Twisted Scripture, why study is crucial to comprehension, part 1.

Bob corrigan

May 3, 2022
San Antonio
✟30,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Divorced
Scripture indeed explains Scripture, especially in the area of theology. But some parts of Scripture aren't explained, things our culture doesn't understand. To the people who lived as Jews, in the Jewish culture, the things written or said were understood by the Jewish people because what was written or said was presented from the Jewish culture, Jewish history, and Jewish theology. When Jesus said, "The eye is the lamp of the body..."(Mat 6:22), the Jews listening to him knew exactly what he meant. Nobody from the crowd said, "Uh, wait, what does that mean?" This was a Jewish metaphor familiar to the Jewish people.
When we read this in our English translations, this is confusing. We don't know what this means. It is not a recognized phrase, and we have nothing in our culture that allows us to make a connection. However, since this was something Jesus said, we who seek Scripture truth understand that we need to find out what Jesus meant. It is essential to know the meaning.
The average churchgoer depends on the "pastor" to explain what things in Scripture mean. Even those who do a little study for themselves will still rely on that the "pastor" has spent far more time in study and should know much more than someone in the pew. Part-time study only allows for a bit of learning over a long period.
Culture determines what words mean. If I was talking to another guy about an incident I had with another man, I might say something like,
"Man, that dude so dissed me, I wanted to get up in his grill. I was so P.O! I knew I had two courses of action. I could open a can of whoop ass on him or boogie to my crib and chill out."
The average American knows exactly what I said. If I spoke or wrote these exact words in a foreign language, that foreigner, with a different language and culture, would not have any understanding of what I said. When translating one language into another, you always encounter the problem of syntax. Every language has its own syntax. The syntax is a set of rules determining how words are arranged in a sentence. When one language is translated into another, the second translators will always strive to translate using the syntax of the second language so that things can be read in the second language. But this leads to problems. The original meaning is lost in the second language by using a different syntax in translation. We have many occurrences of this in our English translations. Even if a foreigner were to learn English as a second language but were unfamiliar with American culture, he would still not understand what I had said.
When we read, "The eye is the lamp of the body," it was a Jewish way to say a person is generous. To have an "evil eye" means a person is greedy. While we might not grasp the whole scope of what Jesus meant, we will know the basic meaning and be able to understand that Jesus was speaking about being generous.
Being a preacher is, without a doubt, a calling by God. It is not a career choice or following a family tradition. God creates a man to be a preacher. He gives him the intellect, ability to reason and use logic, and tenacity. While a man with other employment will spend 8-10 hours daily performing his duties, a preacher will spend 8-12 hours studying Scripture. A faithful preacher will have a burning, insatiable desire to learn as much as he can about Scripture and pass on what he has learned to others eager to hear. A preacher will never come to a point and believe, "Well, I've learned everything I can from Scripture."
When a preacher comes across something in Scripture that he doesn't understand and is aware that those he is teaching will also not understand, he is determined to find out what it means. Because he knows, and takes very seriously, the knowledge that others are counting on him to present the truth of Scripture.
When I first came across "The eye is the lamp of the body," I was clueless! I didn't know what it meant! I had to make a choice. I could try to figure it out based on my culture, life experience, English language, and vocabulary. I could practice private interpretation (2Pet 1:20) and make something up, or I could check my references and bible study tools created by others who have more knowledge than I do. There is nothing wrong with not knowing something, admitting you don't know something, and recognizing that you must learn from others. You have got to have this mindset when you study Scripture. And that is precisely what I did. If I encounter a word I am unfamiliar with, I look it up in a dictionary. If I want to learn more about a person or country, I go to an encyclopedia, as we all do. If you want to build something you have never made before, do you begin the project without the knowledge, or do you buy some magazines or a book?

Okay, now a practical demonstration, using the book, The Manners and Customs of Bible Times by Ralph Gower. This book was first published in 1953. This book has been available for any "pastor" to purchase and use for over 69 years.

A verse that has been subjected to an ongoing debate for many years is Heb 13:2,
"Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing so, some have entertained angels without knowing it."
The debate centers around whether the word "angels" means spirit beings or pastors, as the term is used to describe both. So, we go to the book's section on hospitality and see that Mr. Gower wrote under the heading, Angels unaware. "The Jews believed that God sometimes sent angels in disguise to test whether people obeyed the law of hospitality. They knew that this had happened to Abraham (Gen 18:2-13) and Gideon (Judges 6:17-22), and they believed therefore that the same thing might happen to them..."

Three things to note here. We now know what Hebrews 13:2 means by angels, which ends any debate. But more important to grasp. Mr. Gower wrote that the Jews "believed" this to be true, not that this was true. Other times, an angel visited people (Num 22:21-23, Judges, chapter 13). Nowhere in these three accounts is anything expressed as "God sending angels to see if these people were practicing the law of hospitality!" They appeared to deliver a message from Jehovah. Nowhere in the Tanaka does Adonai determine that He would test the Jews to see if they were following the law of hospitality.
2. At some point in time before the days of Jesus, someone, probably a Pharisee, made up this "teaching" and began teaching it. Others, who agreed with this false teaching, also began to teach it, and over time, it became a part of the "oral law." Over time, this "Tradition of Men" became fully ingrained in the minds of the Jewish people. We see another example in Acts 10:28. God had never declared this in the Tanaka! But, somewhere in time, a Pharisee added this to the "oral law," Again, the Jews believed something to be scriptural when it was not. Two more examples of the power of tradition.
3. Something that the "pastors" have never learned is there are places in the N.T. that describe what the Jews "believed" but were not true. In John 5:1-9, there is no doubt that verse 4 was added by someone who felt the need for an explanation. The teaching that an angel would stir up the water... comes straight from paganism! Every healing in all of Scripture is always God, through one person, would heal another. The main problem with verse 4 is that it is written as if this was an actual event, that an angel would heal the first one into the water by stirring up the water. Show me one time when an angel ever healed a human! While angels are very powerful, they don't have the gift of healing.
Believers know that there is no such thing as a ghost. Yet twice, the Apostles' thought Jesus was a ghost. (Mat 14:26, Lk 24:36-37) Jesus gave the parable, Lk 16:19-31, based on what the Jews believed. He was not telling a "true story, a factual account."

In John 10:11-13, Jesus mentions the "hireling." It is easy to deduce from the word alone that it is a person hired to do something. But since this word is only used in these verses in the entire N.T. It must have some significance. In Mr. Gower's book, he has a section titled, "A shepherd's task." '...Not accidentally, Jesus said that the Good Shepherd had to give his life for the sheep (John 10:11). The shepherd had to fight back (my insertion, when a predator, a wild animal, tried to snatch a sheep) because he had to make good any losses to the owners (Gen 31:39; Exodus 22:10-13). Any hired help the shepherd might have used did not have the same commitment.
Doesn't this little information give a fuller meaning to what Jesus said? Doesn't it increase your depth of understanding? Isn't this an obligation of "pastors" to provide the background of a passage? So those listening get the full impact and significance of a passage? So the listeners understand what something in Scripture means? Did you notice that Mr. Gower cited O.T. verses to validate what he wrote?
All Jewish people who heard Jesus speak these words knew precisely what Jesus was talking about. They knew the background from their own life, living in Jewish culture. (Incidentally, if you read John 10 from verse one to verse ten, it is straightforward to see that when Jesus talks about the "thief" in verse ten, he is talking about false teachers, not Satan!) Those of us Gentiles who have never been a shepherd, have never known a shepherd, or are not familiar with what it means to be a shepherd, upon reading the tenth chapter of John, have to learn what the things mean in the chapter. Everything Jesus said or taught was based on the Torah, Jewish culture, Jewish life, Jewish history, the current social environment of life in those days and how the different cultures operated, Roman law, the political scene, and the paganism of the other Gentile peoples that impacted the Jewish people. Paul taught in the same way!

In another book titled, The New (New meaning updated) Manners and Customs of the Bible, written by James W. Freeman, we find a different approach to helping people understand the meaning of Scripture. He goes through every book in Scripture, and he explains the other verses in each book that Gentile readers do not understand. He gives the historical and Jewish cultural meaning to the verses.
In another book titled, A Hebrew Understanding Of The Difficult Passages In The Bible, written by Dr. Roy Blizzard Jr., Ph.D., you will read,"...In Hebrew idiomatic language, "hearing" does not simply refer to passive listening, it also implies understanding and discernment...Hearing in this sense was not simply the auditory perception of sound; it implied hearing and discernment of what they had heard could be understood and acted upon." If I may, to a Jewish person, to "hear" also meant to obey what was said. You can then apply this understanding when you read the times that Jesus said, "He who has ears, let him hear," Mat 11:15, 13:9, 43, Lk 8:8, 14:35. Or when Jesus said, "Let these words sink into your ears, Lk 9:44. To the Jewish people, when you hear God's word, you obey God's word! This same concept equally applies to Gentile believers. Another tidbit, whenever Jesus spoke the words, "Follow me," to certain individuals, he was not giving an invitation. He wasn't asking for or allowing these people to follow him. Every time he said those words to certain individuals, it was in the imperative mood; it was a command! And as sheep, those people had to obey the command of their master. We see Peter and Andrew in Mat 4:18-20, and Matthew, Mat 9:9, immediately stopped what they were doing, dropped everything, and went with Jesus. None of the three said to Jesus, "Uh, okay, but let me get someone to cover me, or I need to make arrangements." Matthew walked away from a lucrative position, a position that provided him with a "good life" in those days. Matthew walked away from the things of the world to follow Jesus. There is no indication in Scripture or tradition that Matthew ever returned to being a tax collector.

End of part 1.

Reactions: Terri Dactyl

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For me you are correct in some things yet its looking trying to understand spiritual things by the natural man. This is not the real realm. We put on the new man which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness. :) So many walk by what they feel see where its written we walk by faith not sight. Angel stirred the water.. hello that is written. Now the "healing" saying angels did it. Sorry your the 1st one I heard of in 61 years say that. They did stir the water and the rest is written. They never once said they healed. Like saying Peter and John healed that man.. they all saw it. Yet they said why look at us as if we healed this man by our own power. Its that name faith in that name healed this man.

So Angels do so much more.. yet most will never see for they do not believe. Doubt stops God ever time. Again looking at this with physical eyes not spiritual eyes you/we will never see. See the good 1st.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟287,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
When I first came across "The eye is the lamp of the body," I was clueless! I didn't know what it meant! I had to make a choice. I could try to figure it out based on my culture, life experience, English language, and vocabulary. I could practice private interpretation (2Pet 1:20) and make something up, or I could check my references and bible study tools created by others who have more knowledge than I do. There is nothing wrong with not knowing something, admitting you don't know something, and recognizing that you must learn from others. You have got to have this mindset when you study Scripture. And that is precisely what I did. If I encounter a word I am unfamiliar with, I look it up in a dictionary. If I want to learn more about a person or country, I go to an encyclopedia, as we all do. If you want to build something you have never made before, do you begin the project without the knowledge, or do you buy some magazines or a book?

In 2 Peter 1:20, it does not speak against private interpretation, but rather it just says that prophecy does not come from private interpretation. Private interpretation is not just making something up and looking up the private interpretation of an expert who has more knowledge than us does not avoid the use of private interpretation.

A verse that has been subjected to an ongoing debate for many years is Heb 13:2,
"Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing so, some have entertained angels without knowing it."
The debate centers around whether the word "angels" means spirit beings or pastors, as the term is used to describe both. So, we go to the book's section on hospitality and see that Mr. Gower wrote under the heading, Angels unaware. "The Jews believed that God sometimes sent angels in disguise to test whether people obeyed the law of hospitality. They knew that this had happened to Abraham (Gen 18:2-13) and Gideon (Judges 6:17-22), and they believed therefore that the same thing might happen to them..."

Three things to note here. We now know what Hebrews 13:2 means by angels, which ends any debate. But more important to grasp. Mr. Gower wrote that the Jews "believed" this to be true, not that this was true. Other times, an angel visited people (Num 22:21-23, Judges, chapter 13). Nowhere in these three accounts is anything expressed as "God sending angels to see if these people were practicing the law of hospitality!" They appeared to deliver a message from Jehovah. Nowhere in the Tanaka does Adonai determine that He would test the Jews to see if they were following the law of hospitality.

2. At some point in time before the days of Jesus, someone, probably a Pharisee, made up this "teaching" and began teaching it. Others, who agreed with this false teaching, also began to teach it, and over time, it became a part of the "oral law." Over time, this "Tradition of Men" became fully ingrained in the minds of the Jewish people. We see another example in Acts 10:28. God had never declared this in the Tanaka! But, somewhere in time, a Pharisee added this to the "oral law," Again, the Jews believed something to be scriptural when it was not. Two more examples of the power of tradition.

