Would you think it possible that Russia had attacked Kiev and killed Biden while he was there?

Would you think it possible that Russia had attacked Kiev and killed Biden while he was there?

• yes

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • no

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • don't know

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟329,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

And if so, what would happen then?

They wouldn't. It would be the same as the US killing Putin. It simply isn't done.

Upvote 0

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
Baden-Baden in the Black Forest, Germany
✟98,306.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What we know:

Biden makes surprise visit to Ukraine for first time since full-scale war began

President Joe Biden slipped into Kyiv on Monday for the first time since Russia launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine almost a year ago, demonstrating in dramatic personal fashion his commitment to the country and its struggle as the war enters an uncertain new phase.

The highly secretive visit – which took place as air raid sirens could be heard ringing out around Kyiv while Biden walked alongside President Volodymyr Zelensky around the gold-domed St. Michael’s Cathedral – comes at a critical moment in the 12-month conflict, with Russia preparing for an expected spring offensive and Ukraine hoping to soon retake territory.

More:

Upvote 0

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
✟98,306.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
One important detail:

The US informed Moscow to avoid any misunderstanding or misjudgment between the two nuclear-armed powers, according to accounts from Washington.

I think it was wise to inform the Russians - so as to avoid misunderstanding or misjudgement.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟287,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it was wise to inform the Russians - so as to avoid misunderstanding or misjudgement.
I don't think Putin would respond with something like, 'We cannot promise the safety of a president who chooses to enter into the dangers of this current special military operation."

Reactions: Red Gold
Upvote 0

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
✟98,306.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't think Putin would respond with something like, 'We cannot promise the safety of a president who chooses to enter into the dangers of this current special military operation."
And how would he respond?

Upvote 0

MyOwnSockPuppet

Regeneration of myself after computer failure
Feb 22, 2013
Oxford, UK
✟181,329.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

And if so, what would happen then?
It's definitely possible that they'd attack Kyiv.
It's possible that the attack could've killed Biden (although given the Russian standards of accuracy I think it would be reasonably described as "inadvertently" rather than "intentionally")

I'd imagine that the death, by a foreign missile, of a sitting US president would be as near to casus belli as you can get short of trying to cripple an ocean-sized fleet by surprise attack.
Things would have got very very tense very quickly... I don't think anyone in the US would have hit the end-of-the-world button or drop a bucket full of sunshine in Red Square, but I certainly wouldn't want to be in a Russian uniform anywhere west of the Urals (or in general).

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟287,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And how would he respond?
Aside from probable snarky remark he would probably not have the guts to attempt a direct strike. I think that is why the U.S. let him know. But then, the guy is off his rocker. Who could know?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟310,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I do not ask whether this has really happened.
Only if you think the Russian army capable to do such a thing.

No I don't.

1. The "precision" munitions from Russia aren't that precise. If they had aimed a missile at the square outside the cathedral and asked Biden to wait there the still might not hit him. One of the first waves of the current series of civilian target attacks managed to hit a children's playground, a fairly ordinary urban intersection, and a glass pedestrian bridge in a park (all in Kyiv, and all since repaired). Do you think those were the actual targets? (I don't.)

2. Biden would have been immediately moved if a missile was in bound. Part of that would have almost certainly taken him underground probably into a space where there are tunnels that permit movement. (To prevent a Russian spotter from providing target coordinates.)

3. It's likely that there are government bunkers that could sustain a direct hit from anything Russia would send with out harm to anyone inside.

4. Ukrainian air defense is pretty good. They've been taking out about 70-80% of incoming missiles.

5. I suspect that there may have been some additional, portable AD traveling on the train as a last defense (or to protect during transit). The Ukrainian rail company has done a lot of these diplomatic moves in the last year.

And that's without the deconfliction. The Russians are launching those types of attacks every 7-10 days. There was one about a week ago, and they are likely to attack tomorrow for the anniversary of the war.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums