Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
1) In the definition you posted:

[*StrongsGreek*]
χάρις cháris, khar'-ece
from 5463;
graciousness (as gratifying), of manner or act (abstract or concrete; literal, figurative or spiritual; especially the divine influence upon the heart, and its reflection in the life; including gratitude):--acceptable, benefit, favour, gift, grace(- ious), joy, liberality, pleasure, thank(-s, -worthy).

2) Also see:
Ac 7:10 - "gave him favor (charis) and wisdom before Pharaoh"

Ac 14:26 - "from there they sailed to Antioch where they had been commended to the favor (charis) of God for the work which they had fulfilled."
The influence of the HS in our lives is favor shown to us by God. The power that changes our lives is the greatest favor that can be given to us.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟283,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The influence of the HS in our lives is favor shown to us by God. The power that changes our lives is the greatest favor that can be given to us.
Indeed it is, but I'm thinking salvation from the wrath of God (Ro 5:9) would be the greatest favor.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟101,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Indeed it is, but I'm thinking salvation from the wrath of God (Ro 5:9) would be the greatest favor.
Why not both? We can have both through power of the HS, and in fact the Bible tells us this explicitly.

Proverbs 17: 13 He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.:

Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟800,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I have no reason ro disbelieve you. What I'm saying is a long ways from the way you are accustomed to think of in this context. You're accustomed to thinking of grace as unmerited favor or forgiveness. The word translated as grace does not mean that at all.

[*StrongsGreek*]
χάρις cháris, khar'-ece
from 5463;
graciousness (as gratifying), of manner or act (abstract or concrete; literal, figurative or spiritual; especially the divine influence upon the heart, and its reflection in the life; including gratitude):--acceptable, benefit, favour, gift, grace(- ious), joy, liberality, pleasure, thank(-s, -worthy).

As God does not argue with Himself the word grace cannot mean what people are accustomed to thinking of it meaning.
smh

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟800,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
And? You obviously disagree.
The problem is not that I disagree, but that we have no common point of departure from agreement. To argue with your reasoning would be worse than debating an Amazonian Indian on the meaning and application of "useful". I wouldn't even know where to begin. Not worth my time. Sorry. I mean you no disrespect.

• Love
Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟101,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The problem is not that I disagree, but that we have no common point of departure from agreement. To argue with your reasoning would be worse than debating an Amazonian Indian on the meaning and application of "useful". I wouldn't even know where to begin. Not worth my time. Sorry. I mean you no disrespect.
I agree. What I'm saying is so different than what you've been taught that you say the fault lies with me even though all I've dine is quote scripture and the meaning if the Greek word translated as grace.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟800,552.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I agree. What I'm saying is so different than what you've been taught that you say the fault lies with me even though all I've dine is quote scripture and the meaning if the Greek word translated as grace.
Lol, no. That's not what I'm talking about. You get a sequence of logic in your mind that presupposes, pursues and ignores all sorts of things that it should not, not to mention sloughing from one meaning to another as a way to get there. My mother-in-law would cook that way. Bad enough that the goulash she wanted to cook was a waste of money, but when she realized she was out of lemon juice, she used salt, because, "they are both sour".

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟101,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Lol, no. That's not what I'm talking about. You get a sequence of logic in your mind that presupposes, pursues and ignores all sorts of things that it should not, not to mention sloughing from one meaning to another as a way to get there. My mother-in-law would cook that way. Bad enough that the goulash she wanted to cook was a waste of money, but when she realized she was out of lemon juice, she used salt, because, "they are both sour".
That's OK. I think the same thing about Calvinist beliefs.

Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟388,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No the issue is the argument that you would post doesn't hold up so you post things like what we are responding too and the following. Which BTW doesn't address the points of the post you are responding too objectively but subjectively.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums