Germany's sin city - Munich
✟20,130.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I personally, can't play any video games anymore. I personally cannot control them. Not trying to discourage anything, but I feel like even if the games are clean, they are addictive. I now prefer activities that include creativity and productivity, such as drawing and making music.

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟123,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
I personally, can't play any video games anymore. I personally cannot control them. Not trying to discourage anything, but I feel like even if the games are clean, they are addictive. I now prefer activities that include creativity and productivity, such as drawing and making music.
My kids never watched cartoons actually no TV …. they were limited to a handful of Disney movies…which they memorized.

I got a great deal on Xbox 360 for the kids…. but as parents we had to try it out …after the kids went to bed we stayed up till around 5 am playing this for 3 straight nights….. at which point I told my wife “we can ‘t control ourselves ….how are we going to limit the kids” …the next day ….I threw it in the dumpster… the kids never played any games and still don’t because their parents couldn’t control themselves.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟166,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
My kids never watched cartoons actually no TV …. they were limited to a handful of Disney movies…which they memorized.

I got a great deal on Xbox 360 for the kids…. but as parents we had to try it out …after the kids went to bed we stayed up till around 5 am playing this for 3 straight nights….. at which point I told my wife “we can ‘t control ourselves ….how are we going to limit the kids” …the next day ….I threw it in the dumpster… the kids never played any games and still don’t because their parents couldn’t control themselves.
Did quite a bit of gaming over the years, stopped a few years back. The old games were fun, any of the more modern games are built around addictive aspects,.... gotta get achievements, gotta get new toys and such in the game, gotta be ready for the next expansion, etc, etc, etc.

It's a hamster wheel meant to keep your monthly subscriptions going.

• Winner
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟218,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I feel like theyv’e been dumbed down to appeal to more people. Instead of something challenging to over come & work your skills, now it’s everyone gets a medal.
I feel like people get addicted to them & that holds them back from doing real things.
I fell once you've played a few games & gotten good at them, the next game is more of the same.
I’ve pretty much given them up due to work obligations
I still like older Nintendo & sports games & play them once in while

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟740,257.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I guess it depends upon the person. Sure it is better not to play games if you can deal with it. But I enjoy the casual nightly game after work. I have managed to fit it into my day as a balanced part of my life. I still spend a decent amount of time in prayer (a very important thing), and help with the family chores.

The biggest woe with gaming is the kids, they also game, but often in an unbalanced way. It has its benefits and disadvantages. As a family, we cope with it, but with the kids, it does cause some stress around homework time.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟969,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think it kind of depends on where you are in life, personality factors, propensity toward obsessive behavior or addictions, etc. I raised two sons who were big into gaming which I allowed but tried to moderate quite unsuccessfully. Every Friday night they and their friends filled my basement and ate my pizza while having LAN parties for gaming. This went on from middle school through high school. Out of my basement came four highly compensated IT professionals...one working for Microsoft, one for Amazon, one for a private software company, and one for a large medical research firm. They all came out of college making more money their first year than I had ever made in my life.

So who was right? Them or the red-faced dad shouting down the basement stairs to turn off the computers and go out and get a life? Ours has become a tech-oriented world. I reckon it can get out of control for some folks, but it is not all bad.

Upvote 0

BlackMan4Jesus

Gay, Christian, and proud
Jun 3, 2023
Birmingham
✟2,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Addictions are idolatry,
Video Games Are Addiction forming.
Don't play them myself but did before the LORD called me back to repent
You people are weird. the lord called you to repent? I doubt it. learn to control yourself, it's not that hard. Addictions are not good, but video games? really? yes, they can be addicting, but there are way worse things to be addicted to. which not to burst your bubble, but I'm pretty sure you people are addicted to something. is there a food you like a lot? you may be addicted to that food. if liking something a lot, or doing something a lot is considered addiction or idolatry, then you're all down for a fall. food, sleep, even your addiction to god is not good if that's the case. My mother had such an addiction to God her health was in shambles. is that good? just because you enjoy video games in your free time does not mean it's evil. even if it's for hours on end. what, you'd rather spend your free time on your knees begging god for forgiveness for living life? ok.
You guys addiction to God is not good either. there's a love for God and theres addiction to God that causes you to be not normal.
If God looked down on me for playing video games, or enjoying my life, then I don't want to be around that God. I don't live my life to be fearful of everything I do. Tell me what God needs your attention 24/7? Play some video games if that makes you happy. You're not doing drugs. you're not being a s*x addict. you're not watching p**n. you're playing video games. it's not evil. jeez.

