Wayne Township, PA, USA
✟8,652.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I believe God foreknows everything (omniscience) and has foreordained (predestined) things to be as they are. When God created time (his first creation was time … “In the beginning…”) he created the universe and set it on a time continuum but he lives in eternity and is not subject to time. And he gave us freewill. Therefore, he knew (knows) every decision every one of us makes and has heard (hears) every prayer we pray. He has known our choices from the foundation of the world (you might say he predestined our freewill). He is Alpha and Omega … and all points in between. So, we cannot change what he has foreordained and to say that God did not know what he ordained is, well, ludicrous. He knows … but we don’t. He hears our every prayer and he knows how he will respond … but we don’t. He is omniscient ... we are not. So, we pray.

Hope that makes sense. :)

This is largely inferential. If it is true, then it means these inferential conclusions override the numerous more direct statements regarding prayer in Scripture.

Upvote 0

whatfor

Just me
Dec 15, 2006
Adelaide, Australia
✟102,417.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I don't understand what you're saying when you say "So, we pray".
Are you saying that we pray because "we cannot change what He has
foreordained..."?

I think it is more He already knows the outcome, He is outside of time so sees the prayer , our heart and motives for our prayer, and what happens after.
God does not need us but as our father He allows us a part in what He does , and just like you would with your own child , He gets pleasure from seeing us experience and be part of what He is doing.

Upvote 0

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
What do you think of this statement?
The function of prayer is not to influence God, but rather to change the nature of the one who prays. Prayer changes things because prayer changes us.​

i would say this is both true and not true. Here is why

in Hebrew, the word for 'to pray' is inflective and carries the connotation of judging yourself with the focus of bringing yourself into line with the object of your comments.

however in english when we talk about praying we are generally speaking of 'supplications' and 'thanksgiving' that is offering up our thanks and requests from to our maker.

Steve

Upvote 0

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I believe God foreknows everything (omniscience) and has foreordained (predestined) things to be as they are. When God created time (his first creation was time … “In the beginning…”) he created the universe and set it on a time continuum but he lives in eternity and is not subject to time. And he gave us freewill. Therefore, he knew (knows) every decision every one of us makes and has heard (hears) every prayer we pray. He has known our choices from the foundation of the world (you might say he predestined our freewill). He is Alpha and Omega … and all points in between. So, we cannot change what he has foreordained and to say that God did not know what he ordained is, well, ludicrous. He knows … but we don’t. He hears our every prayer and he knows how he will respond … but we don’t. He is omniscient ... we are not. So, we pray.

Hope that makes sense. :)

It makes sense. I agree with what you posted here.

Upvote 0

MJ Bond

Apr 19, 2012
✟18,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree with the original statement. Prayer, or speaking to/having a relationship with Father, changes and grows us as people. However, would you believe that Father is open to mature questioning? Some of His angels don't understand certain things, and they come to Him asking about them. If done in a mature manner, He will not be angry with such action.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Jesus is the only Way
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟720,990.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The function of prayer is not to influence God, but rather to change the nature of the one who prays. Prayer changes things because prayer changes us ~ Søren Kierkegaard

No charge for citing the source for the quote. :)

In the light of several New Testament Prayers, such as

Acts 4:23 And being let go, they went to their own companions and reported all that the chief priests and elders had said to them. 24 So when they heard that, they raised their voice to God with one accord and said: “Lord, You are God, who made heaven and earth and the sea, and all that is in them, 25 who by the mouth of Your servant David have said:

‘Why did the nations rage,
And the people plot vain things?
26 The kings of the earth took their stand,
And the rulers were gathered together
Against the Lord and against His Christ.

27 “For truly against Your holy Servant Jesus, whom You anointed, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles and the people of Israel, were gathered together 28 to do whatever Your hand and Your purpose determined before to be done. 29 Now, Lord, look on their threats, and grant to Your servants that with all boldness they may speak Your word, 30 by stretching out Your hand to heal, and that signs and wonders may be done through the name of Your holy Servant Jesus.”

In this it was evident that they were in fact not trying to influence God, but indeed were asking for direction and an answer to their predicament through boldness and miracles.

I can also see the same thing in Paul's prayers

So yes, on one hand there is some validity to the man's statement, but there are other times where men reasoned with God and God did something He had not originally planned on doing.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟574,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The function of prayer is not to influence God, but rather to change the nature of the one who prays. Prayer changes things because prayer changes us.
I would say that Jesus constantly prayed to the Father, and He (Jesus) did not have to change.

Upvote 0