• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Anxiety issues related to insomnia and terrible things happening in the world

Belonging to Abba

Jesus loves you!!!
Jun 27, 2015
✟39,535.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It seems like I often feel some anxiety even to a slight extent. Some of the anxiety is sleep related. Because in the past there were a few occasions where I had serious trouble sleeping, sometimes I feel some anxiety if it is getting close to my bedtime and I don’t feel tired. This is especially true on Sunday night where I have slept in during the weekend and have to readjust to getting up at 5 in the morning for work.

When I say serious trouble sleeping, there were a number of occasions in the past number of years where I would get no sleep for two nights / days in a row, and sometimes these experiences were connected to going to the psych ward. Whenever two nights in a row with no sleep happens, I have to call off of work, and it would put me in a place where what I think I remember is if I wasn’t able to fall asleep after getting home from work after the first night, I would try to call off in the evening, but if I ended up falling asleep I would go in to work after all. So somehow sleep is connected to anxiety related to the workplace, especially when you have to report this to someone and they may not understand or want to know if you have caught something.

Another source of anxiety where I have felt a tinge of anxiety is knowing about terrible things happening in other countries and imagining what it would be like if it happened here. For instance, I heard on the news recently that a missile landed on an apartment complex in Ukraine killing or injuring residents, and living at an apartment myself, I think that could be horrific.

Additionally before moving to a large city I live by currently, I heard reports of crime in the area. On a radio station in the area I had heard that the crime was spreading from the city into the suburbs and if I remember correctly, they reported a shooting at a gas station. Furthermore, I had visited a guys Bible study in the area where it was shared that one of the guys was jumped at a gas station in the area.

As Christians we are supposed to have no fear of death, but if I am honest, I will say that the idea of my body falling apart in the future is something that makes me uncomfortable, and if I suddenly faced that risk, I think I could be afraid in that moment.

Has anyone else dealt with these kind of anxiety issues?

• Prayers
Reactions: AlexB23

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟112,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It seems like I often feel some anxiety even to a slight extent. Some of the anxiety is sleep related. Because in the past there were a few occasions where I had serious trouble sleeping, sometimes I feel some anxiety if it is getting close to my bedtime and I don’t feel tired. This is especially true on Sunday night where I have slept in during the weekend and have to readjust to getting up at 5 in the morning for work.

When I say serious trouble sleeping, there were a number of occasions in the past number of years where I would get no sleep for two nights / days in a row, and sometimes these experiences were connected to going to the psych ward. Whenever two nights in a row with no sleep happens, I have to call off of work, and it would put me in a place where what I think I remember is if I wasn’t able to fall asleep after getting home from work after the first night, I would try to call off in the evening, but if I ended up falling asleep I would go in to work after all. So somehow sleep is connected to anxiety related to the workplace, especially when you have to report this to someone and they may not understand or want to know if you have caught something.

Another source of anxiety where I have felt a tinge of anxiety is knowing about terrible things happening in other countries and imagining what it would be like if it happened here. For instance, I heard on the news recently that a missile landed on an apartment complex in Ukraine killing or injuring residents, and living at an apartment myself, I think that could be horrific.

Additionally before moving to a large city I live by currently, I heard reports of crime in the area. On a radio station in the area I had heard that the crime was spreading from the city into the suburbs and if I remember correctly, they reported a shooting at a gas station. Furthermore, I had visited a guys Bible study in the area where it was shared that one of the guys was jumped at a gas station in the area.

As Christians we are supposed to have no fear of death, but if I am honest, I will say that the idea of my body falling apart in the future is something that makes me uncomfortable, and if I suddenly faced that risk, I think I could be afraid in that moment.

Belonging To Abba, I understand that your experiences have been challenging, and it's essential to remind ourselves of the promises and reassurances found in Scripture. Here are some Bible verses that might bring you encouragement and solace:

1. Philippians 4:6-7 - "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
2. Matthew 6:25-34 - Link to Bible Gateway, as this is a long passage: Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 6:25-34 - English Standard Version
3. Psalm 46:1-3 - Weirdly formatted when I tried pasting, so here is the link Bible Gateway passage: Psalm 46:1-3 - English Standard Version
4. Romans 8:28-39 - Bible Gateway passage: Romans 8:28-39 - English Standard Version
5. 1 Peter 5:6-7 - "Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you."

These verses remind us of God's love, care, and protection, as well as the importance of trusting in His sovereignty over our lives. May these words bring you peace and comfort during your anxious moments and help you rest assured that God is always with you.

More info:
Here is an excerpt from a Bible analysis that I made on 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 (the verse is about how our bodies are the temple for the Holy spirit, but the analysis also covers Ephesians 2:8-9: "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast."

Excerpt: According to Christian belief, if a person has accepted Jesus as their savior and believed in Him for salvation before their death, they will still go to heaven even if they die from an accident. The Bible teaches that salvation is a free gift from God through faith in Jesus (Ephesians 2:8-9), and that nothing, not even our own actions or mistakes, can ultimately separate us from God's love (Romans 8:38-39).

My post on not fearing death, in reply to a guy from overseas: Contemplating death...

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟144,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Yes. I have been dealing with GAD probably all my life but has gotten worse in the last few years.
I've been taking Ltheanine and Gaba which help a little(and checked it out with my doctor)The last year or so I've been having trouble sleeping so I can really relate to feeling anxiety in the afternoon and at bed time but I've been staying away from elcetronics late at night, reading the Bible and other print books under a reading lamp, keeping the lights down, etc, and taking small amounts of melatonin(which I discussed with my doctor)I even had blood work done which showed nothing at all, I'm healthy(for my age)I think the anxiety and insomnia is a feeback loop, in other words you get worred about not sleeping, your mind won't shut off, etc. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. I know it's hard to not worry about things, I've been trying to train myself to shut my mind off at night. I've been getting better sleep these days but still have an occasional bad night. it helps to also keep bedtime and getting up time consistent, and get early morning sunlight if possible. I work too, part time, so I have to be up and at work even on nights I didn't sleep that well. I do a lot of prayer.

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟71,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am a news junky and I think part of your answer to clear some anxiety is found In Isaiah 33. Watching gruesome news, events and even too much political garbage will give anyone some sleep issues. The other's advice is great too. Just yesterday, I had anxiety about my health and meanwhile at 4Am the hotel I was at was shaking slightly do to some construction. I thought how was I going to even make it to my destination the next day? I cast it on the Lord and finally got some sleep. Since times are only going to get worse, I pray we all can build up our character to be able to trust more fully that God is good and has a plan for our lives. God bless!

The sinners in Zion are afraid; fearfulness hath surprised the hypocrites. Who among us shall dwell with the devouring fire? who among us shall dwell with everlasting burnings?
15He that walketh righteously, and speaketh uprightly; he that despiseth the gain of oppressions, that shaketh his hands from holding of bribes, that stoppeth his ears from hearing of blood, and shutteth his eyes from seeing evil;
16He shall dwell on high: his place of defence shall be the munitions of rocks: bread shall be given him; his waters shall be sure.

Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟285,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My wife and I have no children. Our siblings are far away. We are pretty much on our own
As we come into our 70's I have had anxiety about our lack of support and inevitably one of us will be completely alone.

But that is the thinking of the flesh. The Spirit tells me that God knows our needs and how best to meet them.

I just need to listen and believe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0