Dec 2, 2019
✟225,571.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'll just mention her vision of the 4th commandment, where she saw it had been circled or shining more than the others. It seems her emphasis was on observing the sabbath and connected people's salvation to the sabbath.

I do not believe she was a cultist, like what some other modern day false prophets practise( being initiated into strange cults). But i do believe she was in error there. Deceived more like.

If you come into contact with adventists, they will tell you, they are waiting for the mark of the beast to be implemented and that it will either be, the sabbath which is the seal of the living God or the mark of the beast. They seem to mostly pay attention to the sabbath day, i.e whether they have worked or not on the sabbath, cooked or not including what they can eat and can't. Its as if the sabbath, alongside other religious practices, are what will take us to heaven.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob S
Upvote 0

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,571.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
From what I've read, Adventists believe in the Protestant doctrine of salvation by faith alone.

Salvation by works more like... I have nothing against Adventism, only i wish they'd stop worrying too much about the national sunday laws and about people running to the mountains for safety, during the time of trouble. God can only be found, when we worship Him in spirit and in truth and not in the flesh.

Tell an adventist that Jesus still heals today and the next thing they will do, is refer to Mrs White's writings to see what she says regarding healing. And guess what? If She either disagrees or agrees then automatically everyone else will follow suit and disagree or agree, without even checking the scriptures in relation to her writings.

Reactions: FPhelps
Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟376,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
NO EGW is not a Prophet. Why remain an SDA, where else are you going to go. for all it's error do you have a better place of practice and teaching and lifestyle? you get just as much error any place else. eternal torment, unhealthy lifestyle, wild prophetic predictions.

Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟387,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
NO EGW is not a Prophet. Why remain an SDA, where else are you going to go. for all it's error do you have a better place of practice and teaching and lifestyle? you get just as much error any place else. eternal torment, unhealthy lifestyle, wild prophetic predictions.

I would like to see a detailed outline of your claims of error. Please post it so we can discuss it and get to the bottom of it. If there is any truth to it, it will be made apparent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟376,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I would like to see a detailed outline of your claims of error. Please post it so we can discuss it and get to the bottom of it. If there is any truth to it, it will be made apparent.
you can find this on line. the fact that you would ask this from a member of the forum, to drop everything is amazing and unrealistic.

Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟387,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
i am going to come at this from a different angle. I am going to ask you to explain How you came to the conclusion that EGW was a prophet? What convinced you. was it her writings? Her claims? were you raised with it and just accepted it as fact? Did you convert and have some encounter or revelation? or was it something else?

SDA stances on scripture and Ellen G. White; articles from fundamental beliefs:

1 The Holy Scriptures

The Holy Scriptures, Old and New Testaments, are the written Word of God, given by divine inspiration. The inspired authors spoke and wrote as they were moved by the Holy Spirit. In this Word, God has committed to humanity the knowledge necessary for salvation. The Holy Scriptures are the supreme, authoritative, and the infallible revelation of His will. They are the standard of character, the test of experience, the definitive revealer of doctrines, and the trustworthy record of God’s acts in history. (Psalms 119:105; Proverbs 30:5-6; Isaiah 8:20; John 17:17; 1 Thessalonians 2:13; 2 Timothy 3:16-17; Hebrews 4:12; 2 Peter 1:20-21)

18 The Gift of Prophecy

The Scriptures testify that one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit is prophecy. This gift is an identifying mark of the remnant church and we believe it was manifested in the ministry of Ellen G. White. Her writings speak with prophetic authority and provide comfort, guidance, instruction, and correction to the church. They also make clear that the Bible is the standard by which all teaching and experience must be tested. (Numbers 12:6, 2 Chronicles 20:20, Amos 3:7, Joel 2:28-29, Acts of the Apostles 2:14-21, 2 Timothy 3:16-17, Hebrews 1:1-3, Revelation 12:17, Revelation 19:10, Revelation 22:8-9)

Given the above, one can come to some reasoned conclusions on the subject of scripture vs Ellen G. White.

My own SDA history:
  • I was born and raised into the SDA church. I was baptized at age 13.
  • I left the church at age 16 because I felt something was missing in my life. Freedom of choice. A personal relationship with Jesus. I needed to come to my own conclusions.
  • I spent 30 years calling myself an agnostic. I told myself I would search for the truth, but I wasn't in any hurry.
  • As I neared my late 30's, I started to get more interested in fringe topics, frequenting conspiracy theory forums and taking in all of the information I could on the subject of the purpose of life.
  • By my mid-40's, I had vetted aliens, UFO's, ghosts, other religions, new age, flat earth and many more subjects.
  • I didn't come to an epiphany until age 46, at which time I came back to Christianity, after finding the proof I needed of God's existence and the truth of Christianity.
  • I studied the Bible and came to the conclusion that my former denomination was the closest to Biblical truth, so I started professing myself SDA again and began attending the local church.
  • Growing up, I obviously had exposure to Ellen G. White, but I was too young to read her writings and understand them. I didn't start delving into her writings until I came back to Christianity—after I made my own Biblical determination that SDA was the right place to be.
  • Ellen White was given light on a multitude of subjects (see her various books). She lived in the 1800's, in a time when information wasn't widely available and was difficult to obtain—yet she had supernatural knowledge and insight.
  • After reading quite a bit of her writings, I've come to the conclusion that she was indeed a prophet. I came to this conclusion outside of any influence from the SDA church, as I was on the periphery of any real SDA fellowship during my study.

Answering your questions:

Q: How you came to the conclusion that EGW was a prophet? What convinced you. Was it her writings?
A: Alignment with scripture. Exposition that makes sense and sheds new light on prophecy.

Q: Her claims?
A: This statement shows that you haven't read her works. If you did, you would come to the conclusion that she was a humble, righteous woman who pointed to scripture first and didn't make unfounded statements.

Q: Were you raised with it and just accepted it as fact?
A: I was raised SDA with Ellen G. White, but again, I had little knowledge of her writings as a child. It went in one ear and out the other.

Q: Did you convert and have some encounter or revelation?
A: I reconverted after finding the truth myself, after years of study.
Was she a prophet? I think she was.
  • I don't think you can look at the volume of her work (which is insane) and come to the conclusion that she had all of that knowledge in her mind.
  • The character she put forth in her writings is self-evident. She was a righteous woman who was compassionate about doing the Lord's work.
  • Her insistence on scripture first, not her own writings.
  • Her exposition on prophecy, which is coming to pass today.
Did I come to that conclusion before or after my faith?
  • Ellen G. White was not an influence on my choice to return to SDA. Scripture was. I didn't even own any of her books at the time.
  • If Ellen G. White's writings did not align with scripture, I wouldn't be professing myself as SDA, as it would be a clear affront to Biblical truth. I would be calling myself a non-denominational Christian.
This line of questioning is actually beneficial for SDA, because it tests our faith. Thank God for the truth of His word.​

If you want to delve into the heart of the matter, post specific examples and let's hash it out in detail. So far, I haven't seen any substantiation on your part.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟376,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I would agree that saying The Seventh-Day Adventist Church is false is not acceptable. But saying the people cannot disagree with any part of the doctrine of the church is wrong. That includes Ellen White. The Seventh-Day Adventist Church was founded by human beings that were fallible and made mistakes. They sat down a foundation which I think is basically correct but there are modifications and errors were made those errors were locked into place by Ellen White. By her claim to prophetic authority. This is what causes a lot of people problems in the Adventist Church when they start discovering these problems they have to reject the prophet. I would consider myself an Evangelical 7-Day Adventist and there is no badge for me there's no place for me except in this form. I still attend The Seventh-Day Adventist Church I still believe in the Sabbath and I still believe that the SDA Church has a valid purpose. But I do think adjustments need to be made to the doctrines. I think the problem is you're are you using the forum in a way it was not intended to be. From what I have observed you are a conservative or a traditionalist. That's okay but this is a place for evangelicals ,moderates, and progressive as defined by the forum

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟376,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
the question on the OP was " Is Ellen white a prophet?" that is a Yes or No. I answered NO. simple as that. you are demanding more then that. I did not ask the question. I simply answered it. since the forum is designed for questioning the 28 fundmentals, I am well with in the boundries of the rules. Demanding I do what the rules do not require of me is not any person right.

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟376,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am torn on heading into this question and how to respond. There was a part of me that wants to go deep in and detail everything out. And there's a part of me that is reluctant to do so so because I know how much time it will take and how much effort will bring. Why don't we try this. Once you ask me about a specific doctrine or specific passages of scripture and I'll tell you what I think about it. We're at similar to admin where I disagree with them on this matter or I think there's something they've used to be added.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟896,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Was Ellen White a true prophet? If not, why remain an Adventist? Did she ever make any predictions that turned out to be untrue? Were her visions authentic?

While I do place obedience to God as a necessary characteristic to receiving salvation I don’t believe that it is the acts of obedience themselves that are taken into consideration on judgement day but rather our motivation behind those acts of obedience, that motivation being our love a devotion to God and our love for others. The Pharisees proudly kept the Sabbath and the dietary laws and yet it was their pride and lack of love was the root of their sin.

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟376,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Bob, you are defining things the way you want to define them. I have only ever been an SDA. I was born into the SDA church. I was raised SDA. I attended SDA schools. I attended SDA Universities, I hold a degree SDA Theology, I have worked for the denomination as a Pastor, Evangelist, Coleporter, Dean, Missionary & Camp Counselor. I have lived in connection with 6 SDA universities, most recently PUC. I have never ceased attending the SDA church, nor have i ever dropped my membership. I well know the distinctive of the SDA church and well know what is required to define oneself as an Adventistl
What is the Minimum Requirement for belonging to the SDA church?

1. Sabbath
2. Going to heaven, before Christ returns and rules the earth.
3. Vegan, Vegetarian, Clean and Unclean foods
4, Conditional Immortality
5. Historicist view of Prophecy
6. SDA church the fulfillment of a prophecy. 1335 of Daniel 12
7. Catholic Church and the Anti-Christ
8. Church/State alliance (Protestant/Catholic) as mark of the Beast. The divine right of Kings being upheld by Christianity and a misrepresentation of God.
9. Keeping the 10 commandments and having the testimony of Jesus as a sign of God's remnant people.
10. Sabbath as Seal of God and loyaliy to God
11. Sunday-law: Force Sunday sacredness as a sign of loyality to the Church/State Alliance

You will not find that grouping in the Seventh-day Baptist church or any other group out side of Adventistism

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,109,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
MOD HAT ON

There has been a cleanup in this thread. Please be sure to adhere to the SOP of this forums while posting in this forum; and as always, Please be sure to adhere to the sitewide rules.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0