Video shows California police fatally shooting teenager who was reported kidnapped

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟498,339.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Sheriff’s officials claimed following the shooting that it was unclear whether Savannah was shot by deputies or her father, and they said deputies didn’t realize it was her when she got out of the car. For nearly two years, they refused to release footage of the shooting.

But on Friday, the department disclosed nearly a dozen video files to the independent journalist Joey Scott, who filed records requests 18 months prior. The clips – which were shared with the Guardian and include helicopter footage – show deputies shooting at Savannah as she followed their instructions to move toward them. The videos also suggest deputies shot her after two officers remarked that it was the girl who exited. The footage, and the sheriff’s narration of the video, further make clear she was killed by deputies, not her father.

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟248,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
This was horrifying. Everyone of those cops that fired should be charged with murder. Not negligent homicide. Murder. The chief should be fired and charge with obstruction for lying and covering up what really happened. They had this footage for 2 years. They knew their narrative was a lie.

• Agree
Reactions: Elliewaves
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟498,339.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
This was horrifying. Everyone of those cops that fired should be charged with murder. Not negligent homicide. Murder. The chief should be fired and charge with obstruction for lying and covering up what really happened. They had this footage for 2 years. They knew their narrative was a lie.
Charge all cops who didn't shot too, for covering up the murder. They knew what happened.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟842,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I remember when it happened. She was also faulted for 'running' toward the police, which also isn't true.

From 2022 (i.e. the story the SB Sheriffs were going with):

UPDATE: Teenage daughter of murder suspect is believed to have been a 'participant' in shooting at deputies prior to her death​

San Bernardino County Sheriff Shannon Dicus said at a press conference on Sept. 27 that his department was looking into the possibility that the teenage girl, along with her father, was shooting at deputies during the incident.

Then on Sept. 28, Dicus released a video message which said that the county's specialized detectives processed the scene throughout the previous night and reported their findings to the chief.

"Based on the information, evidence suggests that Savanna Graziano was a participant in shooting at our deputies," Dicus said.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟567,838.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I was ready to be pretty mad about this one until I saw the video, and now I'm a bit sympathetic towards the cop who shot (though I'll concede I haven't heard the audio from on the ground). There was a lot going on, quickly. The dad had been shooting at them, and the cop ducking behind the truck saw a figure in body armor coming at him.

Anybody who tried to cover this up ought to be crucified, though.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,209,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Anybody who tried to cover this up ought to be crucified, though.
They will be, if by crucified you mean given a paid suspension or fired in good standing with another jurisdiction hiring them immediately there after. If they’re close to retirement that’s an option too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟923,087.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
They will be, if by crucified you mean given a paid suspension or fired in good standing with another jurisdiction hiring them immediately there after. If they’re close to retirement that’s an option too.
Retirement I do not begrudge them. I still think they should be held accountable. Getting a little tired of the government killing citizens and not getting called to the carpet.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,209,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Retirement I do not begrudge them. I still think they should be held accountable. Getting a little tired of the government killing citizens and not getting called to the carpet.
If their retirement was on the line, either individually or collectively with settlements taken from the pension fund, we would see a great deal less of this.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟923,087.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
If their retirement was on the line, either individually or collectively with settlements taken from the pension fund, we would see a great deal less of this.
We signed a contract with them. Us acting poorly in response to their poor actions nets no one any good. Going after a persons retirement is to low for me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,209,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
We signed a contract with them.

Which needs to be changed, drastically.

Us acting poorly in response to their poor actions nets no one any good. Going after a persons retirement is to low for me.
Any civilian or business could expect ruinous repercussions from a negligent homicide they are responsible for, we should not hold law enforcement to lower standards where others (read taxpayers) pay the price for them. That’s how we get the government killings you’re tired of.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟498,339.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
We signed a contract with them.
Is that the contract where they don't actually have to "protect and serve"? Or the one where only people below a certain IQ threshold are allowed to sign?

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟923,087.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Which needs to be changed, drastically.
Perhaps
Any civilian or business could expect ruinous repercussions from a negligent homicide they are responsible for, we should not hold law enforcement to lower standards where others (read taxpayers) pay the price for them. That’s how we get the government killings you’re tired of.
They should expect the dispassionate dispensation of justice, just like everyone else. That they do not do so currently should be corrected. What we must not do is surrender to undue passion in the name of punishment. It never ends well.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟923,087.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Is that the contract where they don't actually have to "protect and serve"? Or the one where only people below a certain IQ threshold are allowed to sign?
That is the one where we agreed to match their contributions to fund a good retirement. Or should the government go after the retirement savings of people who commit crimes?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,209,513.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
They should expect the dispassionate dispensation of justice, just like everyone else. That they do not do so currently should be corrected.
Which making them responsible for the settlements their killings incur would do.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟498,339.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
That is the one where we agreed to match their contributions to fund a good retirement. Or should the government go after the retirement savings of people who commit crimes?
I think that retirement savings above a certain level neccessary for basic living expenses should be used to pay for criminal fines and the like and should not be exempt. Why shouldn't they be? What makes these kinds of savings so special that someone can commit crimes with impunity and not lose them?

When a retired person speeds, should they not have to pay their speeding ticket, just because the money comes out of their retirement money? This makes no sense.

Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0