And she was on Trump's list for VP, too...

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟371,864.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
In her book, Noem writes that she took Cricket on a hunting trip with older dogs in hopes of calming down the wild puppy. Instead, Cricket chased the pheasants while "having the time of her life."

On the way home from the hunting trip, Noem writes that she stopped to talk to a family. Cricket got out of Noem's truck and attacked and killed some of the family's chickens, then bit the governor.

On Sunday, she defended her decision to kill the dog, saying that "South Dakota law states that dogs who attack and kill livestock can be put down."

In the book, Noem also writes that her family also owned a "nasty and mean" male goat that smelled bad and liked to chase her kids. She decided to go ahead and kill the goat, too. She writes that the goat survived the first shot, so she went back to the truck, got another shell, then shot him again, killing him.

Noem’s story has drawn criticism from Democrats and Republicans alike and grim jokes at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner on Saturday night. Ana Navarro, a former Republican political strategist, said Noem was “auditioning for Cruella De Vil” in a panel on CNN’s “State of the Union” on Sunday morning. S.E. Cupp, another Republican pundit who also hunts with dogs, pointed out that “there are 592 other things you can do with a dog that won't hunt besides kill it in front of your kid and construction workers.” Conservative commentator Meghan McCain also criticized Noem, writing in a post on X “you can recover from a lot of things in politics, change the narrative etc. - but not from killing a dog. All I will distinctly think about Kristi Noem now is that she murdered a puppy who was ‘acting up’ -which is obviously cruel and insane.” The night before, comedian Matt Friend mocked Noem in Trump’s voice at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner, saying he was “killing this dinner harder than Kristi Noem kills the puppies”—drawing gasps from the crowd in Washington. Ryan Busse, a Democratic gubernatorial candidate in Montana, criticized Noem as a hunting dog owner on social media, writing “anyone who has ever owned a birddog knows how disgusting, lazy and evil this is.”

One of the disturbing things about this, is that she thought it was a good idea to brag about it in a book.

• Wow
Reactions: Hank77

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟371,864.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If a 14 month old dog kills a farmer's chickens and also bites the owner, it is lawful to, unfortunately, kill that dog.
It's legal to kill a dog, period. But decent people still draw conclusions. And we don't have the dog's side of this. I have never had one of my dogs bite me.

"If you take in a dog and give it a home, it will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man." - Mark Twain

But there is this:

Your Dog Is a Better Judge of Character Than You Are and Science Approves This Fact

Maybe, the dog was right. Noem's behavior certainly gives us reason to think so.

• Wow
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Malleeboy

Jul 31, 2021
Melbourne
✟50,247.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"The Barbarian", can I presume that you are an urban dweller.

On a farm, all sorts of animals are killed. All sorts of vermin, like snakes, rabbits, hares, feral cats, rats and mice.
Animals for food like sheep, chickens, pigs, goats etc I often had my bowl of Wheat Bix (brekkie), whilst an animal, that had been slaughtered the night before, was carved up on the table.

If a dog has taken to attacking and killing livestock, I would have no issue with putting it down.

• Winner
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟371,864.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"The Barbarian", can I presume that you are an urban dweller.
Grew up in a rural area. If you were on a farm, you'd be aware of the partnership between humans and dogs there.
If a dog has taken to attacking and killing livestock, I would have no issue with putting it down.
A puppy chased some chickens (she said). And she claims it bit her. I can't imagine what it would take for a puppy to bite the human that takes care of it. But she clearly was offended that it wasn't a good bird dog. The rest is excuses. She's being raked over the coals by normal Americans, and she deserves it.

Intriguing that she was still angry about the way it didn't hunt that she decided to kill a goat as well. Then her anger was assuaged.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟371,864.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's not going away...

Noem, one of the top contenders to be former President Donald Trump’s vice presidential nominee, recalled the shooting in a new book, No Going Back. In it, she says she killed Cricket, her 14-month-old wirehaired pointer, because the dog had behavioral issues and wasn’t taking to the training provided. The anecdote is included as an attempt at touting Noem’s decision-making skills, and to highlight how the governor can make “difficult, messy and ugly” choices when needed.