Perhaps it is possible that someone made something up and everyone went along with it, but that is not a satisfactory explanation that we should stop at without trying to dig further into why people believe something. There are a number of strange things that are said in the Talmud, but if you dig deeper there is always a reason for why they said that, so it is not just things that they made up. We are free to agree or disagree with whether it is a good reason, but saying that they just made it up is a poor explanation. There is a reason why Jews believed that God sometimes sent angels in disguise to test people, and Hebrews 13:2 confirms that this is true. In Deuteronomy 17:8-13, it gives authority to priests and judges to make rulings for the community in regard to how to correctly obey the Torah, and these rulings have been passed down as precedent, so that forms the basis of the oral law, which again is not just making things up.

In Genesis 26:5, Abraham heard God's voice and guarded His charge, His commandments, His statutes, and His laws, but it does not go into details about the exact content of these instructions, and in Luke 24:27, beginning with Moses and the Prophets, Jesus interpreted to them in all of the Scriptures the things concerning himself, and in John 21:25, Jesus did many other things and if every one of them was written down, he supposes that the world could not contain the books that would be written, so we know that there is more that could be taught than the details that are recorded in the Bible, and just because the Bible does not say something does not mean that it was made up or that it is not true.

3. Something that the "pastors" have never learned is there are places in the N.T. that describe what the Jews "believed" but were not true. In John 5:1-9, there is no doubt that verse 4 was added by someone who felt the need for an explanation. The teaching that an angel would stir up the water... comes straight from paganism! Every healing in all of Scripture is always God, through one person, would heal another. The main problem with verse 4 is that it is written as if this was an actual event, that an angel would heal the first one into the water by stirring up the water. Show me one time when an angel ever healed a human! While angels are very powerful, they don't have the gift of healing.

Do you have a source that it comes straight out of paganism? There are instances where people were healed or cleansed indirection, so even if every healing in Scripture were from one person to another, then that would not mean that we should conclude therefore that is the only possible means by which people are healed. For example, in 2 Kings 5:14, Naaman was cleansed after dipping seven times in the Jordan. In John 9:6-11, the person's eyes were healed after they washed. In Luke 7:1-10, Jesus healed the servant of the centurion just by saying the word. Outside of John 5:1-8, while the Bible does not state that angels can heal us, it also does not state that angels don't have the gift of healing.

Believers know that there is no such thing as a ghost. Yet twice, the Apostles' thought Jesus was a ghost. (Mat 14:26, Lk 24:36-37) Jesus gave the parable, Lk 16:19-31, based on what the Jews believed. He was not telling a "true story, a factual account."

Deuteronomy 18:10-11 There shall not be found among you anyone who burns his son or his daughter as an offering, anyone who practices divination or tells fortunes or interprets omens, or a sorcerer 11 or a charmer or a medium or a necromancer or one who inquires of the dead,

It might be the case that it is possible to do these things, but that they were prohibited, or it might be the case that it is not possible to do these things and that it is prohibited to pretend to do them, but that is a matter of private interpretation. Likewise, it is a private interpretation whether people actually saw angels or whether it was just a vision, or a private interpretation of how the disciples understood what they saw. In addition, it is a private interpretation that Jesus was not giving factual information in Luke 16:19-31.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟928,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Scripture indeed explains Scripture, especially in the area of theology.

Which is why exegesis is so important and why sola-tradition failed to spectacularly in Mark 7:6-13 as Christ pointed out.

But some parts of Scripture aren't explained, things our culture doesn't understand. To the people who lived as Jews, in the Jewish culture, the things written or said were understood by the Jewish people because what was written or said was presented from the Jewish culture, Jewish history, and Jewish theology. When Jesus said, "The eye is the lamp of the body..."(Mat 6:22), the Jews listening to him knew exactly what he meant. Nobody from the crowd said, "Uh, wait, what does that mean?" This was a Jewish metaphor familiar to the Jewish people.

True. A lot of the context that exegesis requires was well-known to them and easily understood. Yet even then as Christ points out in Mark 7 - they were making huge blunders as tradition after tradition was brought in that actually undercut scripture.

Okay, now a practical demonstration, using the book, The Manners and Customs of Bible Times by Ralph Gower. This book was first published in 1953. This book has been available for any "pastor" to purchase and use for over 69 years.

Good point when he said "for by doing so, some have entertained angels without knowing it" he knew that Hebrew readers would know of some OT history where that very thing happened with Lot and with Abraham.

Upvote 0