Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In a recent article at Catholic Answers titled “Hope for Judas?” Jimmy Akin tells us that though he used to find convincing the traditional view that Judas is damned, it now seems to him that “we don’thave conclusive proof that Judas is in hell, and there is still a ray of hope for him.” But there is a difference between hope and wishful thinking. And with all due respect for Akin, it seems to me that given the evidence, the view that Judas may have been saved crosses the line from the former to the latter.

Scriptural evidence

The reason it has traditionally been held that Judas is in hell is that this seems to be the clear teaching of several scriptural passages, including the words of Christ himself. In Matthew 26:24, Jesus says of Judas: “Woe to that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! It would have been better for that man if he had not been born” (RSV translation). (Mark 14:21 records the same remark.) It is extremely difficult at best to see how this could possibly be true of someone who repented and was saved. It makes perfect sense, though, if Judas was damned. Matthew also tells us that Judas’s very last act was to commit suicide (27:5), which is mortally sinful.

The evidence of John’s gospel seems no less conclusive. Praying to the Father about his disciples, Jesus, once again referring to Judas, says that “none of them is lost but the son of perdition” (17:12). It is, needless to say, extremely hard to see how Judas could be “lost” and of “perdition” and yet be saved.

Then there is the Acts of the Apostles. It reports that Peter, referring to Judas’s death and the need to replace him, said: “For it is written in the book of Psalms, ‘Let his habitation become desolate, and let there be no one to live in it’ and ‘His office let another take’” (1:20). This implies the opposite of a happy fate for Judas, and a later verse confirms this pessimistic judgment. We are told that Matthias was selected “to take the place in this ministry and apostleship from which Judas turned aside, to go to his own place” (1:25). As Haydock’s commentarynotes, the reference appears to be “to his own place of perdition, which he brought himself to” (p. 1435).

Commenting on Christ’s remark in Matthew 26:24, Akin suggests that it may have been intended as a warning rather than a prediction. On this interpretation, Jesus was merely saying that it would be better for his betrayer not to have been born if he does not repent. But this leaves it open that Judas did indeed repent. And in fact, Akin claims, we have evidence that Judas repented in the very next chapter of Matthew’s Gospel, which tells us:

When Judas, his betrayer, saw that he was condemned, he repented and brought back the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and the elders, saying, “I have sinned in betraying innocent blood.”(27: 3-4)

Continued below.

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟768,688.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
According to Saint Veronica Giuliani, she had a vision of Hell. The most painful place was described as the location where Lucifer is shackled, and Judas is his chair.

I've got some questions about it though - if Satan is in so much pain then how can he possibly influrence events on earth?

Daughter, I want you to describe the seven sites, the most painful, that are in Hell, and for whom they exist.

In the first place

The first is the location where Lucifer is shackled, and with him is Judas, who serves as his chair (seat),
and there are all those who were followers of Judas.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟281,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I accept that Judas Iscariot is probably in hell.

If he isn't, however, I can't tell you one way or the other. Such decisions are above my pay grade, and I don't concern myself with them. I try, as much as I can, to focus on where *I* might wind up, not where Judas Iscariot is.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,761,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As Akin’s article made its way around, collecting more commendations than critical commentary, I foolishly abandoned my usual policy of not engaging in social media debates. I remarked that, in my view, the attempt to turn Judas from an example of perdition into an example of the liberality of divine mercy has more to do with the modern preoccupation with deconstruction of tradition through exploitation of extremes and exceptions than a genuine interest in the truth about his fate.

My fear, in other words, is that just as the Devil used Judas to thwart the Savior, Judas is now being similarly used to revise the traditional doctrine of salvation, particularly in its teaching about divine mercy.

Continued below.

• Useful
Reactions: DJWhalen
Upvote 0