Fellowship What are you studying/reading in scripture currently?

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟193,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But as this is tracking Joseph's family line... I don't see where that is an issue.

A Jew is a Jew if their mother was a Jew.
So Gentiles in the fathers line would not impact the Jewishness of the offspring.

And I don't think you loose your Jewish nature when you marry outside the family lines.

This genealogy would be to solidify Jesus claim to the Davidic throne.
I didn't say it impacted his Jewishness, only that He had Gentiles in His heritage, which He does. Perhaps I should have said His genealogy, it doesn't matter. This thread isn't for us to try and nit pick over words, if you want to do that, do it in another thread. This is a fellowship thread :)

Upvote 0

Ivan Hlavanda

Mar 27, 2020
York
✟96,513.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Currently reading Psalms, but doing indepth verse by verse study on Zechariah.

Psalms to have better prayers and relationship with God. I pray after reading each psalm and think about what I read.

Zechariah, because I'm doing the post-exile minor prophets. The word of God is rich, I'm suprised how in depth so many verses are. I've been doing at least 10 hours on chapter 3 alone, which is lot about grace and Christology. Also, Zechariah is very rich when it comes to history (for anyone interested in history, I suggets studying the 4 empires of Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greek and Roman empire. It is a very fascinating read on how Alexander the Great defeated the Medo-Persia with much smaller army. If I remember correctly, there were 3 different battles where Persians outnumbered the Greeks 30:1 and yet the Greeks won. Historians are puzzled but we know how and why). Also Zechariah is known as the book of revalation of OT and it helps me with understanding of eschatology.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟193,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then what is your point?
Why is it "shocking"? #11
Interesting, sure. Shocking, why?
It shows that even in His incarnation, Jesus had connections with Gentiles. God wasn't just concerned with the Jews.

Upvote 0

dwb001

Balaam's Donkey
Aug 26, 2023
New Brunswick
✟10,589.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
It shows that even in His incarnation, Jesus had connections with Gentiles. God wasn't just concerned with the Jews.
I didn't know that was an issue.
Maybe if you would have included that tidbit this conversation could have gone smoother from the beginning.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟193,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Currently reading Psalms, but doing indepth verse by verse study on Zechariah.

Psalms to have better prayers and relationship with God. I pray after reading each psalm and think aboit what I read.

Zechariah, because I'm doing the post-exile minor prophets. The word of God is rich, I'm suprised how in depth so many verses are. I've been doing at least 10 hours on chapter 3 alone, which is lot about grace and Christology. Also, Zechariah is very rich when it comes to history (for anyone interested in history, I suggets studying the 4 empires of Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greek and Roman empire. It is a very fascinating read on how Alexander the Great defeated the Medo-Persia with much smaller army. If I remember correctly, there were 3 different battles where Persians outnumbered the Greeks 30:1 and yet the Greeks won. Historians are puzzled but we know how and why). Also Zechariah is known as the book of revalation of OT and it helps me with understanding of eschatology.
Very cool!

I'm doing this Bible reading plan where I'm reading the Bible through in 30 days. And honestly it's a bit much, I'll likely not repeat it. Not because I don't enjoy the read, but it's just so much information it's hard to take in the meaning and message. Reading a Psalm a day and meditating on it and praying over it is an excellent idea!

Zechariah is a great choice for end times prophecy. I enjoy the minor prophets. Their message(s) has a lot more of the relationship aspect of God with His people than what I think is realized. Hosea is a good one for sure.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟193,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I didn't know that was an issue.
Maybe if you would have included that tidbit this conversation could have gone smoother from the beginning.
Something that's cool to me may not be cool to you, a person shouldn't have to justify their reasoning and rationale to you. It's no less shocking or interesting even if you don't find it to be so :)

Upvote 0

Ivan Hlavanda

Mar 27, 2020
York
✟96,513.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I enjoy the minor prophets. Their message(s) has a lot more of the relationship aspect of God with His people than what I think is realized. Hosea is a good one for sure
Yes indeed. Its a shame when Christians don't bother with the OT. I've also done indepth study on Haggai. I can send you my notes if you want (they contain some writting on premelisnialism)

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟193,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes indeed. Its a shame when Christians don't bother with the OT. I've also done indepth study on Haggai. I can send you my notes if you want (they contain some writting on premelisnialism)
That would be cool, I'd enjoy reading that

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Jesus is the only Way
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟725,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ok, I said His heritage had Gentiles though. Perhaps I should have said His genealogy, it doesn't matter. This thread isn't for us to try and nit pick over words, if you want to do that, do it in another thread. This is a fellowship thread :)
I was not debating. nor was I nitpicking, nor was I teaching.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟168,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
That is not something I knew before, interesting. Luke's had a different purpose starting from creation, whereas Matthew started with Abraham

Let's start,..

Mat 1:1 The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.
Mat 1:2 Abraham begat Isaac; and Isaac begat Jacob; and Jacob begat Judah and his brethren;
Mat 1:3 and Judah begat Perez and Zerah of Tamar; and Perez begat Hezron; and Hezron begat Ram;
Mat 1:4 and Ram begat Amminadab; and Amminadab begat Nahshon; and Nahshon begat Salmon;
Mat 1:5 and Salmon begat Boaz of Rahab; and Boaz begat Obed of Ruth; and Obed begat Jesse;
Mat 1:6 and Jesse begat David the king.

And David begat Solomon of her that had been the wife of Uriah;
Mat 1:7 and Solomon begat Rehoboam; and Rehoboam begat Abijah; and Abijah begat Asa;
Mat 1:8 and Asa begat Jehoshaphat; and Jehoshaphat begat Joram; and Joram begat Uzziah;
Mat 1:9 and Uzziah begat Jotham; and Jotham begat Ahaz; and Ahaz begat Hezekiah;
Mat 1:10 and Hezekiah begat Manasseh; and Manasseh begat Amon; and Amon begat Josiah;
Mat 1:11 and Josiah begat Jechoniah and his brethren, at the time of the carrying away to Babylon.

Mat 1:12 And after the carrying away to Babylon, Jechoniah begat Shealtiel; and Shealtiel begat Zerubbabel;
Mat 1:13 and Zerubbabel begat Abiud; and Abiud begat Eliakim; and Eliakim begat Azor;
Mat 1:14 and Azor begat Sadoc; and Sadoc begat Achim; and Achim begat Eliud;
Mat 1:15 and Eliud begat Eleazar; and Eleazar begat Matthan; and Matthan begat Jacob;
Mat 1:16 and Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

And Matthew makes this statement after the genealogy,...

Mat 1:17 So all the generations from Abraham unto David are fourteen generations; and from David unto the carrying away to Babylon fourteen generations; and from the carrying away to Babylon unto the Christ fourteen generations.

But there is a problem, one of the lists has only 13 names,..... or does it???

Notice,...

Mat 1:11 and Josiah begat Jechoniah and his brethren, at the time of the carrying away to Babylon.

Jechoniah is not the son of Josiah, he is the grandson. The son that should be listed is Jehoiakim, but he did great evil in the sight of GOD so that his children were cursed, thereby placing a curse on the bloodline.

So what did Matthew do here?
He abridged the name of Jehoiakim with the name of Jechoniah his son. This was somewhat common in Jewish genealogies, and that's what we see here. The name of Jehoiakim is there because of him being one of the sons of Josiah, but it isn't because Matthew used Jechoniah's name instead to strike Jehoiakim's name from the genealogy.

Once we understand this, the amounts total out correct. There is even later manuscripts that wrongly added Jehoiakim, there by creating too many names.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟168,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Trying to take a break from the back and forth debate type threads. What are you currently studying or reading about in scripture? A particular topic or subject? What led you to that particular theme?

To answer your OP, I've been looking at a section in Hebrews lately as I was reviewing some work I've been doing editing the NT,.....

36 For ye have need of patience, that after doing the will of GOD, ye may receive the promise.

37 "For yet a little while, The-One coming shalt arrive and will not delay.

38 "But the righteous shall live by [My] faith,” “and if he draweth back,” “My soul hath no pleasure in him.

39 But we are not of those drawing back unto destruction, but of faith unto the saving of the soul.

In particular, I was looking at verse 38 and the different ways it was presented in the Greek manuscripts,...

Hebrews 10:38:
TEXT: "·but my righteous-one shall live by faith"
EVIDENCE: p46 S A H* 33 1175 1739 most lat most vg one cop(north) cop(south)
TRANSLATIONS: ASV RSV NASV NIV NEB TEV ("righteous people")

NOTES: "·but the righteous-one shall live by faith"
EVIDENCE: p13 Dc Hc I K P Psi 81 104 614 630 1241 1881 2495 Byz Lect two lat some vg syr(pal) some cop(north)
TRANSLATIONS: KJV ASVn NIVn? ("the righteous shall")

OTHER: "·but the righteous-one shall live by my faith"
EVIDENCE: D* two lat syr(p,h)

The OT text that this is quoting is from Habakuk,....

Hab 2:4 Behold, his soul is puffed up, it is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith.

It looks like the more correct wording of this particular section would come from the later manuscripts, if the NT is to reflect the OT, like it does in the Syriac and Latin translation from the Greek. So,.... I place the papyrus section in first, with brackets on the later section to identify it as such,...

38 "But the righteous shall live by [My] faith,” “and if he draweth back,” “My soul hath no pleasure in him.”

Done :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ivan Hlavanda

Mar 27, 2020
York
✟96,513.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Haggai

Introduction: The book of Haggai is the 37th book of the Bible. It is also the tenth part of ‘the book of the twelve’ (twelve minor prophets of the Old Testament). He is the first of three post-exile prophets, the other two are Zechariah and Malachi. The book of Haggai only has two chapters, and 38 verses, making it the second shortest book of the Old Testament (Obadiah being the shortest).

After 70 years of exile, the Southern Kingdom of Israel as a result of the proclamations of Cyrus the Persian, was allowed to return from Babylon to her homeland. The return of the exiles to Judah was carried in three waves. The first wave, where Haggai was, was carried in the year 538 B.C. under the civil leadership of King’s David offspring Zerubbabel, and the spiritual guidance of Joshua the High-Priest.

Haggai 1:1In the second year of Darius the king, in the sixth month, on the first day of the month, the word of the Lord came by the hand of Haggai the prophet to Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel, governor of Judah, and to Joshua the son of Jehozadak, the high priest:’

In first verse in the Book of Haggai, we can find the exact date when Haggai’s ministry began. Darius the first, was the king of Persia in years 522-486 B.C. therefore we know that Haggai’s ministry began in year 520 B.C.

Haggai in other books of the Bible: There are few references in other books of the Bible about prophet Haggai. Most of them we can see in the book of Ezra, where in chapter 5:1, and chapter 6:14 we read about Haggai’s ministry. Prophet Haggai was also referenced in the New Testament (Heb. 12:26).

Ezra 4:24 ‘The work on the house of God that is in Jerusalem stopped.’

When Judah returned to their land in 538B.C. they were tasked by God to restore the destroyed Temple in Jerusalem. However, the opposition against this work was so intense that the Jews ceased work two years later. For 16 years, from 536 B.C. to 520 B.C (‘until the second year of the reign of Darius king of Persia’ Ezra 4:24.) work on rebuilding was halted.

Ezra 5:1 ‘Now the prophets, Haggai and Zechariah the son of Iddo, prophesied to the Jews who were in Judah and Jerusalem, in the name of the God of Israel who was over them.’ 2 Then Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel and Jeshua the son of Jozadak arose and began to rebuild the house of God that is in Jerusalem, and the prophets of God were with them, supporting them.

Ezra 6:14 ‘And the elders of the Jews built and prospered through the prophesying of Haggai the prophet and Zechariah the son of Iddo. They finished their building by decree of the God of Israel and by decree of Cyrus and Darius and Artaxerxes king of Persia; 15 and this house was finished on the third day of the month of Adar, in the sixth year of the reign of Darius the king.’ (Year 516 B.C.)

Background: The name Haggai means ‘festive’, from the Hebrew word חָגַג (chagag). The parents of Haggai, who lived as exiles in Babylonia, waited for fulfilment of God’s promise that He spoke through prophet Jeremiah and other Old Testament prophets, that once 70 years of the punishment of Judah’s exile in Babylonia pass, God will bring His elect back to Jerusalem who will rebuild the destroyed temple, and renew the worship of God and the celebration of God’s feasts. Jerusalem, as we know, was God’s chosen place for worship and celebration of feasts, meaning that God’s people could not worship anywhere else. God’s chosen people were commanded by God where they will worship, when and how.

God’s people couldn’t worship God and celebrate His feasts for 70 years. We know from the recent pandemic and not being able to go to Church for 3 months, how much we missed worshipping and praising God with our assembly in our Church, as we were stuck home for health reasons. Doing Sunday service online for 3 months just was not the same as meeting together but imagine not being able to go to Church for 70 years. In 70 A.D. God however took away Israel’s worship not for 70 years, but for the whole Church age, currently 1952 years. Although the Jews are meeting in synagogues today, they are not capable of true worship and celebration of God’s feasts, including sacrifices, as God has taken these things away from them. What they are doing in synagogues today is only a poor shadow of the former things that God commanded.

The Jews then were not able to fully worship God for 70 years during the exile period. Why was this the case? Was this just a coincidence? No, it was God’s punishment for Judah’s disobedience.

Why did God send Judah to exile?

About 200 years before Haggai, the prophet Isaiah was ministering in Israel.
Isaiah 1:10 ‘Hear the word of the Lord, you rulers of Sodom! Give ear to the teaching of our God, you people of Gomorrah!’

God here addresses Israel, and He calls them disgracefully people of Sodom and Gomorrah. Why?

Isaiah 1:11 “What to me is the multitude of your sacrifices? says the Lord; I have had enough of burnt offerings of rams and the fat of well-fed beasts; I do not delight in the blood of bulls, or of lambs, or of goats. 12 “When you come to appear before me, who has required of you this trampling of my courts? 13 Bring no more vain offerings; incense is an abomination to me. New moon and Sabbath and the calling of convocations— I cannot endure iniquity and solemn assembly.14 Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hates; they have become a burden to me; I am weary of bearing them. 15 When you spread out your hands. I will hide my eyes from you; even though you make many prayers, I will not listen; your hands are full of blood. 16 Wash yourselves; make yourselves clean; remove the evil of your deeds from before my eyes; cease to do evil, 17 learn to do good; seek justice, correct oppression; bring justice to the fatherless, plead the widow's cause.

When God punishes His people, we should ask ourselves why. And why does He allow these things to happen? We have to realise that God does not always like the assembly of His people, as God is not always glorified among them. The closer is the age of Church near it’s end, the more lawlessness and unrighteousness increases among those who call themselves God’s people and belonging to Christ. We should therefore ask ourselves whether our worship of God and our assemblies truly glorify God the way He wants us to glorify Him. God does not need us, God is merciful, and when He calls us to Him, it is not because He needs anything from us, but because He does so from His perfect love and judgement. Let’s not think that because we bring something to God, He is required to accept it. Let’s remember the sacrifices that were brought by Cain and Abel. God is worthy of all of our love and praise. How do we approach God? How much respect do we give Him in everything that we do and in our Churches? How do we today give glory to God? By living by His Word and Commandments, by denying ourselves, and fulfilling His will. Because if we do not live righteously before Him, its irrelevant how many people come to our Church, even if we have the most beautiful praises and songs, but if we do not live Godly lives, God will not accept these things. Do we come to the Church to seek and worship God or because of other people? Do we come to our Churches with hearts on fire for God, or do we come there mechanically, just for the sake of it, and once the Sunday service stops, we forget about God?

The pre-exile prophets were warning God’s people that the Lord will end their feasts, because God had enough of hypocrisy, compromise, sin, things that were in contradiction with His Holy Word. Hosea, for example, who was ministering in years 755-710 B.C. in the times of Isaiah, prophesised the Word of God to His people ‘And I will put an end to all her mirth, her feasts, her new moons, her Sabbaths, and all her appointed feasts (Hosea 2:11). Who does God here mean by her? God’s unfaithful wife, Israel. God has therefore for her unfaithfulness and adultery (worship of idols and other gods) decided to end all of her feasts. We know that this prophecy was fulfilled in year 586 B.C.

Isaiah 29:1 Ah, Ariel, Ariel, the city where David encamped! Add year to year; let the feasts run their round. 2 Yet I will distress Ariel, and there shall be moaning and lamentation, and she shall be to me like an Ariel. 3 And I will encamp against you all around and will besiege you with towers and I will raise siegeworks against you.

It was the Lord God who brought the king of Babylon, who with his army besieged Jerusalem in such way that the citizens of Jerusalem had nothing to eat and were so hungry, that they killed and ate their own children. Why? For Ariel’s unfaithfulness. Ariel is another name for Jerusalem. The word means the lioness of God. Jerusalem was God’s lioness, but a lioness that was unfaithful, disobedient, neglecting of His word and commandments. If we are not holding to God’s Word, if we are not obedient, our worship and praise of God will be in vain.

However God’s prophets did not only prophesy about God’s punishment, but also about His mercy, forgiveness, and hope. Nahum 1:15 ‘Behold, upon the mountains, the feet of him who brings good news, who publishes peace! Keep your feasts, O Judah; fulfil your vows, for never again shall the worthless pass through you; he is utterly cut off.

Nahum ministered in around 697 B.C., so few years after Isaiah, but 150 years before Haggai, so Haggai’s parents must have known about this God’s promise that He spoke through Nahum, that Judah will once again celebrate the feasts of God.

The seven feasts of God

First, we have the 4 spring feasts, which have been already fulfilled by Lord Jesus.

• Pesach (Passover) – celebrated on 14th of Nisan, exodus of the Israelites from slavery in Egypt (Exodus 12). Points to Lamb of God being sacrificed.
  • Hag Ha-Matzot (The Feast of unleavened Bread) – celebrated from 15th – 22nd Nisan. This feast celebrates the journey of the children of Israel through the wilderness, when following Passover and Exodus, they ate unleavened bread for 30 days. Points to crucifixion of Jesus and removal and destruction of the sin.
  • Ha bikkurim (first fruits) Nisan 17th, thanksgiving to God for the first fruit of Harvest. Points to resurrection of Jesus. Jesus is the head of His people; He is resurrected first.
  • Hag Shavuot (Pentecost) 6th of Sivan, agricultural festival, marking the beginning of the wheat harvest. Points to the pouring of the Holy Spirit.
Then, we have the 3 autumn feasts, which are yet to be fulfilled by Jesus in the future.

• Rosh Hashanah (feast of trumpets) 1st of Tishri commemorates the creation of the world (new year) and marks the beginning the Days of Awe. Points to the rapture of the Church.
  • Yom Kippur (feast of atonement) 10th of Tishri. The feast when the High Priest entered the Holy of Holies once a year and brought a sacrifice for the sins of all Israel. Points to Israel repenting of piercing Jesus on the cross (Zechariah 12:10).
  • Sukkot (feast of tabernacles) 15th – 22nd Tishri. Sukkot is named after the booths or huts in which Israelites dwelt for 40 years of wandering in the desert. This feast points to the literal millennial reign of Christ here on Earth.

As mentioned before, the name Haggai means festive, and the 7 Feasts were pivotal for Israel in worshipping God every year. But for them to be celebrated the way God commanded them to be celebrated, a Temple must be built. Therefore it is no wonder why God sent Haggai to Jerusalem and commanded them to continue with the rebuilding of the Temple, which was destroyed 70 years earlier as a punishment for Judah’s disobedience, which they have stopped building after two years for various reasons.

We barely got any information about the prophet Haggai in the Bible. We do not know how he lived, who was his wife, what his life circumstances were, the Word of God does not speak about any of these things, meaning, the Word of God does not want us to focus on the prophet’s life, but only about the prophecy he brought. This is in contrast with prophet Jeremiah for example, where the prophet’s life was closely connected with his ministry.

Upvote 0

Ivan Hlavanda

Mar 27, 2020
York
✟96,513.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Prophecy: Haggai brought four prophecies from God to the post-exile Jews. First Haggai’s prophecy came on 29th of August 520 B.C. and his last was on 18th December 520 B.C.

In first verse of the first chapter of Haggai, we read this: ‘the word of the Lord came by the hand of Haggai’. The word of God just came to the prophet. There are various ways in the Bible, in which God communicates with His prophets. It could be through a vision, a dream, a direct voice from God, but the most common way was that the Word of God came to be through the prophet. Apostle Peter described it as a Word of God drives a prophet, like when a wind drives a boat on sea, we do not see the wind, but we do see the effects of the wind which drives the boat. Most of the times the Word of God came to a prophet like this; that the Holy Spirit supernaturally lead them in prophesising the Word of God to people, and also lead them to writing the Word down the way God desired.

The main prophecy of Haggai was to tell people of Judah to continue of rebuilding the Temple in Jerusalem, which they stopped years earlier, because of hardship of their enemies, but also because they were concerned for their own lives, rather than what God commanded them to do once they returned from the exile. The main theme of the book of Haggai is therefore the restoration of Jerusalem’s Temple in the time of Zerubbabel.

The main message of Haggai is to live for God’s glory.
Haggai 1: 2 “Thus says the Lord of hosts: These people say the time has not yet come to rebuild the house of the Lord.” 3 Then the word of the Lord came by the hand of Haggai the prophet, 4 “Is it a time for you yourselves to dwell in your panelled houses, while this house lies in ruins? 5 Now, therefore, thus says the Lord of hosts: Consider your ways.

A man must have God’s will as a priority in his heart. That was true in the Old Testament but is also true today. What is God’s temple today which His people must built? A temple more important than our homes, families, and even lives? The Church of the living God. Like Jesus said in Matthew 6:33 ‘But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.’ Ephesians 2: 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.
This is what the Lord God redeemed us for, that we are His piece and do the good works He has prepared for us. Unfortunately, in the early Church already, many Christians were failing to do this. As Paul wrote in Philippians 2:21 For they all seek their own interests, not those of Jesus Christ.
But this is not how we should be.

Second message from Haggai was God’s upbringing. If a believer fails to put God’s will on first place in His life, the Lord God does not bless this person, but on the contrary, He puts obstacles in the believers life, and with difficulties He tries to bring the believer back on the right path.
Haggai 1:9 ‘You looked for much, and behold, it came to little. And when you brought it home, I blew it away. Why? declares the Lord of hosts. Because of my house that lies in ruins, while each of you busies himself with his own house.’ God then has caused many difficulties for His people, hardship, and wounds, so that His people would think again about their priorities in their life. God deals with His people the same way today.

Third message from Haggai is that the difficulties and hardship God allows in a believers life does not mean that God has abandoned him or changed intentions for his life. In contrary, for Haggai we can learn that God’s intention for the lives of His people remain the same. Haggai 2:4 ‘Yet now be strong, O Zerubbabel, declares the Lord. Be strong, O Joshua, son of Jehozadak, the high priest. Be strong, all you people of the land, declares the Lord. Work, for I am with you, declares the Lord of hosts.’

Fourth message from Haggai is not to disregard the small things. We must remember that we do not and cannot see the whole of God’s plan, we can only see tiny little bits. We as people can be often despondent, and we can see this in Haggai 2:3 ‘Who is left among you who saw this house in its former glory? How do you see it now? Is it not as nothing in your eyes? It has been about 50 years since the first temple has been destroyed, and once the reconstruction started, as we see in Ezra 3:12, many men wept ‘But many of the priests and Levites and heads of fathers' houses, old men who had seen the first house, wept with a loud voice when they saw the foundation of this house being laid.’ They wept because they had little faith and overview of what the glory of the New Temple will be. Everything God does is for His glory, and we must know that when God commands us something, however big or small it may appear, we must obey and do God’s work as it is for His glory. These Jews in the times of Haggai did not understand this, that the New Temple was part of God’s sovereign plan of salvation. For the Messiah to come and for the scriptures to be fulfilled, the Temple must be rebuilt. The Jews of that time were part of God’s great plan, but from their point of view, it could have looked little. We too can be guilty of this today, including me, that the work God gave me appears to be insignificant, but we do not see God’s great plan.

Haggai 2:6 For thus says the Lord of hosts: Yet once more, in a little while, I will shake the heavens and the earth and the sea and the dry land. 7 And I will shake all nations, so that the treasures of all nations shall come in, and I will fill this house with glory, says the Lord of hosts. 8 The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, declares the Lord of hosts. 9 The latter glory of this house shall be greater than the former, says the Lord of hosts. And in this place I will give peace, declares the Lord of hosts.’”

I doubt the Jews could have in that time foreseen how important it was to rebuild the Temple, and where it would lead to. We today can learn from this. We can see from this clearly that no matter how small or big God’s will seems in our life, even if it might appear insignificant to us, that there is a good reason God asks us to do things according to His perfect will, so let’s not be despondent. Paul therefore says in 1. Corinthians 15:58

58 Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.

The fifth message of the book of Haggai is this – repetition of basic theological rules, specifically that sin is terribly contagious, and is an obstacle to God’s blessings.
With sanctification it is different. Sanctification does not spread like sin and uncleanliness.

Haggai 2:12 ‘If someone carries holy meat in the fold of his garment and touches with his fold bread or stew or wine or oil or any kind of food, does it become holy?’” The priests answered and said, “No.” 13 Then Haggai said, “If someone who is unclean by contact with a dead body touches any of these, does it become unclean?” The priests answered and said, “It does become unclean.”

This is a deep spiritual principle. Let’s imagine a bowel of fruit. If we put one rotten fruit among other fruits, what will happen? What will happen in a day or two? Will the rotten fruit freshen other fruit, or will it all rot?

This is how dangerous sin is. If there is iniquity, sin in God’s people, it spreads and infects many. We see this in Moses’s time already. With sanctification, it is much more delicate.

1 Corinthians 5:6 ‘Your boasting is not good. Do you not know that a little leaven leavens the whole lump? 7 Cleanse out the old leaven that you may be a new lump, as you really are unleavened.’

In Scripture we have many examples of what a single sin, uncleanliness caused. Remember for example the conquest of city Ai, how many Israelis died, because one man’s sin. Therefore God’s people in time of Haggai could not receive God’s blessings until they cleansed themselves of sin, and they stood righteously before God.

What is the main call of Haggai’s prophecy? Haggai 1:5 Now, therefore, thus says the Lord of hosts: Consider your ways.’ It is very important for us Christians today to contemplate on our ways, to examine our spiritual lives, and under the guidance of the Lord our God and His Spirit, to reach correct conclusions about His Holy Word. Sometimes we have to repent, sometimes we have to add, sometimes we have to reduce, and to shape our minds by the Holy Spirit. 2 Corinthians 13:5 ‘Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you fail to meet the test!’ And how do we examine our-selves? Not by comparing to other Christians who perhaps live less Godly lives than we do, but to compare ourselves to Lord Jesus. He is the standard we should measure ourselves, after He we must model our lives.

28 Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. 29 For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment on himself (1. Corinthians 11:28).

To summarise the theology of the book of Haggai.

• Priority of values
  • Godly acting
  • Sanctification and control of sin among God’s people
  • Consequences of sin and uncleanliness
  • Certainty of divine call
  • Covenant of grace
Historical impact of the book of Haggai

Building and finishing Zerubbabel’s temple (second temple).

Eschatological perspective

Renewal and foreshadow of the Millennial Temple, and Lord’s Day.

Messianic emphasis of the book of Haggai

Haggai 2:7 7 I will shake all nations, and what is desired by all nations will come, and I will fill this house with glory,’ says the Lord Almighty.’ What or who is the desire of all the nations? Who is the deliverer, who is the hope of Israel and all the heathen nations? Lord Jesus Christ. He is the covenant salvation who is not only promised to Israel, but all the heathen nations also, because God’s people will be called from all the corners of the Earth. Thus the book of Haggai promises what every nation desires – the fulfilment of Abraham’s covenant.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟56,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
He had Gentiles in His heritage
Cool Fresh/New "Realization"/ Evidence Found (albeit fast search) >

"to make a point—that God has never been opposed to grafting Gentiles into his promise that Abraham’s seed and Israel’s King would bring blessing to the nations.

Tamar was Gentile—a Canaanite who dressed like a prostitute to seduce her father-in-law.

Rahab was a Gentile—a Canaanite who was a harlot.

Ruth was a Gentile—a Moabite—a people group born of incest.

Bathsheba was a Gentile—a Hittite who committed adultery with David.

Matthew doesn’t include Sarah, Rebecca, or Rachel. He instead includes four Gentiles who make the point that

the gospel is for sinners, and particularly for Gentile sinners."

• Winner
Reactions: ByTheSpirit
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Jesus is the only Way
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟725,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why?
Actual interest in why Jehoshaphat would be interesting.
Jehoshaphat was an interesting King. What I found as a hmmm..... moment was the account of his battle in 2 Chronicles. I just thought - well there is no way he could die. It's not a preachable thought, but an interesting one.

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟290,931.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Excellent thread.

Almost a year ago, I camped out in Ps 37 particularly verse 4. Delight is one of those words that doesn't translate well. Recently, I'm revisiting the verses in Philippians on humility. My job can be dehumanizing, and since Jesus could set aside His godhood, I can set aside my humanity as a service to others.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟193,596.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I read Psalms 86-90 this morning, and my goodness... they are INCREDIBLE!

Psalms 86 (BSB)
1 Incline Your ear, O LORD, and answer me,
for I am poor and needy.
2 Preserve my soul, for I am godly.
You are my God; save Your servant who trusts in You.
3 Be merciful to me, O Lord,
for I call to You all day long.
4 Bring joy to Your servant,
for to You, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
5 For You, O Lord, are kind and forgiving,
rich in loving devotion to all who call on You.
6 Hear my prayer, O LORD,
and attend to my plea for mercy.
7 In the day of my distress I call on You,
because You answer me.
8 O Lord, there is none like You among the gods,
nor any works like Yours.
9 All the nations You have made
will come and bow before You, O Lord,
and they will glorify Your name.
10 For You are great and perform wonders;
You alone are God.
11 Teach me Your way, O LORD,
that I may walk in Your truth.
Give me an undivided heart,
that I may fear Your name.
12 I will praise You, O Lord my God, with all my heart;
I will glorify Your name forever.
13 For great is Your loving devotion to me;
You have delivered me from the depths of Sheol.
14 The arrogant rise against me, O God;
a band of ruthless men seeks my life,
with no regard for You.
15 But You, O Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God,
slow to anger, abounding in loving devotion and faithfulness.
16 Turn to me and have mercy;
grant Your strength to Your servant;
save the son of Your maidservant.
17 Show me a sign of Your goodness,
that my enemies may see and be ashamed;
for You, O LORD, have helped me and comforted me.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟668,148.00
Country
United States
Faith