What Are the Weaknesses of Conservative Christianity?

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Any effort to be a moderate must begin with an understanding of one's own weakness, as it's only in the fertile ground of humility, bridge-building can grow, and, evaluating one's "side" is a beneficial undertaking, now and again.

As a theologically conservative Christian myself, I want to explore the weaknesses and blind spots of conservative Christianity and where it possibly overreaches.

In the spirit of the sub-forum, please discuss the topic with respect and gentleness.

Reactions: JCFantasy23

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Perhaps the only or main weakness is the same as it was in Jesus day,
and throughout history up to the current day,
in any group,
"pretenders" / "actors on the stage of life" - Christians in name only.

Jesus put it simply to everyone . "You must be born again".

Even so-called 'teachers' did not understand Jesus, but it was and is still true.

It is an experience, from the will of the Father in heaven, not from the will of men.

So it depends fully on the Father in heaven. Not on anything men can do or hope or accomplish.

Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
At times, (some) conservatives can place a higher priority on pure doctrine than we do on people. Of course I'm not, and never would, suggest we loose our zeal for truth and the proper application of His word, but genuine empathy can be lost if we fail to prioritize reconciling people to God over getting them to fall in line doctrinally. It takes time, teaching, and the work of the Spirt to renew minds and shape them into like-mindedness with Christ.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps the only or main weakness is the same as it was in Jesus day,
and throughout history up to the current day,
in any group,
"pretenders" / "actors on the stage of life" - Christians in name only.

Jesus put it simply to everyone . "You must be born again".

Even so-called 'teachers' did not understand Jesus, but it was and is still true.

It is an experience, from the will of the Father in heaven, not from the will of men.

So it depends fully on the Father in heaven. Not on anything men can do or hope or accomplish.

Thanks for the response.

While I agree with you; however, I don't know if nominal Christianity is a uniquely conservative problem. Aren't there liberal nominal Christians?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Thanks for the response.

While I agree with you; however, I don't know if nominal Christianity is a uniquely conservative problem. Aren't there liberal nominal Christians?
I don't know if there are any liberal Christians.
It may change on how narrow or how wide the group "liberal" is.
edit in:
I don't know if there are any nominal Christians.
It may change on how narrow or how wide the group "nominal" is.

That is - people who are collected in the liberal box, or in the nominal box, might not be with Jesus at all. (if the definition of liberal, or of nominal, excludes them).
Some people couldn't tell a nominal Christian from a politician,
or a liberal Christian from an evangelists. (not that that's important - it's all about context/ who do you say is included in "nominal" or in "liberal")

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Any effort to be a moderate must begin with an understanding of one's own weakness, as it's only in the fertile ground of humility, bridge-building can grow, and, evaluating one's "side" is a beneficial undertaking, now and again.

As a theologically conservative Christian myself, I want to explore the weaknesses and blind spots of conservative Christianity and where it possibly overreaches.

In the spirit of the sub-forum, please discuss the topic with respect and gentleness.

Well, I don't know if this counts as part of what you wanted . . . . but being opposed to the findings of science is a biggy. Especially when they say things like they don't oppose real science, just the evil (insert part of science to deny here . . . )

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,277,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
A lack of empathy and a prioritization of doing things the right way, over treating people the right way. There is also a general perfectionistic tendency that can easily become a graceless way to live.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BrianJK

Abdul Masih
Aug 21, 2013
Seaside, CA
✟20,934.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Personally, it's the marriage of politics to religion. I lean more toward the conservative side theologically, but more toward the liberal side politically. I've found it challenging at times to find a church (I'm in the Army; I move often) which doesn't compromise evangelical theology but also doesn't preach conservative politics (especially on political issues far removed from religion) or preach nastiness at non-conservative politicians from the pulpit.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
It may change on how narrow or how wide the group "liberal" is.
edit in:
I don't know if there are any nominal Christians.
It may change on how narrow or how wide the group "nominal" is.

That is - people who are collected in the liberal box, or in the nominal box, might not be with Jesus at all.

Please stay on topic, and avoid bunny trails.

Nominal Christianity is not a uniquely conservative problem, and insinuating what you have above is not only in violation of CF rules, but completely against the spirit of the sub-forum.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Personally, it's the marriage of politics to religion. I lean more toward the conservative side theologically, but more toward the liberal side politically. I've found it challenging at times to find a church (I'm in the Army; I move often) which doesn't compromise evangelical theology but also doesn't preach conservative politics (especially on political issues far removed from religion) or preach nastiness at non-conservative politicians from the pulpit.

I'm sure this problem exists, although I've never experienced it in 30+ years as a conservative Christian, but it is not a uniquely conservative weakness. Remember Jeremiah Wright?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I am quite socially liberal, and conservative in some respects.
Raised by progressives, turned to conservatives, swinging
back to liberal.

img_0680.jpg

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,518,980.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My observation is that - as a gross generalisation - more conservative Christians are more willing to try to control those with whom they disagree.

Liberal Christians (problematic label, but I don't know what to use instead) tend to be quite happy to walk their walk with integrity and let others be different without seeing that as a problem.

So if there's an issue on which opinion is divided, a conservative Christian is more likely to try to get their point of view enshrined in legislation, for example, rather than say, "Well, I disagree and will live in accordance with my beliefs, but it's not up to me what you do."

Perhaps that relates to the BrianJK's point about politics?

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
My observation is that - as a gross generalisation - more conservative Christians are more willing to try to control those with whom they disagree.

Looking at that with the most generous eyes you can muster, why do you think it is that conservatives would not take a, "live and let live" approach to Christian doctrine/practice? Would you say that their motivation was in fact the desire to control others?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,518,980.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Having repented of the "my opinions should be imposed on everybody else" mindset some time ago, and thinking back to why I thought that, I think there's the belief that if my beliefs are right, and we all lived in accordance with them, our families/communities/etc would be better off.

The problem with that, as I see it, is that we need to stop to ask what harm is done by the imposition of my beliefs, even if I am in fact completely correct. But that seems to be the bit where conversations with conservatives of that sort of bent founder.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Having repented of the "my opinions should be imposed on everybody else" mindset some time ago, and thinking back to why I thought that, I think there's the belief that if my beliefs are right, and we all lived in accordance with them, our families/communities/etc would be better off.

The problem with that, as I see it, is that we need to stop to ask what harm is done by the imposition of my beliefs, even if I am in fact completely correct. But that seems to be the bit where conversations with conservatives of that sort of bent founder.

Are you saying that you don't impose your beliefs on others, or that liberals in general don't, because I'm trying to get at conservative-specific weaknesses, and I can't turn on the news for 5 minutes without seeing liberal beliefs being forced on people. So, if both parties do this, it's not the type of weakness that we are looking for here.

In starting this threat, I'm aiming the spotlight on myself and conservatives in general. I ask that conservatives who post here be as hard on themselves as they can bear, and liberals to be as soft on us as they can stand. In the same way you would take an eyelash out of someone's eye, you go easy when someone asks you to assist them in that task.

Try to take the most charitable approach that you can imagine, just as you would expect/desire the most charitable hearing of your views.

Reactions: crossnote
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,518,980.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying that you don't impose your beliefs on others, or that liberals in general don't, because I'm trying to get at conservative-specific weaknesses, and I can't turn on the news for 5 minutes without seeing liberal beliefs being forced on people. So, if both parties do this, it's not the type of weakness that we are looking for here.

I think it is a more classically liberal approach to refuse to try to impose one's beliefs on others.

Take as an example - currently topical in Australia - same-sex marriage. Conservatives say, "I think it's not right, therefore it should not exist." Where people who are more liberal will say, "Well, I think it's not right, so I won't do it, but I won't stop others from doing it."

Try to take the most charitable approach that you can imagine, just as you would expect/desire the most charitable hearing of your views.

To be clear, I don't claim to be either liberal or conservative. I find those labels unhelpful and not descriptive of my overall approach. But I always try to be charitable. :)

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I think it is a more classically liberal approach to refuse to try to impose one's beliefs on others.

Take as an example - currently topical in Australia - same-sex marriage. Conservatives say, "I think it's not right, therefore it should not exist." Where people who are more liberal will say, "Well, I think it's not right, so I won't do it, but I won't stop others from doing it."

For the record, I'm not speaking about classical liberalism. TYI, I would call myself a classical liberal. We aren't referring to politics when we say conservative or liberal. We are referring to the spectrum of Christianity, Left to Right.

If one believes something evil would allowing it to exist be the honorable thing to do for him?

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,518,980.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Can you then define for me, (and perhaps everyone else would find it helpful too), what you mean by conservative and liberal in this context? Because I am not sure we are talking about the same things.

As to your question, does God not allow many evil things to exist? Should we presume to do otherwise?

Upvote 0