Are hot topics something that needs to be discussed in here?

• No that is between them

• Yes we should all let them discuss it here

• Don't really know, unsure

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

longhair75

Searching once more
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2004
omaha
✟179,939.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Friend Warrior Angel,

Just a few questions: Are the Anglicans posting "hot topic" issues in the threads here? How much of a problem has this been so far? If this has been a problem, could you please post a link to these objectionable posts?

Thank you for your kind attention

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟478,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Longhair, I am trying to establish rules.

I am hoping it can be a decided vote so we know where to go with the rules.

Since CF is now a 'not yet having rules in place' and each forum has their own set of rules, moderators need to know the limitations to which members can in the future post.

Do you see the relevancy?

Since the forum is rather new, like every other section we need to establish what is and is not acceptable.

SO am I being unreasonable?

Upvote 0

Colabomb

I seek sin like a moth towards flame, save me God.
Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟19,125.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think it is premature to hold a vote. Lets see how this board functions before we start prescribing things like this.

There may come a day where I may agree with you Warrior, but as for now, I don't know how this is going to play out. I'd rather think the best of people, and address a problem should it arise, than silencing topics that may not even be a problem.

Anyway, the only Pro-Women's ordination posters on the board, LongHair, Paladin, and myself have not even brought the subject up, yet it is being treated as something that must be nipped in the bud.

So far there is no bud.

And anyway, I would hope that we could discuss something like that with the civility becoming of Christians. `

And what of other controversies? Should we not let the Roman Catholics discuss the papacy, as it is controversial and rejected by the rest of the board? Should we not allow the Orthodox and Catholics discuss Headcoverings, which is an internal battle between Traditionalists and modernists? Should we not allow the Orthodox to discuss Soteriology, as they are in the minority?

Lets let the board evolve, and only address a problem when there actually is one.

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟36,557.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm tempted to say that we should allow whatever controversial topics people want to bring up, because I have no trouble discussing the papacy in here, or the exclusivity of Rome as the One True Church... I also have no problem with Anglicans who bring up said controversies having them be denounced by the rest of Christendom.

Of course maybe I'm just a bit of a rabble rouser as well ;)

Upvote 0

karen freeinchristman

More of You and less of me, Lord!
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Should the Anglicans discuss hot topics in this forum such as women priest, gay married clergy and such?

I want this to be fair, so I am asking.
Well, I'd rather discuss priests that aren't allowed to be married at all, or maybe pedophile priests. ;)

Actually maybe my presence in this forum is too controversial for some to bear, as I am an ordinand. Maybe I shouldn't even be allowed to post here?

Seriously, I would not even have dreamed of bringing up in this forum the topics you've listed.

Upvote 0

Colabomb

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟19,125.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, I'd rather discuss priests that aren't allowed to be married at all, or maybe pedophile priests. ;)

Actually maybe my presence in this forum is too controversial for some to bear, as I am an ordinand. Maybe I shouldn't even be allowed to post here?

Seriously, I would not even have dreamed of bringing up in this forum the topics you've listed.

I would welcome you here sister, even if I was against your ordination.

Upvote 0

longhair75

Searching once more
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2004
omaha
✟179,939.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Longhair, I am trying to establish rules.

I am hoping it can be a decided vote so we know where to go with the rules.

Since CF is now a 'not yet having rules in place' and each forum has their own set of rules, moderators need to know the limitations to which members can in the future post.

Do you see the relevancy?

Since the forum is rather new, like every other section we need to establish what is and is not acceptable.

SO am I being unreasonable?
Friend Warrior Angel
What it appears that you are doing is establishing rules limiting the participation of the Anglicans to suit your own opinion of the Anglican Communion. So far, I have read nothing controversial at all from my Anglican brothers and sisters.

It appears that you are judging Anglicans in advance based upon your fears rather than the actual behaviour of the Anglicans so far.

There is a word for this:

prej·u·dice –noun
1. an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason.
2. any preconceived opinion or feeling, either favorable or unfavorable.
3. unreasonable feelings, opinions, or attitudes, esp. of a hostile nature, regarding a racial, religious, or national group.
4. such attitudes considered collectively: The war against prejudice is never-ending.
5. damage or injury; detriment: a law that operated to the prejudice of the majority.

–verb (used with object)

6. to affect with a prejudice, either favorable or unfavorable: His honesty and sincerity prejudiced us in his favor.

Upvote 0

Colabomb

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟19,125.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I would also like to point out that there has been no uproar about the potential infighting between Sedevacantist and Vatican 2 Catholics, or between Utrecht and non Utrecht Old Catholics.

For some reason, we seem to be the center of attention around here, and it does not make me very comfortable.

Why are we the ones you are afraid of getting trouble from?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Simon_Templar

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟36,557.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I would also like to point out that there has been no uproar about the potential infighting between Sedevacantist and Vatican 2 Catholics, or between Utrecht and non Utrecht Old Catholics.

For some reason, we seem to be the center of attention around here, and it does not make me very comfortable.

Why are we the ones you are afraid of getting trouble from?
There is something to be said for the fact that the squeeky wheel gets the grease.

When I go into OBOB, I occasionally see some disagreement between pro and con vatican II. It is however by comparison mild and sporadic compared to the daily meat grinder of the current unpleasentness within the AC.

As for OC's utrecht or non.. I've been in the OC forum (since its our forum as well) for going on 2 years and I've never seen a single debate on it so, probably not that much of an issue.

Upvote 0

kamikat

my love is bigger than a cadillac
Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
✟18,459.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If we are trying to establish rules, I think a better way to get the same idea across would be to establish this forum as an interdenominational discussion forum, rather than an intradenominational discussion forum. All intradenominational discussions should take place within the congregational forum. Think of it as not airing your dirty laundry in front of outsiders. I wouldn't want to see EO members come here and debate each other about tollhouses, either. However, I don't know how we can eliminate that without stifling discussion. If someone from another church asks about a hot topic issue, and two different people answer with two different answers, how does the discussion continue?

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟36,557.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
If we are trying to establish rules, I think a better way to get the same idea across would be to establish this forum as an interdenominational discussion forum, rather than an intradenominational discussion forum. All intradenominational discussions should take place within the congregational forum. Think of it as not airing your dirty laundry in front of outsiders. I wouldn't want to see EO members come here and debate each other about tollhouses, either. However, I don't know how we can eliminate that without stifling discussion. If someone from another church asks about a hot topic issue, and two different people answer with two different answers, how does the discussion continue?
I dunno, I'm all for not hearing conversations on women's ordination or homosexuality... I'm all for not hearing them in the Anglican forum as well, because I've heard them a thousand times already, and I've heard every view point there is supporting them and I've said everything I have to say...

However, I don't know that its necessary to place that restriction here. First, I think few of the Anglicans on the boards here would be in a big hurry to bring those issues in here because I think most know that they wouldn't find many, if any agreeing voices.
Secondly, I hope that this place can become a forum for exploration, as much as dialog. Personally I'd like to hear about Tollhouses, because other than cookies, I've never heard anything about them. I don't mind discussing the Pope with Catholics etc.

I think the issue is just wether or not it becomes a tiresome and constant rehashing of the same stupid stuff over and over. While I don't mind discussing the pope, if EVERY conversation in here ends up being about the Pope, I'm going to get sick of it pretty fast.

Upvote 0

April Angel

Jul 13, 2007
London
✟17,063.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
How about starting a vote about whether the catholics or orthodox should be permitted to discuss the evils of artificial contraception here? I have no doubt that some Anglicans would find such topics offensive.

And what about discussions by Roman Catholics on alleged apparitions such as Medjugorje?* (This one in particular not having been accepted by the Vatican, yet.)

*The recommended 3 day a week fast caused one of my elderly relatives to develop diverticulitis.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟478,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I dont mind controversial issues ppl have with the Church...

But if someone wants them..so be it.

This is a vote, so have the vote. Lets try to avoid personal criticisms and attacks.

Have your voices heard by vote.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

longhair75

Searching once more
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2004
omaha
✟179,939.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'd say generally, we probably wouldn't want any of the denominations airing their "dirty laundry" in this forum.
I withdraw this comment and apologize to friend nyj for mischaracterizing his comment.

Upvote 0

Colabomb

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟19,125.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

You do realize there is a fairly large subgroup of Catholics calling for the Ordination of women Correct?

I agree this should not be a place of intrAdenominational debate. However these specific topics you mention are not unique to our denomination, only more prevalent.

There can be intERdenmoniational debate on these subjects.

Upvote 0

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
you might notice if you read through the threads carefully, (and with just a touch of objectivity) that the bulk of the discussion on the "hot topic" issues is not being posted by the Anglicans.......
I didn't say word one about Anglican specific issues. Did I? ;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.