Wondering why?

P

pastorpatricia

Hi, Im an Anglican Priest, I'd never attended a Salvation Army service until this summer. It was a very Christ directed service and I enjoyed it very much. The singing was wonderful and our church could take lessons on worship. I have always wondered why you do not celebrate the Eucharist? Do you baptise infants or adults? I'm not criticizing just wondering?

:preach:

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There's an excellent explanation here:

Salvation Army | Why we do not baptise or hold communion

I'm not SA, so I didn't know their doctrine on communion or baptism, but the explanation does make sense. I do share their Wesleyan theology and I find the SA intriguing. I have an SA church just down the road from my house and I want to visit them one Sunday. I've heard that they can teach Methodists like me a thing or two about worship too.

Upvote 0
J

JoshuaCh1v9

Hi :)

The link that Bryan posted pretty much answers the question..thank you Bryan:)

As a Salvationist, I enjoy taking Communion on occasions when I visit other churches, and there is a growing debate among rank and file Salvationists about the Army bringing this into our worship, although I don't know of any official moves on this. Personally, I would like an approach similar to our Methodist mates, and have communion once a month, on an 'all are welcome' basis. I honestly can't see that happening anytime soon though.

As for Baptism, well again this is seen as an outward symbol of an inward experience and is not viewed as necessary, although Salvationists who wish to be Baptised in other churches are by no means prohibited from doing so.

Upvote 0