Melbourne
✟52,620.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God desires that none should perish, so should we. (2 Pet 3:9)
If the manner in which I judge and the measure I use, will be used against me (Mat 7:2) then I want God's grace to abound to the maximum amount possible, as I know that I need God to be as gracious to me as possible.
Our attitude should be the same as Paul's, wanting if possible ourselves cursed and cut off for the sake of others. (Rom 9:3)

We should live as if the path we have is narrow, but hope that the path for others and ourselves is broad in the grace and mercy of
God.

Reactions: Jipsah
Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟1,004,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I hope that all will be reconciled. It could happen. But I wouldn't rely on it.
Several years ago I was watching a Christmas special on TV. Some American tourists were in Jerusalem trying to enter one of the "Christian" sites. Their way was blocked by an irate Muslim. The lady said "We are just trying to worship our God." The Muslim told the woman, "G** D*** your G** to H***." I don't think that guy is going to make the cut.

Upvote 0

LW97Nils

Jan 30, 2023
Germany's sin city - Munich
✟20,130.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Several years ago I was watching a Christmas special on TV. Some American tourists were in Jerusalem trying to enter one of the "Christian" sites. Their way was blocked by an irate Muslim. The lady said "We are just trying to worship our God." The Muslim told the woman, "G** D*** your G** to H***." I don't think that guy is going to make the cut.
Absolutely not, except if he repents.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟1,004,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Absolutely not, except if he repents.
I guess we could pray that the angry Muslim will have a "Damascus road" experience similar to Paul's. Other than that, I don't hold out much hope.
In the mid '90s I was transferred from the SF bay area to Irvine CA. The church I joined had an Arabic ministry, at one time, which had moved out. They left behind a case of Arabic Bibles and other printed Arabic material. A medical missionary and his wife also a medical missionary visited our church. I mentioned the Bibles and other material. They were overjoyed. They said they could not keep a supply of Bibles on hand the locals would sneak up to the hospital at night and ask for "The Book" which is what the Bible is called in Quran. They had to smuggle the Bibles in to avoid the Muslim religious police. When some of the locals wanted to be baptized which was a capital offense in most Muslim countries, they would construct a temporary baptismal on the roof of the building and post guards. They would sometimes go out in the desert and find a stream or oasis.

Upvote 0

LW97Nils

Jan 30, 2023
✟20,130.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Don't forget that Esau with tears tried to repent, and it was not granted him. His judgement remains to this day.
I think but don't remember that there were others also who tried to repent, and it was not permitted - they remain/remained under judgment - along with , perhaps, those who on judgment day say Lord, Lord, did we not do all these things for you, and He Himself tells them, be gone from ME, I NEVER KNEW YOU ?
As also Jesus Himsels Says "Many will try hard to enter the kingdom of heaven, and will never be able to".
Certainly, they will not be able tho. But not because they tried to repent of their wickedness. Quite the opposite if you read Luke 13. They thought their works could cover their sings

Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Don't forget that Esau with tears tried to repent, and it was not granted him. His judgement remains to this day.
I think but don't remember that there were others also who tried to repent, and it was not permitted - they remain/remained under judgment - along with , perhaps, those who on judgment day say Lord, Lord, did we not do all these things for you, and He Himself tells them, be gone from ME, I NEVER KNEW YOU ?
As also Jesus Himsels Says "Many will try hard to enter the kingdom of heaven, and will never be able to".

First of all, where is that verse in the Bible? I don't remember that particular wording.

Secondly, the Kingdom of Heaven is not the same as the Kingdom of God, which is the eternal Kingdom. The phrase, "Kingdom of Heaven" only appears in Matthew's Gospel, which should be a clue to you that it has some kind of special meaning different from "The Kingdom of God" or it would be used interchangeably throughout the NT.

The Matthean Gospel is for JEWS. From the very first verse, everything in it is Jewish and has a Jewish understanding. There are warnings in Matthew that only apply to the Jews of Jesus' day, for instance, Matthew 23-25, which is the warning of the coming destruction of Jerusalem by the Roman armies of Titus.

The Jews in Jesus' day understood the Temple to be the Kingdom of Heaven. The phrase, "heaven and earth" do not have to do with the physical elements in which we live, but rather, in Jewish understanding, was the Temple and the outer court. "Therefore, the Kingdom of Heaven has something to do with the congregation of God's people here on earth, not after death. The warning is to those who wish to partake in the new covenant Church, which replaced Jerusalem and Israel as the Kingdom of Heaven. The Church is the Kingdom of Heaven on earth now because it is where God reigns and is physically present, just as He was in the Old Covenant Temple.

One other thing: how do YOU know that Esau's judgment remains till this day? You are not God and therefore have no right to pronounce God's judgment on any person.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟1,004,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, I love your Gospel and your God. Be born into the wrong religion, be brainwashed by the adults, or perhaps never even hear of Jesus in your life and SURPRISE! You get the eternal hot lead enema. I'm really glad I discovered that God is love and not at all like you folks portray Him.
It ain't how I portray him kemo sabe, it is how Jesus portrays Him.
EOB Matthew:25:46 When he will answer them, saying: ‘Amen, I tell you: as much as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ 46 These [ones on the left vs. 41] will go away into eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios] punishment, [κόλασις/kolasis] but the righteous into eternal [αἰώνιος/aionios] life.”[EOB, p. 96]
…..Greek has been the language of the Eastern Greek Orthodox church since its inception, 2000 years ago +/-. Note, the native Greek speaking Eastern Orthodox Greek scholars, translators of the EOB, linked below, translated “aionios,” in Matt 25:46, as “eternal,” NOT “age.”
…..I doubt there is anyone better qualified than the team of native Greek speaking scholars, translators of the Eastern Greek Orthodox Bible [EOB], quoted above and below, to know the correct translation of the Greek in the N.T.
Link to EOB online:
…..The Greek word “kolasis” occurs only twice in the N.T., 1st occurrence Matt 25:46, above, and 2nd occurrence 1 John 4:18., below.

EOB 1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear, because fear is connected with punishment.[κόλασις/kolasis] But the one who fears is not yet perfect in love.[EOB, p. 518]
In the EOB the Greek word “kolasis” is translated “punishment” in both Matt 25:46 and 1 John 4:18.
…..Some badly informed folks claim “kolasis” really means “prune” or “correction.”
Sorry, that is impossible, both “prune” and “correction” are verbs. “Kolasis” is a noun. One cannot translate a noun as a verb.
Also according to the EOB Greek scholars “kolasis” means “punishment.”
Note: in 1 John 4:18 there is no correction, the one with “kolasis” is not made perfect. Thus “kolasis” does not/cannot mean “correction.”
The word “correction” occurs one time in the N.T.
2 Timothy 3:16 ἐπανόρθωσις/epanorthosis. It looks nothing like kolasis.
…..It is acknowledged that modern Greek differs from koine Greek but I am confident that the native Greek speaking EOB scholars, supported by 2000 years +/- of uninterrupted Greek scholarship, are more than competent enough to know the correct translation of obsolete Greek words which may have changed in meaning or are no longer in use and to translate them correctly. Much as English speaking scholars today know the meaning of obsolete English words which occur in, e.g. the 1611 KJV and can define them correctly.

Matthew 7:21-23
(21) Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
(22) Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
(23) And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
Neither the Father, Himself, nor Jesus, Himself, ever said that all mankind will be saved, or enter the kingdom of heaven.
As a matter of fact, Jesus said, “Not every one …shall enter into the kingdom of heaven;” Then Jesus said, “Many” [NOT a few,] “will say to me in that day,” [i.e. Judgement day,] “Lord, Lord, have we not … in thy name done many wonderful works?”
Then Jesus will say to those “many” “I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.” When Jesus says “never” He means “never” not someday by and by.
And please before you even think about trying to tell me what these verses "really mean" you should have a few semesters of graduate koine Greek or at least an accredited koine Greek grammar which does not exist on the internet.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You missed the whole point, didn't you? I didn't say a thing about the Greek. You need to think about what kind of God would create mankind to suffer:

It is a logical truism that all secondary causes in creation are reducible to their first cause. This is not a formula of determinism. It merely means that nothing can appear within the “consequents” of God’s creative act that is not, at least as a potential result, implicit in their primordial antecedent. So, even if God allows only for the mere possibility of an ultimately unredeemed natural evil in creation, this means that, in the very act of creation, he accepted this reality—or this real possibility—as an acceptable price for the ends he desired. In acting freely, all the possibilities that the agent knowingly accepts are positively willed as acceptable conditions of the end the agent seeks to achieve. If I freely and knowingly choose a course of action that may involve the death of my child, knowing that that death will then be an ineradicable detail of the pattern of what I bring about, morally I have willed his death within the total calculus of my final intentions, as a cost freely accepted, even if in the end his death never actually comes about. One cannot positively will the whole without positively willing all the necessary parts of the whole (whether those parts exist in only potential or in fully actual states). (David Bentley Hart - God, Creation, and Evil: The Moral Meaning of creatio ex nihilho)

The first theological insight I learned from Gregory of Nyssa—and I suspect the last to which I shall cling when all others fall away—is that the Christian doctrine of creatio ex nihilo is not merely a cosmological or metaphysical claim, but also an eschatological claim about the world’s relation to God, and hence a moral claim about the nature of God in himself. In the end of all things is their beginning, and only from the perspective of the end can one know what they are, why they have been made, and who the God is who has called them forth from nothingness. And in Gregory’s thought, with an integrity found only also in Origen and Maximus, protology and eschatology are a single science, a single revelation disclosed in the God-man. There is no profounder meditation on the meaning of creation than Gregory’s eschatological treatise On the Soul and 1 This piece was originally written for presentation at the Creatio ex Nihilo conference at the University of Notre Dame (July 2015). Radical Orthodoxy 3, No. 1 (September 2015). 3 Resurrection, and no more brilliantly realized eschatological vision than his On the Making of Humanity. For him, clearly, one can say that the cosmos has been truly created only when it reaches its consummation in “the union of all things with the first good,” and that humanity has truly been created only when all human beings, united in the living body of Christ, become at last that “Godlike thing” that is “humankind according to the image.” (David Bentley Hart - God, Creation, and Evil: The Moral Meaning of creatio ex nihilho)

Protology is eschatology. This is what the Fathers taught. Things are made with an end in mind. If there is such a thing as an eternal hell of torment, then this was the will of God from the beginning - and this makes Him not good, but a monster.

But . . . as I said . . . fortunately, this is not our loving, heavenly Father, despite your torturing and twisting of Scripture to make Him otherwise.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟1,004,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You missed the whole point, didn't you? I didn't say a thing about the Greek. You need to think about what kind of God would create mankind to suffer:

It is a logical truism that all secondary causes in creation are reducible to their first cause. This is not a formula of determinism. It merely means that nothing can appear within the “consequents” of God’s creative act that is not, at least as a potential result, implicit in their primordial antecedent. So, even if God allows only for the mere possibility of an ultimately unredeemed natural evil in creation, this means that, in the very act of creation, he accepted this reality—or this real possibility—as an acceptable price for the ends he desired. In acting freely, all the possibilities that the agent knowingly accepts are positively willed as acceptable conditions of the end the agent seeks to achieve. If I freely and knowingly choose a course of action that may involve the death of my child, knowing that that death will then be an ineradicable detail of the pattern of what I bring about, morally I have willed his death within the total calculus of my final intentions, as a cost freely accepted, even if in the end his death never actually comes about. One cannot positively will the whole without positively willing all the necessary parts of the whole (whether those parts exist in only potential or in fully actual states). (David Bentley Hart - God, Creation, and Evil: The Moral Meaning of creatio ex nihilho)

The first theological insight I learned from Gregory of Nyssa—and I suspect the last to which I shall cling when all others fall away—is that the Christian doctrine of creatio ex nihilo is not merely a cosmological or metaphysical claim, but also an eschatological claim about the world’s relation to God, and hence a moral claim about the nature of God in himself. In the end of all things is their beginning, and only from the perspective of the end can one know what they are, why they have been made, and who the God is who has called them forth from nothingness. And in Gregory’s thought, with an integrity found only also in Origen and Maximus, protology and eschatology are a single science, a single revelation disclosed in the God-man. There is no profounder meditation on the meaning of creation than Gregory’s eschatological treatise On the Soul and 1 This piece was originally written for presentation at the Creatio ex Nihilo conference at the University of Notre Dame (July 2015). Radical Orthodoxy 3, No. 1 (September 2015). 3 Resurrection, and no more brilliantly realized eschatological vision than his On the Making of Humanity. For him, clearly, one can say that the cosmos has been truly created only when it reaches its consummation in “the union of all things with the first good,” and that humanity has truly been created only when all human beings, united in the living body of Christ, become at last that “Godlike thing” that is “humankind according to the image.” (David Bentley Hart - God, Creation, and Evil: The Moral Meaning of creatio ex nihilho)

Protology is eschatology. This is what the Fathers taught. Things are made with an end in mind. If there is such a thing as an eternal hell of torment, then this was the will of God from the beginning - and this makes Him not good, but a monster.

But . . . as I said . . . fortunately, this is not our loving, heavenly Father, despite your torturing and twisting of Scripture to make Him otherwise.
Unfortunately the bulk of what you wrote here is nothing but the unsupported opinions of sinful, fallible men. I did not see one vs. of scripture. Try reviewing these scriptures.
Jeremiah 13:11-14, Matthew 7:21-23, Romans 1:24, Romans 1:26, Romans 1:28.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately the bulk of what you wrote here is nothing but the unsupported opinions of sinful, fallible men. I did not see one vs. of scripture. Try reviewing these scriptures.
Jeremiah 13:11-14, Matthew 7:21-23, Romans 1:24, Romans 1:26, Romans 1:28.

You have a terrible habit of reading into the scriptures what you wish to see. Jeremiah simply says that God will destroy them. Doesn't mention eternal hell at all. This could just as easily mean earthly destruction without necessarily implying eternal hell, especially since the Jewish understanding of Sheol was not an eternal fire of torment.

Romans doesn't mention eternal hell at all. Again, you are reading into the text what you wish to see.

As for Matthew 7, I believe I addressed this several posts ago and you blew off my answer. Nonetheless, I will give it to you again. Matthew is the Gospel to the Jews in specific. Therefore, any warning which is in this Gospel is pointing to the destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70, especially in Matthew 23-25, in which Christ gives a long discourse in response to the question of the disciples as to when the Temple will be torn down.

The Kingdom of Heaven is a phrase that only appears in the Jewish Gospel of Matthew. It is not the same as the eternal Kingdom of God. To understand it correctly, you must think like a first century Jew. For the Jew of the first century, the Kingdom of Heaven was national Israel and Heaven itself in this context was the Temple, where the presence of God was in the Holiest of All.

Now . . . since you are fond of throwing around scriptures, I have a few for you:

1Timothy 2:4
Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

John 12:47
And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.

Romans 5:18
Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

1 Corinthians 15:22
For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

Colossians 1:20
And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.

Romans 11:32
For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

2 Corinthians 5:14
For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:

When I was a fine little Fundamentalist Baptist, I was taught that you cannot have contradictions in the Bible. If you saw what you thought was a contradiction, then you had to go back and restudy to resolve the problem. Your eternal, burning hell, which comes from horrible mistranslations of the scriptures from Greek to Latin, as well as not understand to whom Jesus was speaking and what He was speaking of (i.e., the destruction of Jerusalem - which is the place where the worm dieth not and the fire is unquenchable) creates a massive conflict with these verses.

You also fail to recognize the influence of paganism and Roman law thinking (i.e. crime and punishment) as influencing their thoughts about God and how He deals with people. It is the Western variety of Christianity that is consumed with God punishing people. In the East, we see Him as the merciful God who alone loves mankind and seeks to heal us. Thus, the Eucharist was called "the medicine of immortality" by the Early Church. If you check your sources, you will see that a majority of the hell-believers, such as Tertullian, were deeply Latin influenced.

Well, you have a good night!

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,781,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, I love your Gospel and your God. Be born into the wrong religion, be brainwashed by the adults, or perhaps never even hear of Jesus in your life and SURPRISE! You get the eternal hot lead enema. I'm really glad I discovered that God is love and not at all like you folks portray Him.

Upvote 0

TahitiRun

Feb 18, 2023
Atlantic Coast
✟12,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
*Permission to post in full*

In this episode Trent continues his discussion of universalism and contrasts it with the theology of “hopeful universalism” espoused by Hans Ur Von Balthasar and Bishop Robert Barron.

Welcome to The Council of Trent Podcast, a production of Catholic Answers.

Welcome back everyone for our continuing discussion of universalism. You’re listening to The Council of Trent Podcast. I’m your host, Catholic Answers apologist and speaker Trent Horn. If you haven’t already, you might want to go to the previous episode, “What is Universalism,” because it lays kind of the groundwork for what we’ve been talking about so far. But, if you don’t feel like doing that, I’ll oblige you with a quick summary.

We were talking about universalism, a doctrine that was considered to be a heresy, that is a heresy, something that was condemned in 543 by the church because it teaches that we can know with certainty that every single human being or possibly every creature, including the devil himself, will be saved. It goes all the way back to the ecclesial writer origin of the third century, with his defense of what he called “Apocatastasis,” or universal reconciliation, reconstituting or restoration to God. This idea that all things will be all in God, everyone shall be saved. And so many of these Universalists, you see them pop up throughout church history and there’s a few prominent ones today. I talked about David Bentley Hart in the previous episode, he wrote this book, “That All Shall Be Saved.” He’s an Eastern Orthodox Theologian, there is even some Catholic theologians that lean towards this view, even though they really shouldn’t.

Among evangelicals, probably the most famous evangelical to argue about this is Robin Parry, I believe that’s his real name. He wrote under a pen name, George McDonald, for the longest time because he has a controversial view and he chose to write under a pen name. But Robin Parry I believe is his real name and he shows up in a great anthology put out by Zondervan. If you want to learn more about how people disagree about particular doctrines, which is more common you see in the Protestant world than in the Catholic world, I highly recommend Zondervan’s Counterpoint or Multiple Views series. I have a few of them in my office and they’re great for me to see the different views people have on specific issues and be able to see people’s arguments and counter arguments very quickly and efficiently.

So for example, I’m working on a Trent tracks right now called, “Hell Be Damned,” and it’s about arguments against hell. We’ve covered that a little bit here on the podcast and we’ll cover more of it today because Universalism is a response to the doctrine of hell, the idea that people might be separated from God for all eternity and endure eternal conscious torment because of that. So Zondervan has a really great series on all different kinds of issues, on biblical inspiration, interpretation, moral issues, theological issues. And for example, there is… And Catholics get on the game too. There is an anthology, I’m looking around my office to see if I can find it. I know it’s here. It’s on the role of faith and works. And Michael Barber, friend of the apostolic, great guy, great Catholic scripture scholar, is in that anthology on the role of faith and works and he puts forward the Catholic view about how works integrates with faith along with Protestants who defend the traditional sola fide by faith alone view and some Protestants who take the really radical view that your works have nothing to do with your salvation.

There are Protestants who believe that once you’re saved, you could become an atheistic serial killer and you couldn’t lose your salvation. Now, you may not get a bunch of rewards when you get to heaven. Your tickets to redeem at the heavenly gift shop are going to be pretty zero, but you still won’t be in hell and you’ll still have eternal life with God. So that is one that boggles the mind that I’ve actually covered in length in my book, “The Case for Catholicism,” available through Ignatius Press if you want to check that out.

So when people ask me, “Trent, what do you think about once saved, always saved or eternal security?” I say to them, “What do you mean by that? Because there’s two different ways of looking at it.” You could have, like in my debate with James White back in 2017, the view that you can’t lose your salvation but if you, a Christian, become an atheistic serial killer and never repent, that only proves you weren’t saved in the first place, which I think has a bunch of logical holes in it when you really start to think about it, nobody could ever really know that they’re saved. I don’t understand that view and I think that comes out well and my debate with James White. But then the other view is like what Charles Stanley and I think Robert Wilkins is another person who defends this view among Protestants. They say, “Yeah, once you’re saved, can’t ever be undone,” which really doesn’t make sense to me when you look at what the Bible teaches about the possibility of losing salvation.

I bring that up because it’s great to see in this series and one of them is actually on hell. And so this one has annihilationism, well, has a traditional view of hell that many Protestants and Catholics share, eternal separation from God that a person is aware of. Other views, it has the annihilationist view, the view that I discussed with Randal Rauser several months ago, that hell is real, people go there. It’s forever, but only in the sense that the damned are destroyed in hell.

Then the other view would be Universalism, that would be the idea that, well, some people go to hell, but you don’t stay there forever. We talked about that in the previous episode. I love one of the contributors to that anthology, John Stott, who’s an Annihilationist says that Universalism represents the triumph of hope over exegesis. That you really, really want something good to be true that just flies in the face of all the biblical evidence thrown at you, as well as for Catholics the magisterial evidence where the church teaches, it’s very clear, that hell exists and it is eternal and people who die in a state of mortal sin go there. So where do you go from there with Universalism?

Well, there’s this other view and that would be Hopeful Universalism. What is that? Hopeful Universalism espoused by Bishop Barron, though it draws its roots mostly from Hans Urs von Balthasar’s two books he wrote in the late 1980s that were eventually compiled together into one book that’s called, “Dare We Hope That All Men Be Saved.” So what do Bishop Barron and von Balthasar believe about Hopeful Universalism and how do we contrast that with regular Universalism that the church condemns? So I’ll fill you in a bit more about von Balthasar then I’ll let Bishop Barron explain it in his own words from a video he posted several years ago.

So basically von Balthasar was a Swiss Theologian and he had a lot of interaction with Protestant Theologians like Carl Bart, who denied some fundamental aspects of Christian belief. And von Balthasar didn’t go that far, but he tried to find a compromise or a halfway ground, especially in understanding the relationship between salvation and hell and whether universal salvation was possible. He’s held in very high standing among Pope Saint John Paul II and Pope Benedict the 16th. He was elevated to being a Cardinal, but he died two days before receiving his red hat.

Now some people say, I mean, what does that mean he died two days before getting his red hat? Some people say, “Well, that’s so he couldn’t spread his heretical beliefs as a Cardinal.” Well, if there really were heretical beliefs, I have a hard time thinking Pope Saint John Paul II would have elevated him to being a Prince of the Church if that were the case. Rather, Fr. Hugh Barbour, the chaplain here at Catholic Answers, offers a funny commentary on that, that Hans Urs von Balthasar died just a few days before Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre who started the SSPX schism. Not, the schism has been lifted, but the society of Saint Pius the 10th, he illegally consecrated several bishops without the permission of the Pope. And he was planning on doing this and what Fr. Hugh said is that Hans Urs von Balthasar apparently prayed that Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre would die before he would engage in a schismatic act, like ordaining bishops without the Pope’s approval.

And so it could just be a kind of divine irony that God says, “You prayed that Archbishop Lefebvre would go to heaven before he would do this. Mr. von Balthasar, maybe you would like to go to heaven instead.” And so he died a few days before that happened.

So the point of von Balthasar’s position is that hell is a real possibility for people. In fact, I’m going to let Bishop Barron explain Carl Bart’s Universalism and then von Balthasar’s Hopeful Universalism and then I’ll extract more of the differences between the two.

Now come up to the 20th century, the great Protestant Theologian, Carl Bart, one of the most influential of the modern theologians. He stakes out a position, not all that dissimilar from Origins or Rob Bell’s. It’s pretty much a Universalist position that in the cross of Jesus, all people are saved and the church’s job is to announce this good news to the world. Now, one of his colleagues, a fellow Swiss and a friend of his was Hans Urs von Balthasar, the Catholic theologian. Balthasar took in a good deal of the Bartian spirit, I think reacted against this Augustinian and Thomistic rather dark view on hell. Balthasar said this, “We may reasonably hope that all people will be saved.” You see, what he’s doing is he’s pulling back from Bart and Origin and from a complete Apocatastasis position that we know all people will be saved. No, no, we don’t know that. But we may reasonably hope that all people will be saved. Why? Because of the dramatic thing that God did through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus.

So to pull this back, to make sure we understand here what Bishop Barron and von Balthasar are saying, you go back to the words of von Balthasar, he does not say everybody’s definitely going to heaven. In his book, he writes, “We stand completely and utterly under judgment and have no right, nor is it possible for us to peer in advance at the Judge’s cards,” i.e., God’s verdict, which is really something that he does per se, but we do through our own freely chosen actions. Whether we choose to spend eternity with God or not. But here’s the thing, if Universalism were true, all of the Judge’s cards, the verdicts of people’s eternal destinies, it would all be the same basically. At the very least, would either be you’re going to haven now or going to haven later after you get purified in hell. That is not what von Balthasar is saying that everybody’s going.

But what he and Bishop Barron seem to be saying, here’s what von Balthasar, how he puts it, “Love hopes all things. It cannot do otherwise than to hope for the reconciliation of all men in Christ. Such unlimited hope is, from the Christian standpoint, not only permitted but commanded.”

And this is how Bishop Barron puts it, he doesn’t go as far as von Balthasar in many respects, this is how he puts it, or at least that’s the FAQ on his website, “Bishop Barron is convinced we have a reasonable hope that all will be saved, but the first step in assessing and critiquing an argument is to understand the terms as its proponent is using them. It’s important to know how he’s using those two words in this context. First, he means reasonable in the sense that we have good reasons to ground our hope, namely the cross and resurrection of Jesus and his divine mercy. Bishop Barron isn’t making any sort of probabilistic judgment as if to say reasonable means, very likely, or quite probable. Second, we should recognize hope to mean a deep desire and longing tied to love for the salvation of all people, but without knowing all will be saved, thinking all we saved or even expecting all will be saved.”

So there is a sense in which I wholeheartedly agree with von Balthasar and Bishop Barron. There is a sense in which we all should, but the key here to make that agreement is making a distinction between two things, it’s very important for you to take away from the discussion of Hopeful Universalism. There is a difference between hoping that anyone will be saved and hoping that everyone will be saved. So it makes sense, everyone should agree with this. I think even someone who thinks that most people are going to hell. The church has a wide variety of views about how many people end up in hell, that hasn’t been clearly defined. It has been clearly defined that there is a hell, it is eternal, but what percentage of the human family will be there? The church hasn’t explicitly said. There has been a tradition what Bishop Barron first tune his video, is the dark view of Thomas and Augustan, that the majority of human beings will end up in hell.

But here’s the funny thing when you think about that, well, it’s actually not funny hell is not a funny thing. Here’s the interesting thing when you think about that, it could be true. Both of these statements could be true that the majority of human beings are in hell and the majority of human beings are not in hell based on the time you make that statement. Because it could be the case, when Augustan was writing or St. Thomas Aquinas was writing, that the vast majority of human beings rejected God, or the world was still shrouded in pagan darkness and they never came to know God regardless of how God revealed himself, even if it wasn’t through the gospel, but it was through nature and through conscience. It could even be the case today, that maybe up to this point, a large percentage or the majority of human beings are damned.

But we have to remember what if the human race continues for another 1,000 years, or 10,000 years, or 30,000 years? We’d not only populate new planets, we’d populate new dimensions. We can travel to parallel universes within what God has created. Who knows what could happen in 10,000 years? You never know. But it could be the case that by that point, let’s say the gospel, we see a surge in Evangelism and a new Renaissance in the church. It could be the case further down in the future that so many people are saved and go to heaven it actually counterbalances this dark age the church dealt with for its first few thousand years of its existence. So I don’t know, I’m always trying to think of the big picture with these things. So sometimes it’s helpful to move our perspective up and remember us in the present, it’s a very, very, very tiny perspective for us to be in.

Now, what do I think though, of Hopeful Universalism as Bishop Barron espouses it and von Balthasar espouses it? Well, I would say I’m not a big fan of the term reasonable hope because even though it’s defined in the FAQ, on Word on Fire website, that’s not really how most people take the term to me. I know it’s how Bishop Barron does, and that’s fine. But if I say, “I have a reasonable hope that I’m going to pass my class,” usually take that to me and I’ve got at least a 50% shot, even a 30% shot. I’ve got something significant, but that’s not what he’s saying about hell. And that’s not what von Balthasar is saying. Well, I don’t know. von Balthasar is pretty strong. He quotes Edith Stein as saying that it’s infinitely improbable that someone would end up in hell. And Bishop Barron says he’s not going to go that far.

So I think a better term to use is not a reasonable hope all men will be saved, but a rational hope all men will be saved. For example, if I buy a lottery ticket, I don’t have a reasonable hope that I’m going to win the lottery. There is a small, tiny, tiny outside chance I could win. I don’t say I have a reasonable hope I’m going to win, but I have a rational hope I’m going to win because I have a ticket and it’s within the realm of possibility. If I said, if I was at home, “Do you think you’re going to win the lottery?” And I said, “Well, I didn’t buy a ticket, but the winning ticket might magically appear on my coffee stand out of thin air. I’m hoping for that,” that would not be a rational hope. That would be an irrational hope.

So I think, to be more charitable to Bishop Barron’s position, to make it more defensible, you could say, “All right, one could have a rational hope that it’s not irrational to believe that God would make it the case that everyone went to heaven.” I don’t think von Balthasar and Bishop Barron would say that the people who go to hell will be purified and end up in heaven. The von Balthasarian position rather is that no one ever ends up dying in a state of mortal sin and so no one ever ends up in hell. Now, when I hear that to me, I say, “Well that sounds incredibly unlikely,” but once again, it’s just the same as me saying, “I could win the lottery.” Yeah, that’s incredibly unlikely, but given that we desire the salvation of all people and if we love all people, is it okay for us to hope for an incredibly unlikely outcome that is for the good of all human beings?

Continued below.
It's not Carl Bart, that sounds like someone from the Simpson's.

It's Karl Barth. His commentary on Romans and his Church Dogmatics are all well researched and written. You might not agree with Barth, but they do make for excellent studies and reflection. He's at least a notch or two, or even three, above Calvin and Augustine. I think Barth was a universalist. He just wasn't ready to own the title and admit it publicly. He left the salvation of all in God's hands. Where it belongs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟1,004,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You have a terrible habit of reading into the scriptures what you wish to see. Jeremiah simply says that God will destroy them. Doesn't mention eternal hell at all. This could just as easily mean earthly destruction without necessarily implying eternal hell, especially since the Jewish understanding of Sheol was not an eternal fire of torment.

Romans doesn't mention eternal hell at all. Again, you are reading into the text what you wish to see.

As for Matthew 7, I believe I addressed this several posts ago and you blew off my answer. Nonetheless, I will give it to you again. Matthew is the Gospel to the Jews in specific. Therefore, any warning which is in this Gospel is pointing to the destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70, especially in Matthew 23-25, in which Christ gives a long discourse in response to the question of the disciples as to when the Temple will be torn down.

The Kingdom of Heaven is a phrase that only appears in the Jewish Gospel of Matthew. It is not the same as the eternal Kingdom of God. To understand it correctly, you must think like a first century Jew. For the Jew of the first century, the Kingdom of Heaven was national Israel and Heaven itself in this context was the Temple, where the presence of God was in the Holiest of All.

Now . . . since you are fond of throwing around scriptures, I have a few for you:

1Timothy 2:4
Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

John 12:47
And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.

Romans 5:18
Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

1 Corinthians 15:22
For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

Colossians 1:20
And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.

Romans 11:32
For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

2 Corinthians 5:14
For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:

When I was a fine little Fundamentalist Baptist, I was taught that you cannot have contradictions in the Bible. If you saw what you thought was a contradiction, then you had to go back and restudy to resolve the problem. Your eternal, burning hell, which comes from horrible mistranslations of the scriptures from Greek to Latin, as well as not understand to whom Jesus was speaking and what He was speaking of (i.e., the destruction of Jerusalem - which is the place where the worm dieth not and the fire is unquenchable) creates a massive conflict with these verses.

You also fail to recognize the influence of paganism and Roman law thinking (i.e. crime and punishment) as influencing their thoughts about God and how He deals with people. It is the Western variety of Christianity that is consumed with God punishing people. In the East, we see Him as the merciful God who alone loves mankind and seeks to heal us. Thus, the Eucharist was called "the medicine of immortality" by the Early Church. If you check your sources, you will see that a majority of the hell-believers, such as Tertullian, were deeply Latin influenced.

Well, you have a good night!
The same ol', lame ol,' empty, meaningless accusations "paganism,""Roman law," "western" this,"Tertullian."," Latin" that, yada, yada, yada. I have already asked. No answer! Show me something specific in any of my posts, which can be directly attributed to any of those accusations, rather than scripture. You have NOT done so because you can't. Just keep on mud slinging.
….. Some people claim that “αιων/aion//αιωνιος/aionios never mean eternity/eternal,” because a few times they refer to something which is not eternal e.g. “world.”
However, neither word is ever defined/described, by adjectives or descriptive phrases, as meaning a period less than eternal, as in the following NT verses.

John 3:15
(15) That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal [aionion] life.
John 3:16
(16) For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting [aionion] life.
In these two verses Jesus parallels “aionion” with “should not perish,” twice. By definition “aionion life” here means eternal or everlasting life.
John 10:28
(28) I give them eternal [aionios] life, and they shall never [aion] perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand.
In this verse Jesus parallels “aionios” and “aion” with “[not] snatch them out of my hand”, and “never perish.” If “aion/aionios” means “age(s), a finite age,” that is not the opposite of “[not] snatch them out of my hand’/never perish” “Aionios life” by definition here means “eternal life.”
Also "aionios" is an adjective, "age" is a noun. An adjective cannot be translated as a noun.
Show me some of your accusations in these 3 verses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LW97Nils

Jan 30, 2023
✟20,130.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The same ol', lame ol,' empty, meaningless accusations "paganism,""Roman law," "western" this,"Tertullian."," Latin" that, yada, yada, yada. I have already asked. No answer! Show me something specific in any of my posts, which can be directly attributed to any of those accusations, rather than scripture. You have NOT done so because you can't. Just keep on mud slinging.
….. Some people claim that “αιων/aion//αιωνιος/aionios never mean eternity/eternal,” because a few times they refer to something which is not eternal e.g. “world.”
However, neither word is ever defined/described, by adjectives or descriptive phrases, as meaning a period less than eternal, as in the following NT verses.

John 3:15

(15) That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal [aionion] life.

John 3:16

(16) For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting [aionion] life.
In these two verses Jesus parallels “aionion” with “should not perish,” twice. By definition “aionion life” here means eternal or everlasting life.
John 10:28

(28) I give them eternal [aionios] life, and they shall never [aion] perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand.
In this verse Jesus parallels “aionios” and “aion” with “[not] snatch them out of my hand”, and “never perish.” If “aion/aionios” means “age(s), a finite age,” that is not the opposite of “[not] snatch them out of my hand’/never perish” “Aionios life” by definition here means “eternal life.”
Also "aionios" is an adjective, "age" is a noun. An adjective cannot be translated as a noun.
How me some of your accusations in these 3 verses.
Indeed. At most times it means eternal.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Even if you look at Christian tradition, it seems like the universalist doctrine relies heavily on theologians who were considered unorthodox even back then.
Horse feathers! You are telling me that St. Gregory of Nyssa, who was called "The Father of the Fathers" was unorthodox? That the Capadocian Fathers, Gregory the Great, and other saints of the Church were unorthodox?

Upvote 0