Speak softly and carry a BIG STICK
Oct 23, 2004
In the Milky Way Galaxy
✟51,839.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I go to the PK Retreat every year I can. Great fun, great services. It's really funny though, because (being pks) everyone can tell when the speaker is about to pray, so if you watch it looks like everyone just had their strings cut. Every single head drops in synch!

Upvote 0

Ivy

Pray for President Barack Obama
Oct 26, 2005
NY State
✟17,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm not sure that I'd go. Growing up our denom did offer PK retreats and I went to those- I like the opportunity to get together with other Pkers and fellowship with them. What I didn't like is that the retreats seemed aimed at those who struggle with their position. I agree that those who struggle with being a pk definitely need support and encouragement, but it always made me feel left out because I couldn't relate to those struggles. I also feel uncomfortable in any situation that addresses pk's going into the ministry- growing up I have always felt that others expected me to go into the ministry simply because I was a pk.....I have never felt a calling to the pulpit. I currently work with the youth and children at church and have always enjoyed that but in no way am I called to the pulpit. Once again I feel left out and even unspiritual in those circumstances. But a retreat or conference that offers fellowship and general encouragement to pk's I think is a great idea. It would probably work best where there was a general assembly/worship times and then different workshops could be offered- workshops covering everything from those who struggle with being a pk, those who might feel called into the ministry, maybe something for those trying to live a pure lifestyle in an unpure society, etc. But something that kinda covers the board....does that make sense?
That way those attending could choose which workshop they wanted to go to and then everyone should be able to benefit from the experience.

There's a good balanced viewpoint--I agree. People have had such a wide variety of experiences.

Upvote 0

RajunCajun86

Apr 26, 2006
Thibodaux, Louisiana
✟18,690.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
thanks for your continued input, i think this is a much needed ministry and it's just good for us to get together with people who know what it is like to be a pk, any further input concerning what the conferences would "look" like would be great i'd love to put this together and see this take place

also for those who have been to something for pk's post links or names of what you went to, i am unfamiliar with anything similar to our ideas, thanks

Upvote 0

zay

praise Him for your testimony!
Sep 12, 2004
NC
✟13,407.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure that I'd go. Growing up our denom did offer PK retreats and I went to those- I like the opportunity to get together with other Pkers and fellowship with them. What I didn't like is that the retreats seemed aimed at those who struggle with their position. I agree that those who struggle with being a pk definitely need support and encouragement, but it always made me feel left out because I couldn't relate to those struggles. I also feel uncomfortable in any situation that addresses pk's going into the ministry- growing up I have always felt that others expected me to go into the ministry simply because I was a pk.....I have never felt a calling to the pulpit. I currently work with the youth and children at church and have always enjoyed that but in no way am I called to the pulpit. Once again I feel left out and even unspiritual in those circumstances. But a retreat or conference that offers fellowship and general encouragement to pk's I think is a great idea. It would probably work best where there was a general assembly/worship times and then different workshops could be offered- workshops covering everything from those who struggle with being a pk, those who might feel called into the ministry, maybe something for those trying to live a pure lifestyle in an unpure society, etc. But something that kinda covers the board....does that make sense?
That way those attending could choose which workshop they wanted to go to and then everyone should be able to benefit from the experience.
I can relate to what Eagle_Wings was saying. Growing up, it was a constant thing I went through with expectations of following my dad and brother's footsteps of being called to the pulpit. And it was tough since it was such a mixed bag. On one hand, I looked at the expectations and said, 'wow, they really think so!,' and on the other, 'but I don't really feel that in my heart.' What's wrong here? What's wrong with me?', lol. On the outside, I'd always say, well we'll see what the Lord has for me. But on the inside, that conflict stayed with me.

That's something that really bogged at me for years growing up. That conflict of going back and forth. It almost made me not want to go to church, since I took it as a burden of wanting to meet other's expectations, but also listening to what my heart was saying.

But to go back to topic, sorry, I think a conference would be awesome. It'd be a great way to meet people that you can relate to, not just the expectations and potential pressures, but the good things as well. It could really be an empowering experience.

Some things I'd look into potentially adding are speaking on gifts, ministry in general, some workshops that delve into into the different areas of the church, group talks, maybe bring in some pks to speak and mentor. Maybe do some prayer services, where everyone can come in and pray together. And of course, do some leisure stuff. Throw a concert, allow them to 'put their hair down' so to speak, maybe play some games, different things that will appeal to different interests. So that when they leave, they're empowered, reinvigorated, and ready to go back to their ministry, ready to work. I would enjoy that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

UniqueByGrace

Feb 17, 2007
England
✟15,144.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
i would go to a PK conference as soon as my Spirit is at peace with it. the bible says behold how good and pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together. Pastors children could come together and count there blessings and fellowship with one another and also encourage each other aswell, as at times it can be hard, (but God is our strength).
Also it's important for all to realise that being a Pastors child is the work of God so were not better than others, we are not perfect, but we can have a positive great impact if we pull together humbly. in this time a united front with the help of the Holy Spirit is important. (i'm not in anyway saying it's only Pastors children who need to be united but the whole Body of Christ, the church.)

Upvote 0