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Hour IS AT HAND

I think the AoD is on the earth
Aug 21, 2023
Phoenix
Visit site
✟12,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've been addicted to video games since I was a kid. Once I got saved, I stopped playing violent video games, but still spent countless hours playing. About to hit a month of no video games, and in that time I have been in the Word so much more, more consistently going to Church, praying, doing research, and overall preparing for what is to come, the return of Jesus Christ. I cant imagine Jesus sitting around staring at a screen or playing games, because ultimately video games is selfishness. Instead of that time entertaining yourself, you could be sharing the gospel, or sharpening iron with iron.

• Winner
Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟429,446.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree with you @LW97Nils ! I used to be an avid gamer (4 to 5 hours a day!) It is an addiction and a huge problem for those involved in the habit. I personally would rather use the computer than use a PS5, XBox, or whatever system is popular nowadays.

Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,013,040.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
As I have gotten older, my interest in gaming has steadily decreased, and I've promised myself that the Nintendo Switch I have now will be my last console. I typically prefer older games to the newer ones, which are just too complicated for my taste.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I still enjoy playing strategy games like Civ 6 or Stellaris or RPGs like Skyrim or Red Dead R. I'm a strategic thinker by nature and my job has very little of that, so this gives me my strategy fix. I might play a couple hours on a Saturday morning while my wife is shopping.

Upvote 0

ClaytonCF

Gandolf
Aug 31, 2023
England
✟7,957.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Computer Gaming can be educational, develop problem solving skills and motion perception.

If you moderate your usage, it is a good form of entertainment.
(Roleplaying and Boardgames can also be fun/interesting)

I will always enjoy gaming, I make sure I do it in moderation though.

Upvote 0

I Am Hugh

Service Android
Sep 27, 2023
Pangaea Proxima
Visit site
✟11,291.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Celibate

Doulas Adam's Salmon of Doubt says: "I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things."

Religious people tend to have a variation of this. My mother was dragged around from denomination to denomination when she was young and became irreligious due to the hypocrisy. Television was banned but the only person in the congregation that had one was the preacher's family. Video games are violent but John Wayne is okay. Rock music is the devil's music because of drugs and sex but country music with gambling, adultery and alcoholism is fine. Much later when my mother was studying with the JWs they was always warning her that the internet was Satanic. I told her to tell them about the Watchtower.org which was being put up at that time. They didn't believe me. I gave them the URL. Now they use the internet in their ministry and meetings.

It's just silliness. Ultimately I think it should be up to the individual, but my own opinion on the subject has always been the same as the video below.

Upvote 0

dunk_x

Aug 21, 2021
VA
✟15,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The way games are designed now, are designed to keep making you come back. Back in the older FPS games like Call of Duty, Halo, on Xbox and Xbox 360, there used to be a max rank you can reach, or you can optionally choose to start over. But at least you can finish. Now games are designed to be "never-ending", advertised as Free to Play, full of micro-transactions.

It's kind of a sad state. Older games that did have a final/top rank, it would almost feel like an accomplishment to reach top rank in a game, whether it was just be XP earned or skill-rank achievement (Halo 2/3 came to mind). Now games have "seasons" every couple months where rank is reset.

Modern games to me are a mirror to secular society - a never-ending pursuit of empty "happiness" that millions continue to get fooled by today. Happiness being the top rank that doesn't exist.

Every once in a great while, I play a trucking game called American Truck Simulator or European Truck Simulator. It's non-competitive single-player truck driving game with a progress system, and you literally just drive trucks.

• Winner
Upvote 0