✟18,156.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Hi there,
it's a while since I have come last here.
Lately I have been studying Judaism, since I realised that I practically know nothing about it. Since there is no real forum anymore, at least I couldn't find one, where you can discuss and learn about other faiths, I decided to post in this forum. Feel free to move, if I missed a forum in here.
As a Christian it is, in my oponion, indeed useful to learn about Judaism, to understand the Bible better. I have learned about the Tanach so far, also about the Talmud and the various existing Jewish groups today (from Orthodox to Restorationist).
In my research I learned that originally the Septuagint was a Translation from Jews for Jews around 100 BC. Also, and this is interesting, for learning Hebrew.

My question today is however, do Jews read the apocryphal books in the Septuagint still today? They are not read in Shabbat of course (I have found already the Jewish Reading plan for the week and Shabbat in the Internet), but privately? Or are they meanwhile completely unknown in modern Judaism?

I am talking about the Books :
Prayer of Manasseh
1 Esdras
Tobit
Judith
Additions to Esther
1 Maccabees to 4 Maccabees
Psalm 151
Wisdom or Wisdom of Solomon
Sirach or Ecclesiasticus
Baruch
Letter of Jeremiah
Additions to Daniel
Psalms of Solomon

I couldn't find out which of these are already of Christian Origin. I believe the book of Baruch is however.

I would be happy, if there are (former) Jews in this forum that could answer my question, and maybe some follow up questions, as I study along about Judaism and Jewish history.

Yours,
Timothi

Last edited: