WI
✟159,085.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A German car company's employees filed to join the United Auto Workers union. I am pro-union, as people need to be payed a fair wage, especially when everything is expensive nowadays. Yes, this article is from March 2024, so it is a little old, but hey, unions are important. By the way, I am somewhat new here when it comes to posting in the news forum, besides summarizing articles posted by @essentialsaltes , @Kokavkrystallos and @Vambram to help CF users bypass pesky paywalls (ahem, Washington Post & New York Times). Also, not everyone responding here fully reads the articles, so my summaries try to make it easier for folks who are short on time to read the articles. At least The Guardian has no paywalls, so I am tempted to give a buck to the Guardian for being so nice. :) Source: US Volkswagen workers file for union election to join United Auto Workers

Here is the article's summary:

Michael Sainato's article, published on March 18, 2024, reports that Volkswagen workers at the company's plant in Chattanooga, Tennessee, have filed a petition to join the United Auto Workers (UAW) union. This comes after a supermajority of workers at the plant signed union authorization cards, marking the first union election filing for UAW in its campaign to organize 150,000 workers at non-unionized auto plants in the US.

Isaac Meadows, a production team member in assembly at Volkswagen's Chattanooga plant, expressed his excitement about the potential for better working conditions and work-life balance through union representation. The UAW has yet to achieve union representation at the Chattanooga plant, which is currently the only Volkswagen facility globally without a union presence.

The UAW has faced resistance in its attempts to organize at this plant in the past, including unfair labor practice charges against Volkswagen for alleged union busting. In early February 2024, the union announced that over 50% of the 4,000 workers in the bargaining unit had signed union authorization cards. The UAW has also made progress at other plants, including Mercedes-Benz in Alabama, Hyundai in Alabama, and Toyota in Missouri.

Volkswagen responded to the union election petition with a statement expressing respect for workers' right to determine their representation and promising to support a National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) vote on the matter. The company also emphasized its commitment to providing high-paying jobs in Chattanooga.

Zach Costello, a worker at the VW plant in Chattanooga since 2017, shared his perspective on the importance of union representation for workers' freedom and democratic life. The current campaign to organize at the Chattanooga plant has already faced opposition from anti-union organizations and Republican elected officials.

Last edited: