Who is Responsible?

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟328,400.00
Faith
Atheist
Not necessarily in just a superficial causal way. I'm getting more at ultimate responsibility. What should be praised or blamed for the various events, good and bad, that happen in our lives?
Natural events happen in the world as a result of natural laws; I see no rational benefit in attributing praise or blame for them, although there may be some emotional comfort in superstitious attribution of praise or blame to imaginary powers or forces.

I'm not a great fan of ideas of attributing moral responsibility for human action, except to the extent that it has demonstrable future social benefits, i.e. it encourages beneficial actions, or deters from harmful actions. Evidence suggests that blame is not particularly effective in this respect, and can be counter-productive; there are more effective ways of modifying behaviour to social benefit, although they may require some sublimation of the desires for revenge and/or retribution. Praise does have the benefit of a feel-good factor for both praiser and praised.

I think individuals should take greater personal responsibility for their actions, acknowledging that there are known risks - predictable and unpredictable, and unknown risks, in life. This might go some way to mitigating the individual's desire to blame. There are usually ways an individual can reduce potential risk, but there is a pragmatic balance, and risk can't be eliminated.

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveB28
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Mostly fate, but there is some possible chance due to quantum indeterminancy.

How does this play out in your relationships? When someone treats you unjustly do you seek justice? Or do you simply chalk it up to fate and accept fate? Do you attempt to resist fate or fight against fate when things aren't turning out in your favor?

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I'd call that chance, rather than fate.

The difference between chance and fate as I'm using the terms is complete randomness versus causal determinism. They are similar in that both are impersonal and neither of them care about your well being. But they are different in that chance can be avoided and is not certain whereas fate cannot be avoided and is certain.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Natural events happen in the world as a result of natural laws; I see no rational benefit in attributing praise or blame for them, although there may be some emotional comfort in superstitious attribution of praise or blame to imaginary powers or forces.

Please define "natural event".

I'm not a great fan of ideas of attributing moral responsibility for human action, except to the extent that it has demonstrable future social benefits, i.e. it encourages beneficial actions, or deters from harmful actions. Evidence suggests that blame is not particularly effective in this respect, and can be counter-productive; there are more effective ways of modifying behaviour to social benefit, although they may require some sublimation of the desires for revenge and/or retribution. Praise does have the benefit of a feel-good factor for both praiser and praised.

So justice is not a concern of yours?

If some neighbor breaks a window in your house are you concerned about establishing blame so that you don't have to pay for it? Or do you just eat the cost?

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟328,400.00
Faith
Atheist
Please define "natural event".
Some event where the influence of man is not apparent or significant.
So justice is not a concern of yours?
I didn't mention justice, but I do think it's important. We probably differ about what is just in particular circumstances.
If some neighbor breaks a window in your house are you concerned about establishing blame so that you don't have to pay for it? Or do you just eat the cost?
Knowing the inherent risks of owning a house, I have taken out house insurance. But I would want to know who was responsible and why so I could take further appropriate action if necessary. I don't think blame (except in the purely legal sense) is a particularly positive or beneficial concept.

Upvote 0

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟38,603.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
Not necessarily in just a superficial causal way. I'm getting more at ultimate responsibility. What should be praised or blamed for the various events, good and bad, that happen in our lives?
I cannot even make sense of this question.

Who or what should be praised for me having great health at 50? Or blamed for my coworker getting diabetes in his twenties?

Who do I thank for my numbers coming up in the local lottery? Who do I thank for how I randomly(?) picked the numbers to play?

Reactions: SteveB28
Upvote 0

Chany

Uncertain Absurdist
Nov 29, 2011
In bed
✟15,379.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How does this play out in your relationships? When someone treats you unjustly do you seek justice? Or do you simply chalk it up to fate and accept fate? Do you attempt to resist fate or fight against fate when things aren't turning out in your favor?

Fate includes my actions under determinism. You are asking how I would respond to fate as if I were seperate from it. Life just happens.

Ultimately, people cannot held responsible for their actions, so I should not seek retributive justice. Obviously, no one can live that perfectly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Ultimately, people cannot held responsible for their actions, so I should not seek retributive justice. Obviously, no one can live that perfectly.

So do you think that when we're rear-ended in an auto collision and the other driver is at fault that we should not pursue them and their insurance company for compensation?

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Who or what should be praised for me having great health at 50? Or blamed for my coworker getting diabetes in his twenties?

Exactly. Who or what is responsible for this? Do you have great health because you've made responsible decisions to take care of yourself? Did your coworker get diabetes because of bad habits?

Who do I thank for my numbers coming up in the local lottery? Who do I thank for how I randomly(?) picked the numbers to play?

This would depend on your view of responsibility. You obviously would not thank God. But perhaps you'd thank your lucky stars?

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The difference between chance and fate as I'm using the terms is complete randomness versus causal determinism. They are similar in that both are impersonal and neither of them care about your well being. But they are different in that chance can be avoided and is not certain whereas fate cannot be avoided and is certain.

For me, fate is something controlled by gods, or supernatural power like karma. Events directed with a purpose, with a specific outcome in aimed for.

By chance I meant physical laws (just how things turn out). But chance and determinism are perhaps a clearer way of phrasing it. :)

(If you google the word 'fate' it will include the definition that it is predetermined by a supernatural power).

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The initial setup might not be random, so the outcome is fated to happen. Chance makes it sound like every outcome is like rolling a dice: that's not how it works.

I'd call that determinism.

I understand how chance can sound like that, but I meant determinism. I meant things are as they are just because that's how things turned out. There was no plan.

Rolls of the dice are determined anyway. ;)

Fate tends to mean controlled by a supernatural power.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ScottA

Author: Walking Like Einstein
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It seems to me that there are at least four views for who or what is ultimately responsible for the events that happen in our lives. They are, generally speaking:
  1. Chance
  2. Fate
  3. Human Agency
  4. Divine Agency
Not that any one person holds exclusively to one view of responsibility. Surely there's an admixture within each of us as to who we hold responsible.

Are there any sources of responsibility that I'm missing? Who do you hold ultimately responsible for your life and the events that happen therein?
"That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit." John 3:6

The flesh lives and dies in the world, so if the question pertains to life in the world, then 1, 2, and 3 are at liberty under God.

However, the spirit, is not of humanity, nor of the world...thus, those born [again] of the spirit of God only suffer under the world for a time, but nonetheless rise to glory by God.

Reactions: Chriliman
Upvote 0

Chany

Uncertain Absurdist
Nov 29, 2011
In bed
✟15,379.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So do you think that when we're rear-ended in an auto collision and the other driver is at fault that we should not pursue them and their insurance company for compensation?

I'm not sure, given the necessity of auto-repair. However I think systems of blame and responsibility are ultimately flawed and need to be revised.

Upvote 0

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'd call that determinism.

I understand how chance can sound like that, but I meant determinism. I meant things are as they are just because that's how things turned out. There was no plan.

Rolls of the dice are determined anyway. ;)

Fate tends to mean controlled by a supernatural power.

If there is no plan or purpose then how can we explain the order that we find in the universe that we did not put there ourselves?

Upvote 0

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟38,603.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
Exactly. Who or what is responsible for this? Do you have great health because you've made responsible decisions to take care of yourself?
In part perhaps. I have heard it said that the best way to be healthy is to pick your parents carefully. I do not recall being offered such a choice.
Did your coworker get diabetes because of bad habits?
Not that I am aware of. It is my understanding that the direct cause of diabetes is unclear.
This would depend on your view of responsibility. You obviously would not thank God. But perhaps you'd thank your lucky stars?
I don't think I believe in 'luck'.

In this instance, I cut up a bunch of numbered paper squares, my wife and I alternately pulled them from a plastic bag, and I played the resulting combination on a yearly subscription basis. After a few years, success.

Do I thank the "lucky" plastic bag? My wife for participating in the selection process? The friend that introduced me to the woman I would eventually marry?

Your question still seems bizarre to me.

Upvote 0