Your opinion about speaking in tongues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightBearer

Veteran
Aug 9, 2002
Visit site
✟19,072.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
allieisme said:
So LightBearer.. do you think God uses people to speak to the church through speaking in tongues, or not since you dont think it is "completely unnecessary today".
So then~~If thats the case, and I'm not trying to argue, I promise, just trying to understand what others think...
Why would God just decide.. oops ok enough time has elapsed with speaking in tongues.. I do not need someone to speak for me in a church where I am welcomed.. Basically what Im asking is, why do you think it is completely unecessary today? I read what you wrote, but can you elaborate more on why you think that?
Not only is the Bible available in more or less any language but God's organization is also very well equipped today to teach anyone the bible in any laguage. No need for "miraculous speaking in tongues" because many are trained in different languages for this very purpose.

Neither is there any need for new prophecies to be given in a congregation because we today have the complete word of God, it's all in there.

The miraculouse gifts have served their useful purpose. As I said, they were given to establish the newly formed Christian Congregation, their ministry and to give evidence that God was now backing them instead of the Jewish congregation. Once that was achieved the gifts would cease, Paul said as much.

1 Cor 13:8-10 Whether there are gifts of prophesying, they will be done away with; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will be done away with. For we have partial knowledge and we prophesy partially; but when that which is complete arrives (LOVE), that which is partial will be done away with.

Love was to be the identifying mark of the Christian Congregation not miraculous gifts.

John 13:35 By this all will know that YOU are my disciples, if YOU have love (not gifts) among yourselves.”

Once the congregation was established and they had been built up with and recognized by the God given fruitage of love that they had amongst themselves rather than the gifts, these were done away with.

Upvote 0

radorth

Contributor
Jul 29, 2003
LA area
Visit site
✟16,044.00
Faith
Non-Denom
We do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the spirit makes intercession for us according to the will of God. "with groanings which cannot be uttered."

Whether Paul is referring to tongues there I don't know. He is certainly saying that there are things we cannot understand or communicate through thought and speech.

I do know that there have been many deep feelings in my heart, and flashes of insight, which I could not put into words or bring to the surface without the gift of tongues and someone to interpret it.

I will admit though that I seldom engage it now, but many years ago it was a great boon to my spiritual life and my relationship with God. It lifted me into his very presence, and sometimes led me to make wise decisions in the most difficult of circumstances.

Some of you should pray I engage in it more often.

:D Rad

Upvote 0

tkoman

Oct 4, 2003
✟17,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
HeatherJay said:
I think, and my pastor agreed and rebuked his friend, that it's a terrible thing to go into God's house and try to trick the congregation or God Himself. I think if you go into such a thing with the purpose of proving it wrong, you'll probably get the results you're looking for. Only because God does not play petty games with us and if our motive is to use such a sacred thing against the church, then why would God give us the proof we so desire?
I agree. However, I would venture to use the same argument against that church. After all, who is doing the tricking here? How does someone spiritually gifted to interpret tongues not interpret simple Greek? If anyone is playing games in God's house, I would think of pointing the finger in both directions.

I can't stress enough, however, that your pastor was right to rebuke him, it's frankly God's business, so this post is not to exonerate the Greek guy, but it does sound funny to hear the story. I mean, really, what's up with that?

Upvote 0

allieisme

I am ME
Apr 1, 2002
✟19,803.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
HeatherJay said:
I think that you should probably be cautious though about what your preacher is doing. I would say if you feel the presence of God, then you're probably right :)

Love, Heather
Thats just it though, I totally could and can feel the presence of God, when I am in church but ever since me and my husband were talking to my sister about church, and speaking in tongues was brought up, my husband all of a sudden say he had his suspicions, and that is now where I am drawing mine from..from my husband. He has never once told me he doubted our pastor until that very evening when my sister had gone to church with me and had nothing but negetivity come out of her mouth, so my husband was feeding off of what she said.. So since he said he has doubts about the pastor both speaking and interpreting, in the back of my head now, is "Is the pastor faking this or what?"

I do want to apologize to everyone though.. I do believe I started this in the wrong forum, and said it was ok to move, but it hasnt been, so I'm assuming its alright.. and furthermore, I didnt mean for this to turn into a debate, so I hope no one is offended by what is being said and debated against.

Upvote 0

Doctrine1st

Official nitwit
Oct 11, 2002
Seattle
Visit site
✟12,523.00
Faith
Politics
US-Others
WinAce said:
For a secular, scientific perspective on "speaking in tongues", a.k.a. glossolalia, see this webpage.

If you want, do a double-blind test. Record a speaker shouting off his pseudo-mutterings with a videocamera or tape recording, then have several interpreters independently translate.

Then compare the results to see if they translated the same output, indicating a real language, or wildly contradicted each other's interpretation of the speaker's words, indicating the Rorsach ink blot effect (called pareidolia).
You do realize that just as the Holy Spirit leads different people to different interpretations of scripture, doctrines, and beliefs, so too does the Holy Spirit lead different interpreters, to different interpretations of the same tongue. :D

Upvote 0

EltronRangamma

Grand Imperial Asiatic
Jul 31, 2003
Good, Togo
Visit site
✟8,491.00
Faith
Protestant
Soul_Searcher said:
Hi allieisme,

The whole speaking in tounges thing has been debated forever. Personally, I prefer one tongue, the one who said, "Love God with your whole heart, mind, soul and strength; love your neighbor as yourself. Upon these two commandments stand all the laws of the prophets."

