What will you do when the grid goes down?

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟808,804.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Our results with a Magellan hard-sided 35 qt cooler: 1 bag of ice melted in about 24 hrs and the water was cold for about 12 hrs.longer. Very disappointed. Not worth the price. Of course, someone else's experience may be different.

But it's nicely built. Next: Going to try wrapping it with a quilt.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SavedByGrace3
Upvote 0

GTW27

Aug 31, 2007
Western Pa
✟206,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Blessing Christ Jesus to all. I am not a prepper, but I am one of The Lord's least. For at least a year The Lord has led me to prepare for a grid down. A little at a time. Before covid hit, I was led to stock up on supplies. Lately it has been about solar and getting by without electricity and helping affordability in spiking electricity rates. When I say solar, I do not mean a roof covered with solar panels as that is for those that can afford that. What I mean is looking at an electricity need, then finding a solar solution for it. An example I will use is watching tv ,and no we do not need to watch tv. One solar panel 100watts with one small solar generator can power a tv for one night without being connected to a grid. The same is true for a freezer or refridgerator with more panels. A medium size solar generator can run a full size washer with no problem but not a dryer. A 5000btu air conditioner can run off a good solar generator, as well as running a gas fired furnace when receptical plugs are installed in the wiring. When combined with camping solutions for cooking and a generator, or better yet a inverter generator, a grid down scenario would not have as much as an effect on daily living. Grid down can come in many ways. It can come from a storm(And yes they will be as never before) and act of terrorism, and something as simple as a key stroke in today's time. I bring these words not in a spirit of fear, as there is no fear in Christ Jesus, and He is faithful, faithful to provide for all our needs.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟574,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Blessing Christ Jesus to all. I am not a prepper, but I am one of The Lord's least. For at least a year The Lord has led me to prepare for a grid down. A little at a time. Before covid hit, I was led to stock up on supplies. Lately it has been about solar and getting by without electricity and helping affordability in spiking electricity rates. When I say solar, I do not mean a roof covered with solar panels as that is for those that can afford that. What I mean is looking at an electricity need, then finding a solar solution for it. An example I will use is watching tv ,and no we do not need to watch tv. One solar panel 100watts with one small solar generator can power a tv for one night without being connected to a grid. The same is true for a freezer or refridgerator with more panels. A medium size solar generator can run a full size washer with no problem but not a dryer. A 5000btu air conditioner can run off a good solar generator, as well as running a gas fired furnace when receptical plugs are installed in the wiring. When combined with camping solutions for cooking and a generator, or better yet a inverter generator, a grid down scenario would not have as much as an effect on daily living. Grid down can come in many ways. It can come from a storm(And yes they will be as never before) and act of terrorism, and something as simple as a key stroke in today's time. I bring these words not in a spirit of fear, as there is no fear in Christ Jesus, and He is faithful, faithful to provide for all our needs.
Thanks for your contribution. We also have switched to smaller btu air conditioners due to their great energy efficiency. In grid down event, we could at least run one ac, the freezer (which is also energy efficient) and our smaller fridge.
Good stuff.

Reactions: GTW27
Upvote 0