Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think what attracts many people to pursue certain faiths, like Buddhism or Islam or Judaism for an example, is the appearance of self-made religion, with all of the aesthetic practices and traditions. If you attended a Baptist or Presbyterian Church, you may not be at all impressed. But, there seems to be this sort of beauty men find in the observances of these particular faiths that convinces them that there is something good and divine among them. It may even be the way the clergy expresses their mannerisms, how a certain building is constructed and looks, or even how organized the group is in all things.

It is then no surprise for someone to find a reason why these faiths should be followed, how their teachings are consistent, etc, etc. They want to believe it is true, because they are drawn to it. But, I don't think this is how Christians are suppose to find Christ. He is not to be found in these outward seductions, but in the very truth of his word. Do you think Satan would try to draw a crowd with unattractive means? No. He will use beauty to deceive many people to believe it is good, and point at the rudimentary nature of what truth embodies with slander.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I think what attracts many people to pursue certain faiths, like Buddhism or Islam or Judaism for an example, is the appearance of self-made religion, with all of the aesthetic practices and traditions. If you attended most Christian churches, like a Baptist or Presbyterian Church, you may not be at all impressed. But, there seems to be this sort of beauty men find in the observances of these particular faiths that convinces them that there is something good and divine among them. It may even be the way the clergy expresses their mannerisms, how a certain building is constructed and looks, or even how organized the group is in all things.

It is then no surprise for someone to find a reason why these faiths should be followed, how their teachings are consistent, etc, etc. They want to believe it is true, because they are drawn to it. But, I don't think this is how Christians are suppose to find Christ. He is not to be found in these outward seduction, but in the very truth that comes from heaven. Do you think Satan would try to draw a crowd with unattractive means? No. He will use beauty to deceive many people to believe it is good, and point at the rudimentary nature of what truth embodies with slander.

What are your thoughts?
Once one has found Christ one cannot go back

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟293,055.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think that there are certain Core truths, some of which are present in other religions. For example, these are verses from the Dhammapada, Buddhist teachings.

3 "He abused me, he beat me, he defeated me, he robbed me,"--in those who harbour such thoughts hatred will never cease.

4 "He abused me, he beat me, he defeated me, he robbed me,"--in those who do not harbour such thoughts hatred will cease.

5 For hatred does not cease by hatred at any time: hatred ceases by love, this is an old rule.

I love them, because they are True. I don't feel that Christ would disagree with them. Other teachings in the same document though, he might. And the core of Buddhism (I think) is to empty one's self out, whereas the core of Christianity is really to empty one's self out, and fill one's self with Christ. At the end, it's a big difference. And there were a lot of idols, because there are 'many Buddhas' in Buddhism. Many Buddhists consider Christ to be a Buddha.

Dhammapada (Muller) - Wikisource, the free online library

With their love of Compassion, I wouldn't at all be surprised if there were many 'sheep' among the Buddhists who don't know it.

• Informative
Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟125,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think that there are certain Core truths, some of which are present in other religions.

Well, I think morality is something generally understood by nature and in our conscience, so it wouldn't be too surprising to see some of these groups promote some general notion of it. This is why the moral law convicts sinners, like us, because it is something universally understood and plain to our awareness. I wouldn't call this "core" truth, but instead that all religions admits that good is objective.

The problem, though, is that they don't go any further than that. Due to the corrupt nature from the fall, they have stumbled so far as to grasp some parts of that moral truth. They confound and distort everything else, including the very concept of God to their imaginations.

Whereas Christ taught that the fulfillment of the law is having an undivided love toward God in all things and love toward our neighbor in light of that, these faiths would not even dare to arrive at the nearest port of that truth.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've studied and practiced a lot of religions. I liked the systematic approach for yoga through Hinduism. And I appreciated the messages put forth in Buddhism and the deeper mysteries of Tantra. Paganism provided openness and the opportunity learn about ancient cultures. Esoteric practices fed my thirst for knowledge.

Judaism made me stop. It brought stillness and the abandonment of my search. I was reconnected with my roots and the loving God I knew as a child. I no longer studied for the sake of knowledge. But for the want of relationship. I encountered need and it was fed. I accepted what I would never know and I was sated. I found peace and joy. I embraced the love I received from others and shared it in return. And the scales fell from eyes and I knew I'd found Him at last.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟125,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've studied and practiced a lot of religions. I liked the systematic approach for yoga through Hinduism. And I appreciated the messages put forth in Buddhism and the deeper mysteries of Tantra. Paganism provided openness and the opportunity learn about ancient cultures. Esoteric practices fed my thirst for knowledge.

Judaism made me stop. It brought stillness and the abandonment of my search. I was reconnected with my roots and the loving God I knew as a child. I no longer studied for the sake of knowledge. But for the want of relationship. I encountered need and it was fed. I accepted what I would never know and I was sated. I found peace and joy. I embraced the love I received from others and shared it in return. And the scales fell from eyes and I knew I'd found Him at last.

LaBèlla,

Just to have a clear picture, I understand you attend a synagogue, and assuming you have a Jewish background, but do you practice Judaism too?

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

I had a similar search in my youth yet reached the opposite conclusion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
LaBèlla,

Just to have a clear picture, I understand you attend a synagogue, and assuming you have a Jewish background, but do you practice Judaism too?