It does sound like your preacher likes to put on a good show, but what does it have to do with Jesus and Loving God and one another? How does his speaking and/or interpreting 'tongues' impact the way you live your life and treat others and show God's love through your actions?

Tell you what; pick a verse from the Gospels, such as "do not judge" and act on that verse every day for a week. See what happens. Or contemplate the story of the Prodigal Son or the Good Samaritan (for examples) all day Sunday and then observe yourself and others during the week and see how your and their actions reflect or diverge from the parable you choose.

In other words, let Jesus speak to you alone, and incorporate what he said into your life; don't let ANYONE tell you what God wants you to do, and don't let any preacher's antics divert you from the message of Love Jesus left us with.
Good post ... one question, were you formerly an atheist when you came on this site?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

allieisme

I am ME
Apr 1, 2002
✟19,803.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
WinAce said:
For a secular, scientific perspective on "speaking in tongues", a.k.a. glossolalia, see this webpage.

If you want, do a double-blind test. Record a speaker shouting off his pseudo-mutterings with a videocamera or tape recording, then have several interpreters independently translate.

Then compare the results to see if they translated the same output, indicating a real language, or wildly contradicted each other's interpretation of the speaker's words, indicating the Rorsach ink blot effect (called pareidolia).
Hmm... I'm still wondering why you would take it to several different interpreters.. Maybe its just from past experience alone, that when you are given the gift to give the message, only one person has the interpretation..
I am wrong on this too? :scratch:

Upvote 0

allieisme

I am ME
Apr 1, 2002
✟19,803.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
NotTroy said:
Why send a message in some strange language and then maybe have someone interpret it? On the other hand, the gift of prophecy is real and is much more practical. If your going to send a message, just have the messanger speak normally so that everyone can understand it.

I don't want to offend any Charismatic Christians here. My opinion is just that, an opinion and I may very well be wrong. In the long run it is not a very important topic of debate and I don't mind going to Charismatic churches, I just feel a little odd when the whole prayer language thing starts up, heh.

When you are given a message, its not that you are not speaking normally, its that it is God's language. I dont understand how it isnt pratical.. And perhaps the message isnt spoken in our language because God knows and put someone there at that paticular time to be the interpreter.. So why would it need only be in one language?

Upvote 0
I am a Pentecostal and I have been around this for a while. When there are tongues spoken and an interprpretation given this is called tongues and interpretation. God will many times give a pastor or someone in the Church the interpretation of what was spoken. There are times where an interpretation needs to be given so that the gift of the Holy Spirit can minister to someone perhaps that may need a touch from God. You can read about the gifts of the Holy Ghost in 1Corinthians 12. I do not want to debate this but there are some who believe that the gifts of the Holy Ghost were only for the Bible days and are no longer available for today. Hebrews 13-9 says Jesus is the same yesterday, today, and forever. He does not change. Tongues and interpretation are a bit different than a prayer language and just worshipping God by prayin in the spirit wich is tongues. Tongues according to scripture are the evidence of the Holy Ghost. There are Christians who have never recieved this gift, but they are still Christians if they have recieved Christ.

Upvote 0

radorth

Contributor
Jul 29, 2003
LA area
Visit site
✟16,044.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I have no idea if a person can be given both gifts, but I'm thinking no...otherwise how could anyone count them as credible?
Hi Heather.

I'm afraid your teachers are somewhat ignorant of the scripture.

Paul says "Let him who speaks in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret."

Therefore you can have both gifts. So even though somebody could fake it, that does not mean we should assume that.

I love your avitar "Kisser of boo-boos" !!

Rad

Upvote 0

HeatherJay

Kisser of Boo-Boos
Sep 1, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟41,276.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
radorth said:
Hi Heather.

I'm afraid your teachers are somewhat ignorant of the scripture.

Paul says "Let him who speaks in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret."

Therefore you can have both gifts. So even though somebody could fake it, that does not mean we should assume that.

I love your avitar "Kisser of boo-boos" !!

Rad
Well, it's probably more me being ignorant of the scripture in this area than my pastor or my other friends who've experienced a charismatic service :). I've never been to one so, like I said, I'm certainly no expert on the subject. I do appreciate your information, though. I really find it interesting...thank you:)

Love, Heather

PS Thanks for the compliment on my avitar...those are my two little angels lovin' on each other :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

allieisme

I am ME
Apr 1, 2002
✟19,803.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
JEREMY O'ROURKE said:
I am a Pentecostal and I have been around this for a while. When there are tongues spoken and an interprpretation given this is called tongues and interpretation. God will many times give a pastor or someone in the Church the interpretation of what was spoken. There are times where an interpretation needs to be given so that the gift of the Holy Spirit can minister to someone perhaps that may need a touch from God. You can read about the gifts of the Holy Ghost in 1Corinthians 12. I do not want to debate this but there are some who believe that the gifts of the Holy Ghost were only for the Bible days and are no longer available for today. Hebrews 13-9 says Jesus is the same yesterday, today, and forever. He does not change. Tongues and interpretation are a bit different than a prayer language and just worshipping God by prayin in the spirit wich is tongues. Tongues according to scripture are the evidence of the Holy Ghost. There are Christians who have never recieved this gift, but they are still Christians if they have recieved Christ.
Ok.. when I post a reply to a thread or when I start my own thread this is what I want it to look like.. You said it very well, and exactly what I was trying to get out..
Thank you for making it more clear to me, and maybe to others as well. Very well put :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.