Instead of conveying that idea, however, Noem’s revelation has prompted a wave of backlash, angering animal rights experts and pretty much anyone who likes dogs — which is a lot of the US voting public. More than 60 million US households have at least one dog, according to the American Veterinary Medicine Association, and a 2023 study by the Pew Research Center found that 97 percent of pet owners see their companions as part of the family.

Americans’ affinity for pets — and attachment to dogs, especially — helps explain the visceral reaction Noem has faced over the news. The seriousness with which Americans approach canine welfare has helped and hurt politicians in the past. The uproar over Noem’s decision has political insiders suggesting that it could be enough to sink her chances for VP and that it will harm her political image overall.

“Trump isn’t a dog person necessarily, but I think he understands that you can’t choose a puppy killer as your pick, for blatantly obvious reasons,” an unnamed Trump ally told the New York Post.

It's sad that adult humans can be like this, but it's reassuring that both republicans and democrats (and apparently Trump) realize this kind of thing is unacceptable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Malleeboy

Jul 31, 2021
Melbourne
✟50,247.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Grew up in a rural area. If you were on a farm, you'd be aware of the partnership between humans and dogs there.
Grew up on 2,500 acre Mallee farm with my extended family. Dogs were for working not pets. As kids we were forbidden from patting or treating them as pets, grandad was strict on that. They were proper trained sheep dogs and therefore expensive tools, not fun friends. Cat was a pet we could play with. (FYI the avatar is me at 3, holding Miracle, a cow born prem (very small) which survived in the drought of 72, near our milking shed)
A puppy chased some chickens (she said). And she claims it bit her. I can't imagine what it would take for a puppy to bite the human that takes care of it. But she clearly was offended that it wasn't a good bird dog. The rest is excuses. She's being raked over the coals by normal Americans, and she deserves it.

Intriguing that she was still angry about the way it didn't hunt that she decided to kill a goat as well. Then her anger was assuaged.
Chickens cost money, once a dog start attacking them or humans it is going to be a problem.

Most of the people with a problem with her disposing of a problem dog, would have no issue with killing an unwanted baby, Infact they would problem politically reward her for it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟371,864.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Chickens cost money, once a dog start attacking them or humans it is going to be a problem.
Funny how that only "happened" after she decided the puppy wasn't very good as a hunting dog. Her claim that it bit her is not believable at all.

Most of the people with a problem with her disposing of a problem dog, would have no issue with killing an unwanted baby,
If you think so, you don't really relate to normal Americans.

What she did was despicable, and she is rightly being called out on it. If she killed her child, that would have been infinitely worse. But she gets no credit for just killing the puppy.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟371,864.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's sad that liberals and neoconservatives are judging her unfairly. Sad, but NOT unexpected.
This is how bad it's gotten. If someone is of the right political persuasion, there are people who will overlook her killing puppies.

Edit: I notice that a lot of conservatives are now criticizing Noem for her casual cruelty to her puppy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟371,864.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Kristi Noem ‘had a shot’ at Trump VP slot before dog-killing boast, sources say

No dog person himself, apparently even Trump sees the bad optics in having a ‘puppy killer’ as a running mate
Kristi Noem, the Republican governor of South Dakota, “had a shot” at being named Donald Trump’s presidential running mate – but blew it by boasting about shooting her dog to death, a Trump insider reportedly said.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟285,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm thinking a lot of "true conservatives" draw the line at killing puppies. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.
Maybe Vambram can confirm for us.

• Haha
Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟454,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's sad that liberals and neoconservatives are judging her unfairly. Sad, but NOT unexpected.
I find it much more sad that you seem to equate "legal behavior" with "acceptable behavior". Even more so that you seem to equate it with behavior that should be beyond criticism. You have a very low bar in that regards.

Reactions: Elliewaves
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟249,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Why do liberals support abortion but don't agree with killing a 14 month old dog which had killed a farmer's chickens and also bitten his owner?
According to them, the unborn "is not a person" and it's "just a clump of cells" Apparently dogs have more rights than the unborn do. :rolleyes:...but we are getting off topic

Upvote 0