Dallas
✟871,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'm not sure if this is the proper forum, but it seems the most appropriate to initiate a conversation in jingoism. Now I'm sure we can all agree that patriotism is a good thing. I for one reject "my country right or wrong", but whole heartedly embrace "my country warts and all."

Anyway, I'm a reality TV addict and needed to clrear out some old VCR tapes to record some shows tonight while I'm at work. I'm currently watching a 1998 A&E biography special on professional wrestling's Bret Hart. It chronicles his transition from the WWF to WCW and from "babyface" or good guy to "heal" or bad guy. The way the WWF (now WWE) orchestrated this was by creating tension between "America" and "Canada" by creating tension between Canadian Hart and the American wrestlers he faced.

All jokes aside, Canada is America's closest partner - in trade, in culture, in war in proximity. While tacos and salsa might outsell poutine, there are 10 Dave Foley's for every 1 George Lopez. Integral to transforming Bret from heal to babyface was developing a Canada s***s attitude among WWF fans. Jingoism at it's worst - turning on our closest friend - even closer than Britain, just to make a buck.

The WWF has been playing this sort of heartstring tugging garbage for 20 years with the likes of the Iron Sheik - who gladly left Khomeni's Iran to move to, live in America - and live the American dream, just like 500,000 Iranians, but Canada is special. Not sacrosanct, but beyond this sort of jingoistic garbage.

Bret Hart's drama played out before WWF fans over 6 years ago. And it's chilling how salient the points the biography makers points about jingoism are today.

zoziw

a mari usque ad mare
Jun 28, 2003
✟11,169.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If it is any consolation the "aboot" thing from South Park had a longer impact, I don't even recall hearing anything about the WWF thing and I live in Calgary (the Hart family's base).

Don't worry though, our two countries make so much money off each other that, even in the heat of rhetoric, there will always be some love.

:)

Upvote 0

SallyNow

Blame it on the SOCK GNOMES!
May 14, 2004
Canada
✟26,378.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have always been annoyed by the lack of respectable Canadian characters...rather than caricatures...on American TV. There are a lot of Canadians in North America. And yet I see more Brits, more French, more Kazakstanians on American tv than I see Canadians!

I think to equal it all out, Rick Mercer needs to do what Ali G did. Rick Mercer needs to dust off his old 'Talking to Americans' hat, make some new eps, air 'em in Canada to a good buzz, and then he needs to sell it to NBC to air during primetime instead of Fear Factor. :)

Upvote 0

MadeInOz

Contributor
Jun 7, 2004
Brisbane
✟20,513.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
AU-Labor
What annoys me is the fact that television stations and radio stations all around australia have dubbed their election coverage really stupid names...

Australia Votes!
Australia decides!
Australia Chooses!

(yes I know, a lot of creativity here)

Why not:

Between A Rock and a Hard Place 2004
Devil and the Deep Blue Sea: Australia makes a choice...

or something like that. :D

Upvote 0

MadeInOz

Contributor
Jun 7, 2004
Brisbane
✟20,513.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
AU-Labor
well, there are only two major parties...

and since both are pretty bad... it doesn't really matter...

but if I had to intellectualise it, I would say that John Howard is the big red man... and Mark Latham is the great unknown... but at least he won't poke you with a pitchfork. :D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.