Why wasn’t Eve surprised at the talking serpent?

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟750,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
This is a question I had been wondering for a while - when the serpent talked to Eve, why wasn’t she surprised?
I found this article that explains. Shouldn’t Eve Have Been Shocked that a Serpent Spoke?
This article is interesting, but it seems to be based on an assumption. Does someone know of any more evidence to confirm this, or evidence for a different reason entirely? I was wondering if all animals had the ability to communicate before the Fall?
Everything was new to Adam and Eve. They had no previous history to govern their reactions. What they did have was God's express command forbidding eating the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

They were like young children. Nothing seems unusual to them. Kids will happily talk to a ventriloquist's dummy as if it was real.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟808,501.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world." I John 2:16

Eve didn't stick with what God had said (as mentioned) and did all 3 -
"And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat." Gen 3:6

The enemy continues to asks "Yea, hath God said..."

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
This is a question I had been wondering for a while - when the serpent talked to Eve, why wasn’t she surprised?
I found this article that explains. Shouldn’t Eve Have Been Shocked that a Serpent Spoke?
This article is interesting, but it seems to be based on an assumption. Does someone know of any more evidence to confirm this, or evidence for a different reason entirely? I was wondering if all animals had the ability to communicate before the Fall?
The explanation is so obvious it begs the question, how is it many people today do not know this?

The ancient world is literally plastered with images of gods in the shape of animals. Basically they understood this story wasn't about a snake that can talk and was really about another heavenly being.

Upvote 0

jamiec

Aug 2, 2020
Scotland
✟44,269.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Because in myths of a certain kind, beasts and men converse with each other.

Equids like Balaam's she-ass in Numbers, and one of the horses of Achilles, are examples of this literary motif:

And forth from its stand [Achilles] drew his father's spear, heavy and huge and strong, that none other of the Achaeans could wield, but Achilles alone was skilled to wield it, [390] even the Pelian spear of ash that Cheiron had given to his dear father from the peak of Pelion, to be for the slaying of warriors. And Automedon and Alcinous set them busily to yoke the horses, and about them they set the fair breast-straps, and cast bits within their jaws, and drew the reins [395] behind to the jointed car. And Automedon grasped in his hand the bright lash, that fitted it well, and leapt upon the car; and behind him stepped Achilles harnessed for fight, gleaming in his armour like the bright Hyperion.

Then terribly he called aloud to the horses of his father: [400] “Xanthus and Balius, ye far-famed children of Podarge, in some other wise bethink you to bring your charioteer back safe to the host of the Danaans, when we have had our fill of war, and leave ye not him there dead, as ye did Patroclus.” Then from beneath the yoke spake to him the horse Xanthus, of the swift-glancing feet; [405] on a sudden he bowed his head, and all his mane streamed from beneath the yoke-pad beside the yoke, and touched the ground; and the goddess, white-armed Hera, gave him speech:1 “Aye verily, yet for this time will we save thee, mighty Achilles, albeit the day of doom is nigh thee, nor shall we be the cause thereof, [410] but a mighty god and overpowering Fate. For it was not through sloth or slackness of ours that the Trojans availed to strip the harness from the shoulders of Patroclus, but one, far the best of gods, even he that fair-haired Leto bare, slew him amid the foremost fighters and gave glory to Hector. [415] But for us twain, we could run swift as the blast of the West Wind, which, men say, is of all winds the fleetest; nay, it is thine own self that art fated to be slain in fight by a god and a mortal.” When he had thus spoken, the Erinyes checked his voice.

Then, his heart mightily stirred, spake to him swift-footed Achilles: [420] “Xanthus, why dost thou prophesy my death? Thou needest not at all. Well know I even of myself that it is my fate to perish here, far from my father dear, and my mother; howbeit even so will I not cease, until I have driven the Trojans to surfeit of war.” He spake, and with a cry drave amid the foremost his single-hooved horses.
  • from Iliad, Book 19, translated by A. T. Murray
Homer, Iliad, Book 19, line 387

Sometimes animals can speak only a limited number of times - in other stories, there is no hint of any limit.

