united states
✟285,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This year after devastating losses, I'm attending a new church, and being ministered to by the other older women there.

One of them is a surgical nurse who is retired, but still works when she can for 2 surgeons, one of whom is mine.

Imagine my shock and surprise when I found out she signed up to work my surgery without my knowing.

When they wheeled me into surgery, there she was, putting in my IV's, talking to me with kind gentle words and holding my hand and soothing me.

The last thing I remember before going under was her saying "I've got you, I'm, here for you," as she kissed my cheek.

I closed my eyes with the sensation of the wetness of that kiss, and peacefully went to sleep with her still holding my hand.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,520,942.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't know that we do make better care providers, over all. I think often we're encouraged into caring roles, and that caring is often seen as "women's work."

But I've received sterling care from men at times of great need, as well as terrible care from women! I don't think the gift of caring for one another is gendered.

• Agree
Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Its so important to me to have women in roles where my personal space needs to be invaded physically or psychologically. I have been seeing a counselor since I was 12 and I dont think things would have worked out if that person had been male. But she has been sensitive, insightful and creative and intelligent, which made me want to be the same..... Im not there yet [work in progress]

• Winner
Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
IMO it is a cultural thing. Women have been forced into ONLY doing child care (their own or others) while the men did the heavy lifting and were acculturated to NOT be emotional, NOT be caring or nurturing. It was like how my grandad taught my mom how to swim as a grade schooler - picked her up and threw her off the end of a pier into about 20 feet of water. Either you learn to swim or you die. He did not seem to care which.

But in other cultures that is not so. In Jewish culture the men are just as caring and nurturing as the women.

• Agree
Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
I'm what they call a "natural" care giver. It's in my aptitude, personality, and the qualities of my self that I value most. I find that I can care and care and care about everyone else, but if I do not have a kind, gentle, caring and nurturing husband at home, I become depressed, angry, burnt out, and all my natural caring qualities are blown to smithereens. It is not up to other women to nurture me; it is up to my husband. Or my self as is now the case.

That said, I have known some very kind and nurturing men, and I have known some very mean and aggressive women who do not even nurture their own children. I was a little curious why the OP was limited to women.

Upvote 0