What does it mean to be made in the image of God?

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟917,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

H6754
???
tselem
tseh'-lem
From an unused root meaning to shade; a phantom, that is, (figuratively) illusion, resemblance; hence a representative figure, especially an idol: - image, vain shew.

likeness
H1823
??????
demu^th
dem-ooth'
From H1819; resemblance; concretely model, shape; adverbially like: - fashion, like (-ness, as), manner, similitude.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟802,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Hi Mark,

How wonderful to be made in the image of God. I believe that refers to our having - a will, a mind and emotions. I see that in the Godhead, in each person of the Godhead.

regards, Marilyn.
So, would you say dogs and other animals are made in the image of God? Do they not have that?

What about Angels? does the Bible say they are made in the image of God?

Reactions: ewq1938
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When it says in the Bible that we were made in the image of God, what is it talking about?

It means we reflect the Spirit of God and animals do not.
We are willing to give our lives for the benefit of people who might do us harm.
Like Jesus, we have the capability to forgive our trespassers.
Animals do not. Man was not originally made in the Image of God, but God remade us into His image.
Like clay, we were reformed.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟802,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
It means we reflect the Spirit of God and animals do not.
We are willing to give our lives for the benefit of people who might do us harm.
Like Jesus, we have the capability to forgive our trespassers.
Animals do not. Man was not originally made in the Image of God, but God remade us into His image.
Like clay, we were reformed.
So, are Angels also made in the image of God? They do all of the above, don't they?

Reactions: ewq1938
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟917,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Man was not originally made in the Image of God, but God remade us into His image.

That's not what the bible says. Man was indeed created in the image and likeness of God:

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
Gen 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

God even says it twice for emphasis.

Reactions: IntriKate
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So, are Angels also made in the image of God? They do all of the above, don't they?
I don't think they make any decisions for themselves, don't help other angels, cannot give their lives for others, or forgive others.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's not what the bible says. Man was indeed created in the image and likeness of God:

Gen 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. God even says it twice for emphasis.

The words used are defined as re-making, polishing, forming, changing and other process oriented meanings. Usually long, drawn out processes of change.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟802,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I don't think they make any decisions for themselves, don't help other angels, cannot give their lives for others, or forgive others.
Correct, we are not told one way or the other. It seems they are only able to obey at this point, thought they do want to look into why God should love humans so. Likewise, fallen angels seem only able to rebel at this point. I see no declaration of the ability to repent or (for the faithful angels to fall away as Lucifer did, and a third of the angels with him).

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟802,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
The words used are defined as re-making, polishing, forming, changing and other process oriented meanings. Usually long, drawn out processes of change.
Can this be taken to imply that we can assess God according to us? Is God like us, or are we like him, however poorly it may be so?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Correct, we are not told one way or the other. It seems they are only able to obey at this point, thought they do want to look into why God should love humans so. Likewise, fallen angels seem only able to rebel at this point. I see no declaration of the ability to repent or (for the faithful angels to fall away as Lucifer did, and a third of the angels with him).
Given that they do what God tells them to do, they don't reflect humans.
So by the associative properties of math, they are not in God's image either.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟802,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Hi Mark,

How wonderful to be made in the image of God. I believe that refers to our having - a will, a mind and emotions. I see that in the Godhead, in each person of the Godhead.

regards, Marilyn.
I don't know if you avoided the question or not. Does being made in the image of God imply some degree of true autonomy on our part --true spontaneity, true causeless causation?

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟802,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Given that they do what God tells them to do, they don't reflect humans.
So by the associative properties of math, they are not in God's image either.
On the other hand, we are not as Adam was originally, before he fell, when he was made in the image of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟917,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

What is written is a completed action, not a long drawn out process that only really was finished by Christ so many thousands of years later.

Man was created in the image of God in the 6th day. It was completed then and there and continues through procreation. This has nothing to do with morality or spirituality.

• Informative
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can this be taken to imply that we can assess God according to us? Is God like us, or are we like him, however poorly it may be so?
God is completely Spirit. Then at some point, God breathed the breath of life into us and as a result, we "smell" like Him. We now reflect God. But we are just dirt that has life breathed into us by God. God has no dirt.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What is written is a completed action, not a long drawn out process that only really was finished by Christ so many thousands of years later.

Man was created in the image of God in the 6th day. It was completed then and there and continues through procreation. This has nothing to do with morality or spirituality.

I was going by the definitions of "made" in the greek...and it's all long drawn out processes. It just is.
I can't change what other conclusion you've held. But the creation passages are formed and molded type of stuff. "Re-made" in one usage. Just going by what I read and not what people preach.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟802,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
God is completely Spirit. Then at some point, God breathed the breath of life into us and as a result, we "smell" like Him. We now reflect God. But we are just dirt that has life breathed into us by God. God has no dirt.
Agreed. Nor are we able to do 'new', in the way God only is able to do. We are 'creative', but we don't create.

• Agree
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟802,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I was going by the definitions of "made" in the greek...and it's all long drawn out processes. It just is.
I can't change what other conclusion you've held. But the creation passages are formed and molded type of stuff. "Re-made" in one usage.
But it was not written in Greek. What does the Hebrew say?

Upvote 0