As a narrative device, the serpent's ability to speak with a human being is a reminder to the hearer or reader that the story told in Gen 2-3 is set in an inaccessible, unrecoverable past, in which the rigid barriers, that in everyday life separate man from the beasts, did not exist; a past in which God walked in the Garden of Eden and was on familiar terms with men.

The conversation, and the whole story, is set in a mythic past, "before" the sort of everyday, historical, human existence that is the human condition now, in a past "once upon a time". And it has nothing to do with animal or human biology or geography.

The story can also, within its context in Genesis, serve as a story of "trans-gression", of "boundary-crossing" - in this example, an animal possesses the more than animal, human, attributes of intelligent speech & thought; and uses them to entice human beings to try to attain more than human, Divine, knowledge. Both the serpent, and the humans, court disaster by aspiring to be more than God made them; so they become less than they were.

There are several "trans-gression" stories in Genesis 2-9, a hint of one in 10.8-12, and the story in 11.1-9. The Flood story in 6.5-8.22 is an ironic reversal by God of the creation, in which the waters "trans-gress" the boundaries God set to them, and become the means of punishing the "transgressions" of "all flesh". The covenant with Noah is another Divine, creative, setting of boundaries of a very different kind.

These passages are not merely Holy Scripture - they are also literary creations of great artistry. ISTM that the literary qualities of much of the Bible deserve far more attention than those who read the Bible for its religious message perhaps give them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟158,062.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

We can only really know what the Bible tells us-which is very little. Anything outside of this is merely other peoples thoughts and opinions on the matter. I would take anything said about it with a 'well that's an interesting possibility' and no more. My guess would be that things were still too new to have developed a normalized view of how things 'should' be. But again that is merely my opinion.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟292,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
While we think of the serpent as a snake, and that is how many pictographs show the creature, it isn't likely that it was. If the serpent had been a snake, then God's punishment upon the creature that it would crawl on its belly the rest of its days, wouldn't really mean much in the way of punishment to a snake...would it?

upload_2022-1-3_22-58-23.png

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟158,062.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What reason is there to think she wasn't surprised?

I assume she was not surprised because of the way she carried on a rather normal conversation with him.
It's also possible that part was not told, that perhaps she had been surprised and that Satan had worked on her over a few days and she had become use to his dialogue.
Makes for interesting pondering but really no more than that.

Upvote 0

Sheila Davis

Nov 18, 2020
Houston
✟65,838.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
This article is interesting, but it seems to be based on an assumption. Does someone know of any more evidence to confirm this, or evidence for a different reason entirely? I was wondering if all animals had the ability to communicate before the Fall?[/QUO

From my point of view:
The angel that is referred to as Satan also is referred to as the serpent, the dragon, Lucifer, and other names.

Bible Gateway passage: Revelation 20:2 - King James Version
It was he that spoke to Eve? Did he use the form of a serpent/snake or is reference to the serpent being more subtle than any beast of the field is referring to his evilness and after being cast down to earth, his existence in the land.

Definitions of beast - is considered a large, dangerous four-footed mammal or someone who is formidable, contemptible, difficult control.

Beast definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary

Definition of BEAST

It was the one we've referred to as the devil talking to Eve - not an actual serpent /snake.

And the curse God put on him to crawl on his belly is referring to him being the lowest of the low and how his head will be crushed by God - meaning all the evil that the devil has created in heaven and was cast down to earth will be destroyed, in the time appointed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟152,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

The serpent was probably an angelic being with literal snake qualities (seraph) and/or an angelic being compared to snakes symbolically. One of the reasons snakes were revered is because they shed their skin which people linked to rejuvenation or immortality. The video gets more in-depth.

Upvote 0