Veteran
Jan 18, 2002
Snohomish, WA
✟8,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Over the last few months I've really been thinking a lot about worship, what it is and why we do it, and I've realized that music just doesn't cut it. I am a worship leader in my youth group, and I care a lot about worship, both personal worship and leading others into worship, but the problem is, I don't think that we really have a good idea of what worship is. In my youth group, we come in every Wednesday, have announcements, maybe a skit that goes along with the message, and than we go into "worship", where I usually go up and play guitar while others behind me lead everyone in a few songs. Sometimes you can really feel the spirit move, and it's really awesome, but it's not worship. We've become so accustomed to that being worship, this little time we set aside every wednesday to sing songs, and maybe feel God's presence. But I've realized that worship is so much more. First off, it doesn't cost us anything. In worship, in order for it to be truly worship, we must give up something, something that is valuable. This has been the hardest for me to understand, when we have worship on Wednesday nights, I don't know what I'm giving up. My time? Is there anything more that God wants me to give up. Another thing I realized is that worship has become to much of the feeling. Me and my friend got into a discussion about this, and it made me realize a few things. He was going through a time where he was struggling with drugs, and he mentioned the fact that his high that he got during worship was the greatest high ever, but he didn't always get it, so when he didn't get it, he would go into a depression and look for a less satisfying high. It was this that made me realize that we had made worship too much about the feelings, and when the feelings faded, we were left worse off than before. We need to make our worship not about the feelings, but about the truth of who God is and what He's done. If we do this, our faith will be built on a strong foundation. Thirdly I realized that our youth group needed something different. Last week we did what was called Quaker worship. It is worship where there is no music, but where everyone is silent unless we feel God is calling us to do something, than we speak up and tell the whole congregation. It was way different, and at first I thought it was going to be extremely boring, but it wasn't. It was real and new and different, and I want to experience worship in different ways. Is there anyone here who is experiencing this, or anyone with new ideas on how to worship?

Reactions: keyz

drumbum

Oct 14, 2004
San Diego
✟7,943.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
funny you mention that. i play drums for the adult church and today, our pastor ended the service with a song. but, instead of the musicians playing like we usually do, he told the congregation that he wanted us to just sing and worship God without music. he said that he didn't want us to corelate music with worship because worship is so much more. it was interesting to see how the congregation reacted to the song without music. in our singles/college group, we're currently discussing what intimacy with God is and how this relates to us worshipping Him. God looks at the HEART. like the verse Jesus quoted to the pharisees from Isaiah, "you honor me with your lips, but your HEARTS are far from me..." it's a heart thing. God desires our heart, not our empty words.

Upvote 0

swingnscream

more music - dance our troubles away
Jan 25, 2004
I roll with the foxes and hunt with the hounds
✟11,702.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
The church I'm in has just started a monthly [trial period] Saturday night alterantive worship time. I'm the one who gets the ideas and starts place things together, then I have a few other ppl who help me put it all together ...with a lot help from God. I basically begged that it'd be called "alternative worship" not cuz of the music, but becuz I want it be a time that really gets these ppl outside of their usual mindset of worship. We try to emphasize how both giving offering and prayer are also pieces of worship, though most ppl don't think of them in that way.

I'm looking at possibly doing a worship time without music, which I fear the suggestion of the such wouldn't go over to well... especially when I have to tell the other leaders who help organize things. Yet because this time is extremely experimental for our church, they'd probably be willing to give it a try ...though I'm sure we'd all be nervous about it. My question would be since I'm not exactly going for the "Quaker" style, what else would a use to fill in at least some of the music time, becuz that's usually like a big part of the service? Oh and..this isn't just a youth service, so I'm not sure how flexible everybody would be. But like I said earlier, it is an experminetal for us all so anything could fly, anything could die ..we're very much open to new options.

Upvote 0

KristianJ

What's in a name? Letters...
Feb 9, 2004
Sydney, Australia
✟35,788.00
Faith
Christian
Worship to me is a response to the amazing things that God has done for us in redeeming us through Jesus. And it's not limited to music - you are created for worshp, as I think Romans 12:1 demonstrates:

[bible]Romans 12:1[/bible]

And I think the OP was fantastic in demonstrating a view that I wholly share. If you limit worship to music, then you leave yourself vulnerable to being lost in the moment and focussing on the sometimes seen "do" instead of the "done".

Upvote 0

plmarquette

Veteran
Oct 5, 2004
Auburn , IL.
✟4,379.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
praise is saying thank you for what He has done , faithfulness , His names : Jehovah gira ; psidkenu ; shalom ; rah ah ; -- Psalm 103

worship is loving Him for who He is ; as a father " abba " ; as a confidant ; as a rock of stabilitity ; for his mercy , compassion , and direction

Upvote 0

keyz

Mar 7, 2004
✟1,782.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Worship is soooo extensive. I don't think we'll ever be able to put worship in a box and in a way we can understand because worship goes on so many levels. I pretty much share the same thoughts and ideas as the original poster. I've recently been figuring that out about worship. It isn't about us at all.

My little brother came up to me the other day and made a comment to me kind of like, "Man, it seems like there is no good music or the worship isn't that great anymore at our church." I was kind of taken back because I'm heavily involved in the worship ministry at our church, but the comment, he made, got me thinking. When you think about going to worship we should be taking all that we have to God. A big part of worship is surrendering and letting God take control. I told my brother that when we go to worship we don't go because the music is hot, but because God deservers to be worshipped no matter what. It's kind of funny though because when you forget about the music and just think about God nothing else in the world matters. I've had the maddest time with the Lord when the worst musicians were playing. ^_^

Aside from playing music and singing songs in worship I think another important part of worship is waiting on the Lord, kind of like what the original poster was talking about in prayer. In worship and in leading worship it is easy to have the mentality of "git 'r done" and let's get on. We can be quick to throw some songs together and just get the songs done. Part of worship is letting God lead the worship. What I mean is let God orchestrate and guide while we are ushered into his presence. So many times we feel like we have to say something or we have to do something, but really silence can be great. When all is still, and our minds are thinking of nothing but him, that is when he can speak back to us and minister his heart to us. Part of worshipping is obeying, and we obey God by listening. :)

Worship is when the focus is on God and when he has free reign over our hearts. I dunno. God's showing me so much regarding worship. You can worship him in soooo many ways whether is be through song, music, prayer, actions, or whatever... the list goes on.

Upvote 0

messenjah

Veteran
Jan 18, 2002
Snohomish, WA
✟8,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I totally agree. I lead at my youth group and afterwards I'll ask them how the 'worship' was. And they'll be like "oh I just wasn't really into it today, so I just sorta talked to ..."

It makes me so mad, not because they aren't listening to me or whatever, but because they are not putting any effort into it. They are waiting for the moment to "feel right" instead of just laying it out on the line for God whether they feel like it or not.

Upvote 0

Surprised by joy

The Cuteness
Mar 19, 2004
✟1,437.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Another really good point: Worship, by its very definition, is not about how we "feel". It's about glorifying God. Therefore, it doesn't matter what we get out of it; but rather, how much we lay ourselves and our wishes down and surrender ourselves to God and praise Him.

Upvote 0
F

fiveinjuly

Worship is a way of life, but I definately think that you should go into worship expectiing an experience from the Lord. It mean it dosen't have to be something all powerful and stuff. Let me rephrase this. You should go into worship praising the Lord and loving him. It is your time to bless the lord. The feeling that you get is a result of giving our father praise. What I meant by expecting and experience is that worship is a beautiful thing, and if you allow him to, you can interact with God on many levels, but you have to leave yourself at the door and go in with love for him. I think that I did a poop job at explaining what I mean, but I hope that you guys understand none the less.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Julikenz

God is not a misogynist
May 17, 2004
Sydney.
✟17,969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
keyz said:
Worship is soooo extensive. I don't think we'll ever be able to put worship in a box and in a way we can understand because worship goes on so many levels. I pretty much share the same thoughts and ideas as the original poster. I've recently been figuring that out about worship. It isn't about us at all.

My little brother came up to me the other day and made a comment to me kind of like, "Man, it seems like there is no good music or the worship isn't that great anymore at our church." I was kind of taken back because I'm heavily involved in the worship ministry at our church, but the comment, he made, got me thinking. When you think about going to worship we should be taking all that we have to God. A big part of worship is surrendering and letting God take control. I told my brother that when we go to worship we don't go because the music is hot, but because God deservers to be worshipped no matter what. It's kind of funny though because when you forget about the music and just think about God nothing else in the world matters. I've had the maddest time with the Lord when the worst musicians were playing. ^_^

Aside from playing music and singing songs in worship I think another important part of worship is waiting on the Lord, kind of like what the original poster was talking about in prayer. In worship and in leading worship it is easy to have the mentality of "git 'r done" and let's get on. We can be quick to throw some songs together and just get the songs done. Part of worship is letting God lead the worship. What I mean is let God orchestrate and guide while we are ushered into his presence. So many times we feel like we have to say something or we have to do something, but really silence can be great. When all is still, and our minds are thinking of nothing but him, that is when he can speak back to us and minister his heart to us. Part of worshipping is obeying, and we obey God by listening. :)

Worship is when the focus is on God and when he has free reign over our hearts. I dunno. God's showing me so much regarding worship. You can worship him in soooo many ways whether is be through song, music, prayer, actions, or whatever... the list goes on.

The problem with Keyz's post is that once hes posted i have nothing left to say. Well said Brother :)

Upvote 0

LiberatedChick

Contributor
Jun 28, 2004
UK
✟21,289.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
f.o.o.t.man said:
I've kinda learned that worship is not something you do on Sundays or whenever. It's a lifestyle. You don't wear it to church and then take it off when you leave. Either you're living it or you're just messing around
:amen:

I've been reading a book called The Purpose Driven Life lately and this speaks about worship and how worship isn't a type of music or part of a church service but rather something we should do every day of our lifes. We should worship God in all that we do and do things to the best of our ability because this pleases God and is another form of worship. So I agree that worship is a lifestyle...it's something you should do everyday in all you do because it is essentially showing love and devotion to God. That said worship is for God not for us. It's us showing our love and devotion to Him...whether that be in everyday life, church, music etc doesn't matter. Talking more about the church side of worship...I think in order for someone to get something out of it they need to be in the right frame of mind...they need to be ready and willing to show their love to God. I think that sometimes we can be less inclined to show this because of events in our lives affecting our mood or leaving us pre-occupied. However, when we do wholeheartedly express our love for the Lord then we get something out of worship because we feel good for pleasing God.

Upvote 0

The Julikenz

God is not a misogynist
May 17, 2004
Sydney.
✟17,969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I concur also, that worship is not songs on sunday but instead a lifestyle. Our soul should always be singing the Lord a new song, a joyful noise prasing Him, this is the song of worship, not to be confused with the music in church, nor the action that goes with it :)

Upvote 0