New Jersey
✟340,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I've heard of some anti-semitism burbling to the surface here in the US recently, including from some Christians, though I haven't heard it associated with clergy. I haven't studied Dr. Sizer's particular case, so I can't really comment on it, but in the broader picture, it's good for the church to be taking a firm stand against anti-semitism, making it clear that this is not something the church endorses.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,518,980.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Oh, I agree that it's good that it's taken seriously. It's just... I think for example of someone I know, who ended his marriage by having an affair with someone in the congregation. He was out of ministry for, I think about five years? I wonder about the apparent relative seriousness with which these things were taken.

Then again, the fact that it was an external, Jewish organisation pushing for this person to be dealt with might go some way to explaining it? Or perhaps disciplinary measures are typically harsher in England? I don't know.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟577,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
It's difficult to find a balance in American culture. Zionism is so embedded in American evangelicalism that an intelligent discussion of foreign policy or the NT Scriptures is unlikely to occur. Anything less than total affirmation of their position is branded anti-Semitism.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟492,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I've heard of some anti-semitism burbling to the surface here in the US recently, including from some Christians, though I haven't heard it associated with clergy. I haven't studied Dr. Sizer's particular case, so I can't really comment on it, but in the broader picture, it's good for the church to be taking a firm stand against anti-semitism, making it clear that this is not something the church endorses.

The tribunal found Rev. Sizer linked to an article which blamed 9/11 on the Jews, in addition to other social media posts of an anti-Semitic character, so clearly the actions of the tribunal were entirely justified.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟974,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Here is a link to Robert Sitzer's response to allegations for anyone that cares to read his 60-page response.

I have mixed feelings. I am all in favor of the Church weeding out clergy when necessary in defense of the faith. Charging someone for linking to an article without endorsement (as I have done in this thread) seems a bit thin to me, so I hope the tribunal made a solid and just finding in review of the evidence.

But as Shane pointed out, Zionism is well embedded in American evangelical culture making it tough to find a balance. Make criticisms, supported or not, of Afghanistan, China, Russia, Ukraine or any of 194 of 195 countries in the world? Fair game. Criticize Israel? Oh, no you can't do that.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟492,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Here is a link to Robert Sitzer's response to allegations for anyone that cares to read his 60-page response.

I have mixed feelings. I am all in favor of the Church weeding out clergy when necessary in defense of the faith. Charging someone for linking to an article without endorsement (as I have done in this thread) seems a bit thin to me, so I hope the tribunal made a solid and just finding in review of the evidence.

But as Shane pointed out, Zionism is well embedded in American evangelical culture making it tough to find a balance. Make criticisms, supported or not, of Afghanistan, China, Russia, Ukraine or any of 194 of 195 countries in the world? Fair game. Criticize Israel? Oh, no you can't do that.

The priest in question was Church of England, by the way.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟731,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
@eleos1954, in answer to your question, no. The Anglican communion is separate from the Catholic church.
Thanks for the reply .... do have another question, doing google searches and they do not provide where the information is coming from

Is this a true or false statement.

Anglicans believe that the Roman Catholic Church is a true, Christian Church.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,518,980.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Is this a true or false statement.

Anglicans believe that the Roman Catholic Church is a true, Christian Church.
From an Anglican point of view, it is a true church, but has some errors of teaching and practice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟731,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
From an Anglican point of view, it is a true church, but has some errors of teaching and practice.
How can "a church" be a true church when it has errors of teaching and practice?

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟577,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
There are evangelical Anglicans who still find the descriptor 'harlot of Babylon' useful in discussing the Roman Catholic Church. They tend to also be the folk who want to shoe-horn the 39 Articles of Religion into being a confessional statement.

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Naomi4Christ

not a nutter
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2005
✟269,225.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I know Stephen reasonably well, but never in the context of anti-semitism. I have always found him very helpful with expository teaching.

The article posted is not particularly accurate. VW is not in the diocese of Winchester - it's in Guildford. In fact, one of Bishop Andrew's first actions as a new bishop was to suspend Stephen.

• Informative
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,518,980.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
How can "a church" be a true church when it has errors of teaching and practice?
Anglicanism has never articulated an ecclesiology which expects inerrancy or infallibility. The statement I am particularly thinking of is Article 19 of the 39 Articles, and it says:

"The visible Church of Christ is a congregation of faithful men, in which the pure Word of God is preached, and the Sacraments be duly ministered according to Christ’s ordinance, in all those things that of necessity are requisite to the same.

As the Church of Jerusalem, Alexandria, and Antioch, have erred, so also the Church of Rome hath erred, not only in their living and manner of Ceremonies, but also in matters of Faith."

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟731,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Anglicanism has never articulated an ecclesiology which expects inerrancy or infallibility. The statement I am particularly thinking of is Article 19 of the 39 Articles, and it says:

"The visible Church of Christ is a congregation of faithful men, in which the pure Word of God is preached, and the Sacraments be duly ministered according to Christ’s ordinance, in all those things that of necessity are requisite to the same.

As the Church of Jerusalem, Alexandria, and Antioch, have erred, so also the Church of Rome hath erred, not only in their living and manner of Ceremonies, but also in matters of Faith."
so is there a visible and a invisible church?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,518,980.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
so is there a visible and a invisible church?
I think that would be a common way of expressing the relationship between the spiritual reality of the church, and the various institutions in and through which that spiritual reality is expressed.

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

Deegie

Priest of the Church
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2011
✟440,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If that's the case, then I'm afraid there wouldn't be any churches at all.

Upvote 0