We address the subject through observance. I don't keep kosher but I do observe the Sabbath and the holidays. I pray and study as most Christians do and I believe in Christ as well. My connection to the Lord is more relational than religious. And my presence in the synagogue is a heart issue. I have greater peace when I'm there than elsewhere.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,277,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
In eastern religions, the aesthetics are a reflection of the values of the religion.

Some forms of Christianity are extremely cerebral or they consider aesthetics relatively secondary. It is especially common in Protestantism, but other forms of Christianity place a higher value on aesthetics.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I had a similar search in my youth yet reached the opposite conclusion.

What was your experience?

~smiling quietly...

Aryeh Jay, may Adonai comfort you among the other mourners of Zion and Jerusalem that you should know no further sorrow. Ani miztaeret. ~xo

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
What was your experience?

~smiling quietly...

Aryeh Jay, may Adonai comfort you among the other mourners of Zion and Jerusalem that you should know no further sorrow. Ani miztaeret. ~xo

I am sorry, I misread your post, we had similar results.

• Friendly
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aryeh Jay

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Sure.

...and I am sorry for your son.

I was born in 1971 in Ventura, California to Jewish parents who were marginally religious; they would be classified as Reform Jews. I was circumcised on the correct day but other than the occasional Hanukkah, I don’t remember ever setting foot in a synagogue when I lived in California. Over the summer of 1977 we moved to North Western Arkansas and I started the first grade. There were no other Jews in the city and the closest synagogue was 50 miles or more away, but that suited my family just fine.

One thing about the American South is that they take religion a little more seriously than in other places and I was always asked “what Church do you go to?” The only “wrong” answer was that you did not attend church. I asked my parents about it and my father told me to say “The Methodist Church”. The reasoning I was later told was because they were pretty moderate and most of the people were Baptists or one of the many Pentecostal denominations and would take the answer at face value and not press further other than inviting me to their “real” church and Vacation Bible School. We even attended The First United Methodist Church in that town a few times.

We moved around a bit and whenever I entered a new school, be it in Malvern, Arkansas; Russellville, Alabama; or Cullman, Alabama it was always the same. “What Church do you go to?”, “The Methodist Church”. When I was approaching 13 we were in Brookhaven, Mississippi and there was a Reform Jewish Synagogue in the town and a very small Jewish community so for that point I could say I was Jewish and be let off with a “Greedy Jew” or “Christ killer” reply but otherwise let alone. I learned the required Hebrew prayers to be said at my Bar Mitzvah and after that, my parents never attended services again.

We ended up moving back to Cullman, Alabama. I started to question a lot of things, why were Jews so hated, why did my parents want to hide our faith, what was so good about Christianity and so forth. Since my parents were not forcing any religion on me and did not really observe any religion I as allowed to attend church with my friends. Some were pretty mild, some were OK, some had people that yelled at everyone and some were just downright scary.

Well, I just got called into work so I will have to finish this later…

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
We ended up moving back to Cullman, Alabama. I started to question a lot of things, why were Jews so hated, why did my parents want to hide our faith, what was so good about Christianity and so forth. Since my parents were not forcing any religion on me and did not really observe any religion I as allowed to attend church with my friends. Some were pretty mild, some were OK, some had people that yelled at everyone and some were just downright scary.

Thank you for sharing. I look forward to hearing the rest of your story. :)

Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟24,854.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single

Jesus said I am the way the truth and the Life

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟731,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think what attracts many people to pursue certain faiths, like Buddhism or Islam or Judaism for an example, is the appearance of self-made religion, with all of the aesthetic practices and traditions. If you attended a Baptist or Presbyterian Church, you may not be at all impressed. But, there seems to be this sort of beauty men find in the observances of these particular faiths that convinces them that there is something good and divine among them. It may even be the way the clergy expresses their mannerisms, how a certain building is constructed and looks, or even how organized the group is in all things.

It is then no surprise for someone to find a reason why these faiths should be followed, how their teachings are consistent, etc, etc. They want to believe it is true, because they are drawn to it. But, I don't think this is how Christians are suppose to find Christ. He is not to be found in these outward seductions, but in the very truth of his word. Do you think Satan would try to draw a crowd with unattractive means? No. He will use beauty to deceive many people to believe it is good, and point at the rudimentary nature of what truth embodies with slander.

What are your thoughts?

2nd Timothy 4

3For the time will come when men will not tolerate sound doctrine, but with itching ears they will gather around themselves teachers to suit their own desires. 4So they will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.

Upvote 0

david shelby

Mar 14, 2019
USA
✟2,210.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't believe that Satan creates religions; I believe common sense (more often than not mixed with some superstition though) does. And common sense will tell you that actions matter. These religions acknowledge that; your typical Calvinist and Calvinist-lite Protestantism doesn't. Go to the Baptist church and they'll tell you that you don't need to live morally. While Jews and Buddhists will tell you that you do. Is that Satan? Of course not. That's the common sense that God gave us. Deep down we all know morality matters, no matter how much a corrupted church tries to convince us otherwise. So if any Protestant group is concerned that their people are interested in leaving for other religions, maybe they need to re-investigate what the Bible says about morality. Maybe start with Matthew 19 where Jesus tells the rich young ruler to "keep the commandments" and when asked "which ones?" he lists off the moral commandments.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0