when does God view a person as 'married'?

Thunderchild

Sheep in Wolf's clothing
Jan 5, 2002
Adelaide
Visit site
✟3,180.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I would not say that an elder alone should be non-violent. Nor should an elder be alone in exercising self control...but I would expect a person with rank in the church (whatever that rank might be) to meet a higher standard of self control than (say) a new convert.

The ruling on being the husband of but one wife was made with a view to a demonstration of just that example of greater self control, according to what is written.

Upvote 0

papakapp

a waterdrop going over niagra falls
Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
✟9,116.00
Faith
Christian
Alright, my position has changed.

Signing a marriage license is not a sin in itself.

Signing a marriage license is a act of a person who tends to take the path of least resistance. A person who tries to be as worldly as possible while still being a christian. Signing a marriage license is part of a dangerous and slippery slope to mesh with the world and accept worldly practices.

Upvote 0

Thunderchild

Sheep in Wolf's clothing
Jan 5, 2002
Adelaide
Visit site
✟3,180.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Furthermore, the apocryphal texts are not original canon as it seems that you are suggesting...they were added later.

Ummm... Did you read the bit where I stated that Sirach (one of the books of the apocrypha) does not qualify as scripture? (post #14, paragraph 1) - that was made clear by reading Sirach itself.

Upvote 0

Thunderchild

Sheep in Wolf's clothing
Jan 5, 2002
Adelaide
Visit site
✟3,180.00
Faith
Non-Denom
papakapp... I can see where that MIGHT occur.

One could accept the usual forms simply as a matter of "men-pleasing," and in such circumstances I would agree with your position. But I am NOT going to assume that to be the reason without substantial cause.

If a couple choose to avow their intentions to stay together for life publicly, and to have a celebration of that decision, I certainly wouldn't consider branding that decision to be a wrong.

Mark that for some substantial period of time, the wedding party (or certain members of the retinue, I should say) were expected to witness the consummation of a marriage - personally. I find the custom personally repellant, but my concept of aesthetics does not determine the difference between good and evil.

Upvote 0

cougan

Apr 21, 2002
Visit site
✟16,356.00
Faith
Christian
The bible teaches us to obey the law of the land as long as it does'nt go against Gods word. So the law of the land says that you have to have a marriage license then get one. In some places you are consisdered married if you have been living with a person for 6 months. Its called common law marriage and doesnt require a certificate. If you just have a problem with spending the money on it ask someone where you live if there is a way for you to be considered married by the law without haveing to shell out money for a certificate.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by DaveKerwin
don't have sex until you are recognized by the state.
many people use the "we are married in the lord's eyes, so it's ok to have sex" excuse. If thats the case, don't have a wedding cermony. Just my 2 cents.

Oh, you're not allowed to have sex even if you're engaged?

[Brian Fellow] That's CRAZY [/Brian Fellow] :D

Upvote 0

papakapp

a waterdrop going over niagra falls
Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
✟9,116.00
Faith
Christian
I'm engaged and I'm not having sex.

Why is that so wierd?

The way I see it, It is a turn off to think that some guy had my woman before me. Therefore it is my responsibility to not do that to some other guys woman.

As far as even after you are engaged... this may be old school... so what. It would pretty much be like lying to everybody that goes to the wedding to watch you get 'married'

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Originally posted by papakapp

Why is that so wierd?

The way I see it, It is a turn off to think that some guy had my woman before me. Therefore it is my responsibility to not do that to some other guys woman.

As far as even after you are engaged... this may be old school... so what. It would pretty much be like lying to everybody that goes to the wedding to watch you get 'married'

It isn't weird (well maybe it's a little weird) but what sounded weird to me was that you're not allowed. Just interesting that's all.

SNL. You have to see it to understand.

Upvote 0

heydeerman

"Bow Huntin' Fool"
Mar 31, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
✟402.00
God has established officers and governments. This can be found in the book of Romans. To be married legally in these different governments is to be legally maried in Gods eyes. In the Us you must apply for a marriage license. I think this is stupid but I have one. But that is what is legal and what should be done.

Upvote 0