Dec 29, 2013
✟351,239.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Well, I'm Lutheran because of the focus on Grace. As for why I'm ELCA, there are a couple of reasons, which is why some don't like the ELCA. I like the ecumenical focus and wiliness to engage in dialogue with other branches of Christianity. I also like the fact that we use the historical critical method to understand Scripture. This is what leads to a lot of the differences in practices from our more conservative brothers and sisters.

And I'm not sure I would call this an objection, but there is something I don't understand about many of the more conservative bodies. That thing is the practice of closed or close communion. Here's what I don't get. We believe that we are justified by grace through faith. We also believe that the Sacrament is a means of Grace and the actual body of Christ. Yet some of the more conservative bodies deny access to the means of Grace if people can't go down a mental checklist of beliefs. That to me at least seems to be works righteousness, but I have never discussed it with a LCMS or WELS member.

Reactions: fullcircle
Upvote 0
S

Soma Seer

And I'm not sure I would call this an objection, but there is something I don't understand about many of the more conservative bodies. That thing is the practice of closed or close communion. Here's what I don't get. We believe that we are justified by grace through faith. We also believe that the Sacrament is a means of Grace and the actual body of Christ. Yet some of the more conservative bodies deny access to the means of Grace if people can't go down a mental checklist of beliefs. That to me at least seems to be works righteousness, but I have never discussed it with a LCMS or WELS member.

I struggle with the idea of closed Communion, too--especially coming from a (rather relaxed) RC background.

Jesus didn't hold The Last Supper with people who'd passed a mental checklist of beliefs--or not that we're told, anyway. ;) As another CF member reminded me, Peter, James and John were there, despite having fallen asleep in the Garden of Gethsemane--falling short of spiritual perfection. And even Judas, the traitor, was present. And when you look at it that way, the idea of closed Communion seems more man-made than God-ordained, IMO.

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
I am, unusually, both Episcopalian and ELCA. I was confirmed in ELCA, and am a founding member of a church that has both formal affiliations. I haven't been formally received into TEC, but I intend to be, next time the bishop is there and doing that.

I was first drawn to Anglicanism by reading C.S. Lewis, and to Lutheranism by reading Luther. Arminianism and Calvinism don't quite satisfy me, but the Lutheran version of monergism does.

I cannot be LCMS or WELS because I insist on open communion and the ordination of women, and I totally reject YEC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
S

Soma Seer

I am...both Episcopalian and ELCA. I was confirmed in ELCA, and am a founding member of a church that has both formal affiliations.

One curiosity question: do you switch between faith services, or do you primarily stick with one? Also, is it becoming more common for the existence of churches that have two affiliations, such as Episcopalian and ELCA? (I think that's rather cool.)

I cannot be LCMS or WELS because I insist on open communion and the ordination of women, and I totally reject YEC.

Those seem to be good reasons for you to not be LCMS or WELS. :)

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
One curiosity question: do you switch between faith services, or do you primarily stick with one? Also, is it becoming more common for the existence of churches that have two affiliations, such as Episcopalian and ELCA? (I think that's rather cool.)

We only have one main service. We have a committee that puts together our liturgies, loosely based on the BCP, but also free to draw on other Anglican, Lutheran, Benedictine and Franciscan materials. Our music is ancient/future world music, composed in house, which somehow always manages to sound both traditional and very modern.

Sometimes our pastor is Lutheran, other times an Episcopal priest. No problem, since TEC and ELCA are in full communion.

I would guess it will become more common, but so far I don't know of any others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Elsewhere another poster mentioned these points of disagreement with ELCA. I found that interesting, since all of them are things I like about it. Different strokes for different folks, eh?

• Ordination of female clergy and bishops.
  • The solemnization of same sex marriages.
  • The ordination of Clergy in active same sex relationships.
  • Fellowship agreements with other Churches who's doctrine is at odds with even their very liberal interpretations.
  • Open Communion.
  • Pro-choice and even pro abortion positions.

Upvote 0
S

Soma Seer

We have a committee that puts together our liturgies, loosely based on the BCP, but also free to draw on other Anglican, Lutheran, Benedictine and Franciscan materials. Our music is ancient/future world music, composed in house, which somehow always manages to sound both traditional and very modern.

Sometimes our pastor is Lutheran, other times an Episcopal priest. No problem, since TEC and ELCA are in full communion.

I would guess it will become more common, but so far I don't know of any others.

Would you mind telling me in what state this church exists? (I'm guessing it's not mine, but just in case... ;))

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums