Your opinion on Prenuptial Agreement?

Your opinion on Prenuptial Agreement?

• Yes, every Christian marriage should have a Prenup.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • No, none of any Christian marriages should have a Prenup for any reason.

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Situational: Only if your partner is not a Christian, then yes you should have a Prenup.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Maybe. Yes in some cases. No in others. (Please explain in your post.)

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters

Hotinco

Mar 6, 2016
Colorado, Denver Metro
✟11,941.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My stance in the past has been NO this is just preparing for failure. However the older I get that attitude changes. I have friends my age who have lost a spouse, and going into a second marriage. Both parties now have some assets and families to protect. While you go into that situation expecting a lifetime commitment unfortuniatley we are human and all fall short at some time. I would hate to see a friend lose half of everything they spent a lifetime building to someone who is not deserving. The prenup should only come into play if there is a complete failure in the marriage.

I do see a place for a prenup that covers infidelity and just walking away. So many people today are willing to walk away from a marriage for such crazy things. It should be for infidelity or abuse, otherwise you get nothing (there might be another good reason or two). Maybe it can be more of an incentive to stick it out and work on the relationship.

Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
In short a Prenuptial Agreement is a law-bounding agreement where if the couple divorces, each person would only get the portion as listed in the agreement. So there will not be a 50/50 split of the properties and assets.

What is your opinion on Prenuptial Agreements for Christians?

I did some online research and generally in the "no" camp, they said Christians shouldn't expect a divorce so there is no need to plan for a divorce.

However fact is Christians do divorce, for a large variety of different reasons.

For the "yes" camp, Christians should marry purely out of love. As such it is good to prove to their partner that money wasn't even in the consideration. And so it is good to sign a prenup.

Discuss. =)

If you have assets you want to protect, then it's a good idea. Christian marriages fail at the same rate as non Christian marriages, more than half of first marriages fail within 5 years, second marriages over 70%, and third over 90%. If however, you don't have much, and don't want much...take your chances. It is more likely than not that you will end up in divorce court though, one way or another.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟197,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you want one, get one. If you don’t, don’t. The complexities are too much for anybody but the couple to decide.

I’ve been married and divorced, but I was lucky enough to have the divorce be resolved in less than a week from filing to dissolving. I’m married again, we didn’t get a prenup, but as a result we are constantly consulting with our financial planner and lawyer to make sure our assets are protected. There are a thousand things pre, post, progress nups cover that’s I didn’t realize, a lot of it having nothing to do with divorce.

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can't vote on anything because I do not know these "lives" you are generally speaking about. Personally, it's a no for me because:
1. I did not go out on my own trying to find someone once I turned a new leaf.
2. Believing in God that this man is right for me in His sight.
3. I've entrusted my full life to God and have faith that this man is for me for the rest of my life.

In other words, I do not trust a man's tradition of law-binding material over God. With God comes truth in all things and nothing is hidden that He does not want us to know about Him (those that diligently seek Him). There are tons of loop-holes in man's law, but God doesn't have any of that except Grace and many other aspects of Him that fall in place - He is a God of order, not chaos.

:yellowheart:

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Unless one of you has a great deal of money, I don't see the point.

That could and should make a difference although usually what one has attained in life before marriage stays theirs unless they merge the monies.
M-Bob

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, a prenup is just showing upfront that you think there should be an exit plan from their marriage.

Maybe against our will the other will exit.
M-Bob

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,109,444.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
No, a prenup is just showing upfront that you think there should be an exit plan from their marriage.

If you don't plan on exiting, why wouldn't you sign a prenup?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you don't plan on exiting, why wouldn't you sign a prenup?
Everyone exits at some point. Say you have a share holding of an established family business. A year after you get married some drunk driver takes you out and leaves you childless. Your wife now owns your share of the stock. She remarries and now that share is in the hands of non family owners.

IMO in such a case a prenup is required to keep that from happening.

Upvote 0