Anyone dealing with Bitterness as a Christian?

QuestionQuest74

Oct 12, 2023
Fort Lauderdale
✟26,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Im currently battling with Bitterness im grateful for everything God has blessed me with but there’s something I lack and it’s bothering me. People especially a ill-minded family member often lets me know im lacking in this department and often makes me even more bitter about it. How to deal with bitterness as a Christian and overcome it ?

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟138,742.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Im currently battling with Bitterness im grateful for everything God has blessed me with but there’s something I lack and it’s bothering me. People especially a ill-minded family member often lets me know im lacking in this department and often makes me even more bitter about it. How to deal with bitterness as a Christian and overcome it ?
I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling with bitterness, and will try to use Bible verses to help you. I will also say a prayer for you, as I can be quick to judge others as well.

First and foremost, it's essential to remember that as Christians, we are called to be transformed by the renewing of our minds (Romans 12:2). Bitterness is a destructive emotion that can hinder us from experiencing God's peace and joy in our lives. Here are 4 Bible verses that can help you deal with bitterness:

1. "Do everything without grumbling or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation. Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky as you hold firmly to the word of life. And then I will be able to boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor in vain." - Philippians 2:14-16 (NIV)

This passage encourages us to live our lives without complaining or arguing, which can fuel bitterness. Instead, we are called to shine as lights in the world and hold forth the word of life.

2. "Bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you." - Luke 6:28 (NIV)

Jesus' teaching on loving our enemies and praying for those who mistreat us can be challenging but essential in overcoming bitterness. This verse reminds us of the importance of extending grace and forgiveness to those who hurt us, even when it's difficult.

3. "Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you." - Ephesians 4:31-32 (NIV)

This passage encourages us to get rid of all bitterness and replace it with kindness, tenderness, forgiveness, and other godly qualities. By focusing on these qualities, we can begin to heal from the hurt and move towards healing and restoration.

4. "Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken." - Psalm 55:22 (NIV)

Finally, it's beneficial to know that God is our refuge and strength, and He cares for us deeply. When we cast our cares on Him, He will sustain us and never let us fall (Psalm 55:22). This verse reminds us of the importance of trusting God in all things, even when we're struggling with difficult emotions like bitterness.

I hope these verses and valuable insights provide you with some encouragement and guidance as you seek to deal with bitterness and overcome it in your life. May God bless you richly as you continue on this journey towards healing and growth.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm sorry you're dealing with their unkind remarks. Pray against bitterness and the root of bitterness which is the worsened condition. Permitting it to remain is often the door that opens us to infirmities. Entrust the Lord with the desires of your heart. Don't listen to naysers.

If you need additional resources on prayer let me know and I'll share them.

~bella

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟138,742.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You"ve gotten some good responses.

Also, "Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:" (Eph 4:26)

God knows we can't do this without totally relying on Him.
Ephesians has a lot of good Bible verses. I have quoted from Ephesians a few times here.

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟808,804.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
After posting Eph 4:26, inadvertently ran across online info about the benefits of forgiving. Knew there would be less stress but there's research thar reveals a host of mental - changes our brain -and physical benefits.

Just from following Him and His Word even in this one regard.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟589,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The bitterness is wrong, and God can easily get rid of bitterness.

But why am I bitter? Maybe I am letting certain things I want have power over me so I get bitter about not having what I want.

Perhaps, I am being dictatorial and feeling entitled to what I demand.

In this case the bitterness is trouble, but also I might be making too much out of something so it can have power over me.

Our Apostle Paul says,

"I will not be brought under the power of any," in 1 Corinthians 6:12.

So, if I am going to have or want a blessing, I need to be ready to handle problems without getting bitter, be humble about what I want > trust God about how things go and what I get or not; and appreciate the loving that I always can do, instead of my attention being controlled by what can get me bitter.

I need to be ready to forgive.

On the cross, Jesus prayed,

"Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do." (in Luke 23:34)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟405,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
find something you're proud of about yourself and focus on that. learn not to care what that person thinks. Put it in perspective "who are they to make me think bad of myself?"

Upvote 0

QuestionQuest74

Oct 12, 2023
Fort Lauderdale
✟26,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
find something you're proud of about yourself and focus on that. learn not to care what that person thinks. Put it in perspective "who are they to make me think bad of myself?"
Thank you

Upvote 0