Why do Progressives have such contradictory views on marriage?

Daniel Peres

Sep 24, 2022
Miami
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
I feel like I'm the only one that notices this, so maybe I crazy. For over a hundred years progressives have been trying to convince women that marriage is a bad thing. So, why do these same progressives have an obsession with homosexual marriage? Could this be an example of Orwellian/1984 "Double Think?"

Reactions: BobRyan

Daniel Peres

Sep 24, 2022
Miami
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
What is your evidence that Progressives are trying to convince women that marriage is a bad thing?
I’m a little shocked with your question. After all, it is a matter of common knowledge. I guess you can start by going to Wikipedia and looking up “Criticism of marriage.” But you can find info all over the place going back to at least the 19th century.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟974,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Apparently, it is not as much common knowledge as you suppose, eh? I for one, have never heard progressives railing on about marriage being a bad thing. In fact, most progressives I know are married. I can't think of an instance when I've heard anyone touting marriage is a bad thing. It's just not something I am hearing -- unless you count the marriage failure rate in the U.S. I reckon that is a pretty bad thing.

Upvote 0

Daniel Peres

Sep 24, 2022
Miami
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Apparently, it is not as much common knowledge as you suppose, eh? I for one, have never heard progressives railing on about marriage being a bad thing. In fact, most progressives I know are married. I can't think of an instance when I've heard anyone touting marriage is a bad thing. It's just not something I am hearing -- unless you count the marriage failure rate in the U.S. I reckon that is a pretty bad thing.
Well it’s common knowledge in my generation, and before. Progressives used to say that a married woman was like a bird in a cage. G.K. Chesterton responded, “No, a married woman is like a bird on a nest.”

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟941,733.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I feel like I'm the only one that notices this, so maybe I crazy. For over a hundred years progressives have been trying to convince women that marriage is a bad thing. So, why do these same progressives have an obsession with homosexual marriage? Could this be an example of Orwellian/1984 "Double Think?"
I don't know about that. If seems like my kids are attending someone's wedding almost every month ! Blessings.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Daniel Peres

Sep 24, 2022
Miami
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Maybe I should rephrase and specify a significant faction. After all, progressives do have many contradicting factions. For example, there are the ones with leather fetishes and the ones that would like to outlaw all animal killings.

Regardless, the progressives I am talking about do exist. Just go to that Wikipedia entry I mentioned, “Criticism of marriage” and you will see I am not making this up.

Upvote 0

Margaret3110

Feb 27, 2020
NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Maybe I should rephrase and specify a significant faction. After all, progressives do have many contradicting factions. For example, there are the ones with leather fetishes and the ones that would like to outlaw all animal killings.

Regardless, the progressives I am talking about do exist. Just go to that Wikipedia entry I mentioned, “Criticism of marriage” and you will see I am not making this up.
Do you personally know progressives who oppose marriage? Or are you basing this on wikipedia?

Upvote 0

Daniel Peres

Sep 24, 2022
Miami
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Do you personally know progressives who oppose marriage? Or are you basing this on wikipedia?
I just mentioned Wikipedia to help you familiarize yourself with the issue. I personally know former progressives that now realize they were duped into destroying their families. I can also name current progressive celebrities like Charlize Theron and January Jones who proudly proclaim they do not need husbands in their family.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Margaret3110

Feb 27, 2020
NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I just mentioned Wikipedia to help you familiarize yourself with the issue. I personally know former progressives that now realize they were duped into destroying their families. I can also name current progressive celebrities like Charlize Theron and January Jones who proudly proclaim they do not need husbands in their family.
FWIW I did look at the wikipedia article and it said some are critical of the push towards gay marriage because they think we should move away from the institution of marriage completely. I suspect that the people who are critical of marriage are probably not the same ones advocating for gay marriage.

Upvote 0

Margaret3110

Feb 27, 2020
NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That’s true. Many homosexuals do think gay marriage is absurd, Rupert Everet. Like I said, progressives do have contradicting factions.
Yes, there is a huge variety of opinion among those on the left. Most of the liberals I personally know are not nearly as radical as what gets media coverage.

Upvote 0

Daniel Peres

Sep 24, 2022
Miami
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Yes, there is a huge variety of opinion among those on the left. Most of the liberals I personally know are not nearly as radical as what gets media coverage.
My perception might be influenced by my education. I have a degree in Political Science where we studied such matters and nearly all of my professors were progressives.

Upvote 0

Margaret3110

Feb 27, 2020
NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My perception might be influenced by my education. I have a degree in Political Science where we studied such matters and nearly all of my professors were progressives.
Yes, I do think university professors tend to have more radical views. That was my husband's experience, too. I went to a private college and it wasn't like that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟974,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think the problem here is one of over-generalization as if criticism of marriage is a common progressive tenant ascribed to by a majority of progressives -- also as if there are no conservative critiques of marriage. I suspect it isn't that cut and dried.

Upvote 0

Daniel Peres

Sep 24, 2022
Miami
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
I think the problem here is one of over-generalization as if criticism of marriage is a common progressive tenant ascribed to by a majority of progressives -- also as if there are no conservative critiques of marriage. I suspect it isn't that cut and dried.
Yes. To quote G.K. Chesterton, “Progressives don’t know know where they are progressing to, and Conservatives don’t know know what they are conserving.”

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟928,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
hmm good point.

1. Introducing confusion over definition of marriage
2. Introducing confusion over definition of gender
3. Introducing confusion over sanctity of life

it all seems to go just "one way" with certain views on the left/progressive groups.

Good thing we have the Bible.. the Word of God ... to clear that up

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟873,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I think you're confusing two different issues. The idea that marriage was oppressive to women had nothing to with marriage, per se, just the fact that women were subjugated to the home with no voice, no vote, no opportunity to pursue anything other than sitting at home raising children and being at the beck and call of some dude. I love that women can now choose if they want to stay at home or not. It's not like we're short on people and need more babies. Have you seen the numbers of the world's current population? We have plenty of people. So, that's one issue; gay marriage is not related to that issue.

Being the only one who notices something doesn't necessarily mean you're crazy, it can simply mean you're wrong.

Upvote 0

Daniel Peres

Sep 24, 2022
Miami
✟26,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
I think you're confusing two different issues. The idea that marriage was oppressive to women had nothing to with marriage, per se, just the fact that women were subjugated to the home with no voice, no vote, no opportunity to pursue anything other than sitting at home raising children and being at the beck and call of some dude. I love that women can now choose if they want to stay at home or not. It's not like we're short on people and need more babies. Have you seen the numbers of the world's current population? We have plenty of people. So, that's one issue; gay marriage is not related to that issue.

Being the only one who notices something doesn't necessarily mean you're crazy, it can simply mean you're wrong.
Actually demographers show that there is a shortage of babies. If it were not for immigration, the United States would have serious problem maintains population. If the population decreases, there will be a significant negative economic impact. We won’t be able to fund Social Security. There will be less demand for real property and therefore property values will go down. Think of how companies will start selling fewer widgets since they will have fewer customers.

I also agree that it’s great for women to have greater opportunities. My wife had both a biology degree as well as a law degree, and I was proud of her. However, before she died she said she would have rather have had a larger family. We only had one child, and she came to regret that. She enjoyed being educated but in the end it had no value. The only thing she valued was being a mother, a wife, a daughter, and a Christian. Maybe all women don’t feel that way, but many do. Frankly, I also feel that way. I remember Barbara Bush saying that no person on their death bed wishes they had worked more hours. They all wish they had spent more time with family and friends. I think she made a good point there. I guess we have to find the right balance.

Upvote 0