Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When people feel they have the right to break the law, force may be required to deal with it.
When the universities talked and deescalated with protesters, no violence.

When the universities call the police to clear the campus, violence.

I think calling the police is a part of the cause of violence, not the result.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟376,482.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

Of COURSE it is. Because American police don't know how to de-escalate. Other posters have asked "what training is missing from American police today"....well, it's either de-escalation training or the idea of using the law as a hammer to solve problems.

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟113,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

The problem here is the unlawful acts by a mob hiding under the cloak of free speech. Law breakers have to face the police, that is just how it is.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟311,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
So the rule of law is not so important here?
Are we talking about "rule by The Law" (police) or "the rule of law"?

There is more to the "rule of law" than enforcing certain regulations.

At least 2 universities (including Indiana U.) changed their "camping policies" for students to prohibit encampments that already existed and sent in the police the next day. As others have noted, many of these protests have ended peacefully when the university and the government officials want it to.

The permissibility of the police initiating violent confrontation under the "rule of law" is slim to none.

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟113,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Of COURSE it is. Because American police don't know how to de-escalate. Other posters have asked "what training is missing from American police today"....well, it's either de-escalation training or the idea of using the law as a hammer to solve problems.
This is not a police problem this is organized chaos funded by liberal big money.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟315,593.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The problem here is the unlawful acts by a mob hiding under the cloak of free speech. Law breakers have to face the police, that is just how it is.
Most of the violence starts after the police show up, or the university leadership puts their foot down and ignores the book for dealing with protests. There is a well-worked plan for de-escalating protests, and some of the universities have thrown that book out the window.

I do not support the violence some of the protesters have done, but in nearly every instance there was police harassment or violence first.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟113,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Are we talking about "rule by The Law" (police) or "the rule of law"?

There is more to the "rule of law" than enforcing certain regulations.

At least 2 universities (including Indiana U.) changed their "camping policies" for students to prohibit encampments that already existed and sent in the police the next day. As others have noted, many of these protests have ended peacefully when the university and the government officials want it to.

The permissibility of the police initiating violent confrontation under the "rule of law" is slim to none.
The protesters do not have the right to threaten or attack Jewish students, impede their movement, prevent them from classrooms. Many protesters are not even students. This is way beyond a lawful protest, this funded chaos.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟113,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Most of the violence starts after the police show up, or the university leadership puts their foot down and ignores the book for dealing with protests. There is a well-worked plan for de-escalating protests, and some of the universities have thrown that book out the window.

I do not support the violence some of the protesters have done, but in nearly every instance there was police harassment or violence first.
I just watched a live report where protesters removed a barricade and advanced towards the police. The police are not the problem here. This unlawful hate filled protest is the problem.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟376,482.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I just watched a live report where protesters removed a barricade and advanced towards the police. The police are not the problem here. This unlawful hate filled protest is the problem.
I like that cite about 3 seconds worth of video of one protests and now you say with complete confidence that the police are not a problem.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟315,593.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think you are looking at it too narrowly. By the time the police are there on campus, it is too late. There is going to be violence.

The colleges and universities could have de-escalated this by listening to the protesters' demands, agreeing to a few, or not and going over why not. Several colleges have done that. Heck, even Evergreen State College manager to get the protesters off their lawn without police violence.

More reading:

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟113,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I like that cite about 3 seconds worth of video of one protests and now you say with complete confidence that the police are not a problem.
Police are not THE problem here illegal hate filled rioting is the problem.

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟113,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think you are looking at it too narrowly. By the time the police are there on campus, it is too late. There is going to be violence.

The colleges and universities could have de-escalated this by listening to the protesters' demands, agreeing to a few, or not and going over why not. Several colleges have done that. Heck, even Evergreen State College manager to get the protesters off their lawn without police violence.

More reading:

Yes campus authorities do have some responsibility here but mostly from inaction and poor decisions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟376,482.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Police are not THE problem here illegal hate filled rioting is the problem.
If police are not the problem here, it's easy to resolve that:

When police engaged, how often has there been violence?

When police do not get involved and other parties communicate directly, has there been violence?

These are two very simple questions to that can clarify the efficacy of police response.

Upvote 0

Postvieww

Believer
Sep 29, 2014
South
✟113,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If police are not the problem here, it's easy to resolve that:

When police engaged, how often has there been violence?

When police do not get involved and other parties communicate directly, has there been violence?

These are two very simple questions to that can clarify the efficacy of police response.
Were the police involved in the takeover of buildings through force and temporarily holding some staff hostage? No! But the police did take back the building. Why all of the support for this hate filled illegal protest?

Upvote 0