Why the Copts are NOT Monophysites:

erinipassi

Apr 14, 2005
✟15,335.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Hi Domi :),

If you are refering to the name of the Forum "The Voice in the Desert- Oriental Orthodox", that is because "the Coptic Orthodox Church is considered a member of the Oriental Orthodox Family. The Oriental Orthodox Family is made up of six sister churches: Armenian Orthodox, Coptic Orthodox, Syrian Orthodox, Ethiopian Orthodox, Eritrean Orthodox, and Indian Orthodox."
http://www.stgeorgejc.org/aboutus/coptic-ch.htm

This means that all the Oriental Orthodox churches have the same traditional doctrine and theology.

love and blessings
erini

Upvote 0
Y

Yeznik

domi said:
ok...

looks aroud

WHY IS EV?ERYTHING SO CONFUSEING!!!!! lol

Basically if you went to any of our churchs during Liturgy, it would be no different as the church you attend now.

This is one of the most beautiful aspects of our churches. Image going into a church where everyone is from a different race then you, and a different ethinicity and they speak a completely different language then you. But, when the Liturgy is preformed, you feel all these foreign elements disappear as if they never existed. To most people, this type of Church is a fairytale or something from their imagination. But for us it is a special gift from God.

Upvote 0

minasoliman

Veteran
Mar 21, 2005
Visit site
✟9,050.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yeznik said:
Basically if you went to any of our churchs during Liturgy, it would be no different as the church you attend now.

This is one of the most beautiful aspects of our churches. Image going into a church where everyone is from a different race then you, and a different ethinicity and they speak a completely different language then you. But, when the Liturgy is preformed, you feel all these foreign elements disappear as if they never existed. To most people, this type of Church is a fairytale or something from their imagination. But for us it is a special gift from God.

:amen:

Upvote 0

domi

I reject your reality and subsitute my own!
Oct 18, 2004
New York
✟22,029.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
yep..I bet it's awesome..I realy want to go to one soon *prays*
Yeznik said:

Upvote 0

minasoliman

Veteran
Mar 21, 2005
Visit site
✟9,050.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Hello, I'm Roman Catholic and I recently began talking to some Coptic Orthodox friends. I read Fr. Tadros Malaty's Introduction To The Coptic Orthodox Church and was very impressed.

Although we have differences in some beliefs, am I correct that a common Christology was expressed by Pope Shenouda and Pope Paul VI in 1973.

I have read a copy of your liturgy and must comment on its' beauty.

I know that our Churches disagree on things, but not as many as we agree on. The Coptic Christians are always in my prayers for what they have suffered and still suffer for their faith.

Unity does not mean uniformity. May we be united in our love of Christ and be in each others prayers.

Upvote 0

minasoliman

Veteran
Mar 21, 2005
Visit site
✟9,050.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Davidnic said:
Hello, I'm Roman Catholic and I recently began talking to some Coptic Orthodox friends. I read Fr. Tadros Malaty's Introduction To The Coptic Orthodox Church and was very impressed.

Although we have differences in some beliefs, am I correct that a common Christology was expressed by Pope Shenouda and Pope Paul VI in 1973.

I know that our Churches disagree on things, but not as many as we agree on. The Coptic Christians are always in my prayers for what they have suffered and still suffer for their faith.

Unity does not mean uniformity. May we be united in our love of Christ and be in each others prayers.
Yes, indeed:

In accordance with our apostolic traditions transmitted to our Churches and preserved therein, and in conformity with the early three ecumenical councils, we confess one faith in the One Triune God, the divinity of the Only Begotten Son of God, the Second Person of the Holy Trinity, the Word of God, the effulgence of His glory and the express image of His substance, who for us was incarnate, assuming for Himself a real body with a rational soul, and who shared with us our humanity but without sin. We confess that our Lord and God and Savior and King of us all Jesus Christ, is perfect God with respect to His divinity, perfect man with respect to His humanity. In Him His divinity is united with His humanity in a real, perfect union without mingling, without commixtion, without confusion, without alteration, without division, without separation. His divinity did not separate from His humanity for an instant, not for the twinkling of an eye. He who is God eternal and invisible became visible in the flesh, and took upon Himself the form of a servant. In Him are preserved all the properties of the divinity and all the properties of the humanity, together in a real, perfect, indivisible and inseparable union.

http://www.prounione.urbe.it/dia-int/oo-rc_copt/doc/e_oo-rc_copt_1973.html

God bless.

Mina

Upvote 0

copticorthodoxy

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2005
✟25,993.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Davidnic said:

thanks for being so nice

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟71,922.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
i havent read a whole lot on this whole issue, but i fail to see what the difference is between us. it seems to me that we both confess Jesus as fully God and fully man, but the Oriental Churches choose to name this union as the Incarnate Logos...one nature that consists of 2 complete natures. is there something im missing?

Upvote 0

minasoliman

Veteran
Mar 21, 2005
Visit site
✟9,050.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
jckstraw72 said:
i havent read a whole lot on this whole issue, but i fail to see what the difference is between us. it seems to me that we both confess Jesus as fully God and fully man, but the Oriental Churches choose to name this union as the Incarnate Logos...one nature that consists of 2 complete natures. is there something im missing?
Yes, indeed. My main point in this thread is to show that there are no differences and to expose the follies of those who believe that there is.

God bless.

Mina

Upvote 0

copticorthodoxy

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2005
✟25,993.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
i have a question about that issue
Why alot of people insist that the Oriental Orthodox believe in one nature ( The Divinity ) ???!!!!!
is it our mistake that we couldn't express about our faith to them or they don't want to understand !
- Why alot of people is telling us our beliefs as if they know it better than us

Upvote 0

minasoliman

Veteran
Mar 21, 2005
Visit site
✟9,050.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It is usually because they don't want to understand (sometimes you have theologically deficient OO's who mess up). For those EO's who do want to understand and read the writings of St. Dioscorus and St. Severus and other OO brilliant theologians and fathers understand that they are not heretical. For those EO's who do not want to understand, they believe that the seven ecumenical councils and the Fathers that are triumphant in those councils are word-for-word infallible equivalent to the Faith of God. Such heresy equates man with God and shows further how hypocritical they are when they disagree with "Papal Infallibility." The only consistent EO's who are truly EO's are the ones who agree that OO's are Orthodox as well. For those who represent and support the mindless writings of orthodoxinfo.com, they are not truly Orthodox, but ignorant so-called Christians who worship their own fathers.

God bless.

Mina

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟71,922.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
i have been told that by speaking of hte one nature of the Incarnate Logos this means that the earthly Christ was neither true human nor true God, but rather a new creation---a divino-human, but I personally think that is silly. Ya'll simply give the condition of being both human and God a new name.

Upvote 0

copticorthodoxy

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2005
✟25,993.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
jckstraw72 said:
i have been told that by speaking of hte one nature of the Incarnate Logos this means that the earthly Christ was neither true human nor true God, but rather a new creation---a divino-human, but I personally think that is silly. Ya'll simply give the condition of being both human and God a new name.

any church must be honest when talking about others ,they must say the truth and talk about our faith from our view not from their wrong understanding

Upvote 0

minasoliman

Veteran
Mar 21, 2005
Visit site
✟9,050.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If they truly think that, then they're calling St. Cyril a heretic. You may read his writings on http://www.tertullian.org/fathers

You may also notice that in the Council of Ephesus 431, one of the dogmas that St. Cyril professed was "hypostatic union" and he used this phrase interchangeably with "natural union," which is why he believed in "mia physis tou Theo Logos Sesarkomene."

God bless.

Mina

Upvote 0

Monophysite

Oct 27, 2006
✟117.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Mina, you wrote:

First of all, I don't know whether he calls us liers or idiots
who don't know anything about our own fathers.

In all fairness, this is a non-Chalcedonian forum,
we cannot have discussions on the Melkites. If you
wish to have a discussion with me on this topic,
why not use this Usenet newsgroup:

alt.religion.christian.east-orthodox

Its unmoderated and so it is two-sided. Both sides of the
story can be heard. You can access it at Google Groups
and I invite you to start a post and I will reply.

It just so happens that the Non-Chalcedonian groups are HUGE,
especially in Egypt.

To say HUGE is not accurate as we, non-Chalcedonians are
just a minority in Egypt, in fact a persecuted minority.
Many non-Chalcedonians are mass exodus from Egypt and
today vast majority of Egyptian non-Chalcedonians live
in Brooklyn.

The Greek Alexandrian Church holds barely 10 thousand in Egypt,
probably less than "all Nestorian groups combined."

That's perhaps because Pope Thodoros is an ethnic Greek.
Now, if the Alexandrian Orthodox Church appoints an
ethnic Copt, I am certain its membership will grow.

Upvote 0

Monophysite

Oct 27, 2006
✟117.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Okay, maybe someone can explain this to me (sorry if it was answered already).

If Oriental Orthodox are Miaphysites, and not monophysites, then why are our two churches not in communion? Certainly can't be the tattoos? (By the way, why do you get tattoos?)

Jason

The EO is not in communion with the OO because
of these reasons:

1. Lack of trust between EO and OO

2. EO claims that we, Copts tatoo ourselves

3. EO claims since Coptic language is a
dead language, worship in this language
is wrong.

These reasons are not justified at all
since we have the same faith!!

Upvote 0