟84,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is true, one of the first things we learned about in an economics class. But yeah, money will never become obsolete, until a breakthrough technology comes about. Even communal societies use money. The Star Trek replicators also use energy, and if energy is scarce, then kilowatt-hours will become a currency.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,373.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Money IS barter.

It used to be that if I needed some meat and you needed some fruit I'd trade you for some of the meat I had for some of the fruit you had. As long as we both agreed that the fruit I was giving you had the same value as the meat you were giving me, then it's a fair trade.

We are now doing the same thing, except we use money as one side of the trade.

• Informative
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟327,339.00
Faith
Atheist
Money IS barter.

It used to be that if I needed some meat and you needed some fruit I'd trade you for some of the meat I had for some of the fruit you had. As long as we both agreed that the fruit I was giving you had the same value as the meat you were giving me, then it's a fair trade.

We are now doing the same thing, except we use money as one side of the trade.
OK. It's a question of semantics - I was using the common definition of 'barter' as, "Exchange of goods or services for other goods or services without using money." (my italics).

The key point is that money has no intrinsic value, it is an abstraction, unlike goods and services; in this, it is analogous to energy in physics.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,373.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
OK. It's a question of semantics - I was using the common definition of 'barter' as, "Exchange of goods or services for other goods or services without using money." (my italics).

The key point is that money has no intrinsic value, it is an abstraction, unlike goods and services; in this, it is analogous to energy in physics.
So energy has no intrinsic value either? Then how do the things that use energy know how far to go? For example, how does a nuclear reaction "know" to produce a certain amount of energy from a given amount of radioactive material?

I'd rather argue the opposite.

Barter has no intrinsic value. You may consider a Porsche and a glass of water to be very unequal, yet for a man dying of thirst, I'm sure he'd gladly trade his sports car for a glass of water that will save his life. Gods and services have no intrinsic value either. As long as we both agree that the value of the things we are bartering is equal, that's all that's important.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟84,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So energy has no intrinsic value either? Then how do the things that use energy know how far to go? For example, how does a nuclear reaction "know" to produce a certain amount of energy from a given amount of radioactive material?

Barter has no intrinsic value. You may consider a Porsche and a glass of water to be very unequal, yet for a man dying of thirst, I'm sure he'd gladly trade his sports car for a glass of water that will save his life. Gods and services have no intrinsic value either. As long as we both agree that the value of the things we are bartering is equal, that's all that's important.
Yeah, I have no idea what @FrumiousBandersnatch was going on about, as energy does have value. :) Nuclear reactions are based upon E = mc².

1714267154300.png

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟327,339.00
Faith
Atheist
Energy is just a label for an abstraction of the physical equivalence between certain properties of stuff, it doesn't exist in its own right; there's no such thing as 'pure energy'. When people talk of 'pure energy', they generally mean highly energetic (high frequency) photons.

Stuff in a high-energy state is metastable with respect to its energy and will tend to lose energy in various forms until it reaches a more stable (low energy) state. Radioactive material does this by its unstable atoms decaying to less radioactive material and losing energy as energetic photons, and the kinetic energy of particles with mass. When there are no more unstable atoms, no more energy is released. The amount of energy released per atom depends mostly on the number of 'supernumerary' protons and/or neutrons in the atom, but the mechanisms involved are complex.

Goods and services have utility in themselves. Money is a consensus abstraction, without goods and services to represent, it is useless and meaningless.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟327,339.00
Faith
Atheist
Yeah, I have no idea what @FrumiousBandersnatch was going on about, as energy does have value. :) Nuclear reactions are based upon E = mc².
Energy doesn't have a value, it is a value - a value that relates to an equivalence between certain properties of stuff according to its state or physical context.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,373.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Energy is just a label for an abstraction of the physical equivalence between certain properties of stuff, it doesn't exist in its own right; there's no such thing as 'pure energy'. When people talk of 'pure energy', they generally mean highly energetic (high frequency) photons.

Stuff in a high-energy state is metastable with respect to its energy and will tend to lose energy in various forms until it reaches a more stable (low energy) state. Radioactive material does this by its unstable atoms decaying to less radioactive material and losing energy as energetic photons, and the kinetic energy of particles with mass. When there are no more unstable atoms, no more energy is released. The amount of energy released per atom depends mostly on the number of 'supernumerary' protons and/or neutrons in the atom, but the mechanisms involved are complex.
But the amount of energy can be measured and we can predict exactly how much energy will be released. That doesn't really fit in with the idea that energy has no intrinsic value.
Goods and services have utility in themselves. Money is a consensus abstraction, without goods and services to represent, it is useless and meaningless.
But the value of a good or service is subjective. The example I gave of a glass of water shows that.

Intrinsic value is how much value something is perceived to have. A glass of water has a higher intrinsic value to a dehydrated man than to a man who has just drunk a liter. After all, the dehydrated man feels a greater need for the water, while the man who's just drunk a liter may not be feeling any thirst at all. Likewise, a service also has no objective value. A person who is extremely busy is likely going to see my dog-walking service as more valuable if they have little time to walk the dog themselves, whereas a retired pensioner who enjoys going for long walks is going to find little value in my service.

But the amount of energy released for a certain amount of petrol when burned can be objectively measured. It's not going to produce a different amount of energy for different people based on how important they find that energy.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟84,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Energy doesn't have a value, it is a value - a value that relates to an equivalence between certain properties of stuff according to its state or physical context.
Yes, energy is a value, but can be measured by a value, such as Joules or kWh, or whatever unit has this form:

1714314559100.gif

Formula from Wolfram|Alpha: energy - Wolfram|Alpha

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟327,339.00
Faith
Atheist
But the amount of energy can be measured and we can predict exactly how much energy will be released. That doesn't really fit in with the idea that energy has no intrinsic value.
If you count the number of bricks in a house and you know the cost of a brick, you know how much financial value those bricks will have if you pull down the house, and if you know the cost of an acre of land, you know how much land the sale of those bricks will get you. The financial value of the bricks and the land is just a number that quantifies the conversion rate of one thing to another, i.e. relates how much of one thing can be converted into some other thing, be it land, bricks, gold, numbers in a bank account, a workman's labour, currency notes, etc.

Energy is analogous (except that, unlike financial value, it is constant and conserved, not subjective). Such numbers have no intrinsic value, they quantify the value of other things.

But the value of a good or service is subjective. The example I gave of a glass of water shows that.
Sure. but the subjective value is the extrinsic value.

Intrinsic value is how much value something is perceived to have. A glass of water has a higher intrinsic value to a dehydrated man than to a man who has just drunk a liter. After all, the dehydrated man feels a greater need for the water, while the man who's just drunk a liter may not be feeling any thirst at all. Likewise, a service also has no objective value. A person who is extremely busy is likely going to see my dog-walking service as more valuable if they have little time to walk the dog themselves, whereas a retired pensioner who enjoys going for long walks is going to find little value in my service.
We seem to be using different understandings of intrinsic value. The subjective value something has in a particular situation is its extrinsic value. The intrinsic value is the objective value that that thing has in itself, or in its own right, i.e. its fundamental properties that can be objectively measured, things that are not dependent on market demand, user preference or sentiment.

For the Porsche that would presumably inhere in the amount and quality of the materials it is made of, the workmanship, the construction, functionality, its performance, economy, etc. For the glass of water, likewise, the quantity and quality of the glass, the design & functionality, the amount and suitability of the water for drinking, and so-on. There are some philosophical issues about precisely what constitutes intrinsic value (e.g. distilled water is not great drinking water, so does the intended purpose count?), but it's the principle that matters.

But the amount of energy released for a certain amount of petrol when burned can be objectively measured. It's not going to produce a different amount of energy for different people based on how important they find that energy.
Yes, energy quantifies an intrinsic property equivalence. Rearranging the molecular binding of a certain amount oxygen and the hydrocarbons of petrol produces a predictable amount of high-frequency photons and fast-moving molecules, that produce vibrating & colliding atoms in nearby material (heat), and a local increase in the amount and velocity of gas molecules (pressure). This conversion is quantified using an indirectly observed abstract conserved property called energy.

Molecular binding energy, light energy, thermal energy, kinetic energy, gravitational potential energy, etc., are the names we give to the values of certain properties (states or contexts) of stuff, using a common unit that we use to quantify the conversion between those properties.

Upvote 0