Why does God list "wrath" with "anger" as things to avoid?

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟589,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ephesians 4:31 >

"Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice."

Colossians 3:8 >

"But now you yourselves are to put off all these: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of your mouth."

So, I see that "wrath" and "anger" are listed with each other in two different places in the Bible. But I would think anger and wrath would be the same thing. So, why mention both with each other?

Yes, this is in a Christian Forums place where I understand any member maybe share here. So, for any Christian or non-Christian here >

How do you think wrath could be different than anger?

Reactions: Hazelelponi

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟391,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single

"Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice."

"But now you yourselves are to put off all these: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of your mouth."

So, I see that "wrath" and "anger" are listed with each other in two different places in the Bible. But I would think anger and wrath would be the same thing. So, why mention both with each other?

Yes, this is in a Christian Forums place where I understand any member maybe share here. So, for any Christian or non-Christian here >

Anger is stewing about something. Wrath is acting out of anger.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟709,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Merriam & Webster says

anger
transitive verb
to make angry: he was angered by the decision
intransitive verb
to become angry

wrath
1. strong vengeful anger or indignation
2. retributory punishment for an offense or a crime : divine chastisement

I'm using English because of the nuance involved that separates the two.

Anger is just being mad at something or someone. But wrath has an air of desiring vengeance that isn't present in mere anger.

Since vengeance belongs to the Lord alone (Vengeance is mine saith the Lord) wrath displays a sin more similar to putting oneself in God's shoes, overcome by a desire to pour out a vengeance that belongs to God alone. Being angry doesn't quite rise to that level..

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟589,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know but here are the two words in their original Greek,
I looked these up.

The 3709 is something like > reaching, desiring, violent passion

The 2372 is something like > breathing hard, with smoking of a sacrifice

I can see that the smoking sacrifice anger could be more like wrath . . . so mad you are burning up with rage, maybe sacrificed to your displeasure.

And anger is more like being mad in a victim sort of a way . . . in connection with what I say above about 3709 > mad because of passion for something you want and not getting it; so there is desiring and passion included. But you are reaching - - wishing, not getting . . . maybe :)

This is how I word-puzzle the Strong's Concordance Greek dictionary definitions.

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

"Wrath" is seeking vengeance.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟329,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

It's translated from Greek words having closely related meanings. See that it also says malice. All of them are similar. But they all generally mean anger. Notice that Jesus says:

Mat 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Those are differing levels of anger, and symbolized by the severity of the insults. First is anger, then an insult, then an even harsher insult. It is at the harshest level of insult that one approaches murder. The Didache says similar:

Be not prone to anger, for anger leads the way to murder; neither jealous, nor quarrelsome, nor of hot temper; for out of all these murders are engendered.

You see anger and then also of hot temper. Those can lead to murder. So to avoid the temptation of it put aside all anger and learn to be calm mannered.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟730,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

wrath involves action

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Joy

John 3:16
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
May 21, 2004
West Midlands
✟1,408,685.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith