Visit site
✟30,488.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I was at Carson Newman College (Baptist) I would often hear some complain about hyper-calvinism, and taking it to the extreme.

What does this mean? I think they meant that they do it so much that they don't emphasize the responsiblity of man to believe, as well as some other things.

Random question,

Was Jonathan Edwards a Calvinist? He was a puritan I think, and puritans were Calvinist right?

He wrote/spoke among many sermons, Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God.

www.jonathanedwards.com

http://www.jonathanedwards.com/sermons/Warnings/sinners.htm

BTW, never in my wildest imagination did I eve think I would take to the idea of electon and totaly depravity, but I did :D

calgal

Mar 25, 2003
Western MI
Visit site
✟17,475.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
theseed said:
When I was at Carson Newman College (Baptist) I would often hear some complain about hyper-calvinism, and taking it to the extreme.

What does this mean? I think they meant that they do it so much that they don't emphasize the responsiblity of man to believe, as well as some other things.
Hyper Calvinists among other things, deny the concept of common grace and may require a "sign of new birth" approved by their elders to become a communicant member.
theseed said:
Random question,

Was Jonathan Edwards a Calvinist? He was a puritan I think, and puritans were Calvinist right?

www.jonathanedwards.com

BTW, never in my wildest imagination did I eve think I would take to the idea of electon and totaly depravity, but I did :D
Edwards was and remains a Calvinist. PM CC Woody: He is doing a study of Edwards and would LOVE to discuss Jonathan Edwards! ;)

Upvote 0

LynneClomina

Jan 31, 2004
Canada
Visit site
✟17,768.00
Faith
Calvinist
calgal said:
Hyper Calvinists among other things, deny the concept of common grace and may require a "sign of new birth" approved by their elders to become a communicant member. ;)
whaaaat?

kin ya say dat in engish, plz???

:scratch: ^_^

i always thought hypercalvinism was a bit of a derogatory term for 5 pointers.....

here's what i found:

http://andstuff.org/HyperCalvinism

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟516,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
theseed said:

Random question,

www.jonathanedwards.com

Good day, The seed

I have had it explained to me in this way and from what I undserstand this is a true story. A missionary was having luch with a hyper- calvinist the missionary told the H_C that he had been called to the feild and was going in a month. The H_C told him not to bother if they where of the elect God himself would save them. The H_C IMO dismisses the means which God uses to forfuill his will for his people.

Yes, I do rember the dissusions with you and Don, that was about the time I started to look into those things my self, you both helped me along the way. For that I am greatful to you both and the Lord for people like you guys.

By the way where is Don? :confused:

For His Glory Alone! :clap:

Bill

Upvote 0

Bulldog

Don't Tread on Me
Jan 19, 2004
22 Acacia Avenue
✟8,212.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Libertarian
HyperCalvinism is NOT five]point Calvinism.

Calvinists teach that God saves the elect, and leavesthe non-elect alone. HyperCalvinists teach that Gid works reprobate into thenon-elect. HyperCalvinists also do not evangelize.

The primitive Baptists are the largest HyperCalvinist group I know of

http://pb.org

Upvote 0

oworm

Veteran
Nov 24, 2003
United States
Visit site
✟12,171.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Gabriel said:
Don got fed up with arguing with children and those who behave like children. Let's all pm him and welcome him to our new home. Don is Reformationist for those of you who are not in the know.
Hmmm i wonder what hasd happened to him, i always enjoyed reading his posts.
Why dont we email him also...........................Infact why dont we just PM and email bomb him till he gets himself in here ;) :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟516,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Knight said:
I can personally identify with Don in his frustration. That's partly why I'm not as active these days as I used to be. That, and I can waste far too much time here.
Good Day, Knight

I had noticed that you were not as active as you have been in the past. I have seen you and Don both get frustrated at times with some on this board. It was a point in time when I may have been frustrated with people like you and Don. I am one to tell you that your "you and Don's" work has not gone in vain here at CF IMHO. It is a blessing to me that God's people can unabashingly proclaim the Grace of God as Effective to one salvation in Christ, for his good pleasure.

Thank you Guys Bunches!! :hug:

For His Glory Alone!:clap:

Bill

Upvote 0

theseed

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Clarksville, TN
Visit site
✟30,488.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
BBAS said:
The H_C IMO dismisses the means which God uses to forfuill his will for his people.

yes, God works through those means

"It is consistent with the free agency of man, and comprehends all the means in connection with the end. "-- Baptist Faith and Message

For that I am greatful to you both and the Lord for people like you guys.

Thank you :)

By the way where is Don? :confused:
I don't know, maybe he's on vacation or something, or just taking a break from CF, as I should do :sorry:

Upvote 0

theseed

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Clarksville, TN
Visit site
✟30,488.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Bulldog said:
HyperCalvinism is NOT five]point Calvinism.

Calvinists teach that God saves the elect, and leavesthe non-elect alone. HyperCalvinists teach that Gid works reprobate into thenon-elect. HyperCalvinists also do not evangelize.

The primitive Baptists are the largest HyperCalvinist group I know of

http://pb.org
Yes, there were 12 point Calvinists at my college :confused:

Upvote 0

Bulldog

Don't Tread on Me
Jan 19, 2004
22 Acacia Avenue
✟8,212.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes, there were 12 point Calvinists at my college

This reminds me of a comic I saw. One guy asks another guy if he is a five-point Calvinist. The gy says, "No, I'm a six-point Calvinist. I believe in burning heretics".

:D ;)

What are the twelve points?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

theseed

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Clarksville, TN
Visit site
✟30,488.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Bulldog said:
This reminds me of a comic I saw. One guy asks another guy if he is a five-point Calvinist. The gy says, "No, I'm a six-point Calvinist. I believe in burning heretics".

:D ;)

What are the twelve points?
No idea! :shrug:

I just got the info from my roommate, who was Baptist, and started favoring the position that we could lose our salvation becasue he was offended by Calvinism :sigh:

It is a hard theology to swallow--that God enables some to come to Him, and not others.

Upvote 0

Knight

Knight of the Cross
Apr 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟4,472.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's quite hard..... at least when we lean on our own understanding.

I really didn't want anything to do with Calvinism until a few years ago. It was not until I started to study the Scripture as it is rather than as I wanted it to be.

Sometimes we have to accept, on faith, some things that we don't completely understand. (There's another hard teaching.)

Upvote 0

calgal

Mar 25, 2003
Western MI
Visit site
✟17,475.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
LynneClomina said:
whaaaat?

kin ya say dat in engish, plz???

:scratch: ^_^

i always thought hypercalvinism was a bit of a derogatory term for 5 pointers.....

here's what i found:

http://andstuff.org/HyperCalvinism
No problem! HC is explained by Bulldog. These folks do believe God ONLY showers His grace on the elect and nobody else. 5 pointers believe there is a "common grace" which is explained here:

http://www.ldolphin.org/common.html

The HC folks NEVER evangelize figuring the Elect will find them. :scratch:

Calgal, a 5 pointer

Upvote 0

theseed

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Clarksville, TN
Visit site
✟30,488.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Calgal said:
The HC folks NEVER evangelize figuring the Elect will find them. :scratch:

Yes, I am currently writing a devotion about evangism that I will post in a few days (at most), and I came acrross the verse in Romans 10.15 where Paul ask how they would hear without a preacher, and how beatiful the feet are of those who share the Gospel.

I tell you the truth, there is much more to be said about nonCalvinist evanglists than there are HC's !

God holds us responsible for our actions, his grace and Sovereignty don't change that.

Upvote 0

calgal

Mar 25, 2003
Western MI
Visit site
✟17,475.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
theseed said:
Yes, I am currently writing a devotion about evangism that I will post in a few days (at most), and I came acrross the verse in Romans 10.15 where Paul ask how they would hear without a preacher, and how beatiful the feet are of those who share the Gospel.

I tell you the truth, there is much more to be said about nonCalvinist evanglists than there are HC's !

God holds us responsible for our actions, his grace and Sovereignty don't change that.
HyperCalvinists are thankfully few in number. OTOH, the PCA and your Founders Churches check http://www.founders.org are especially evangelistic. So are the rest of the Reformed churches. Check their websites for missions info. It is really great seeing how the Lord uses these church bodies to spread the Word.

Upvote 0