Veteran
Jun 27, 2006
Sydney
✟17,627.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hi, I'd like some help trying to understand The Book of Job and some apparent contradictions that appear (in my mind), the Old Testament generally is difficult to read so I'd like some advice and insight from people who have a good grasp of it.

7 The LORD said to Satan, "Whence have you come?" Satan answered the LORD, "From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking up and down on it." 8 And the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, who fears God and turns away from evil?" 9 Then Satan answered the LORD, "Does Job fear God for nought? 10 Hast thou not put a hedge about him and his house and all that he has, on every side? Thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land. 11 But put forth thy hand now, and touch all that he has, and he will curse thee to thy face." 12 And the LORD said to Satan, "Behold, all that he has is in your power; only upon himself do not put forth your hand." So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD.
(Job 1:7-9; RSV-CE)

I find it hard to understand how God is just having a casual chat with Satan, almost like "where have you been son?"

1) If God is omniscient, why would he need to test Job's faithfulness?
2) Why is he taking on a dare from Satan? Does he really need to prove anything to Satan?
3) This discourse Satan has with God, and the one he has with God later in afflicting Job with sores (Job 2:3-6) seems awfully a lot to me like Satan has deceived God, almost like a friend with a dare saying "oh go on, you know you want to do it", and thus getting him to do what he wants. After all Satan would have had pleasure in tormenting Job would he not?
4) Satan knows God is omniscient presumably, and that he will not lie. All God would have to do is say, if I test Job he would stand fast to his faith, there is no reason for me to prove it to you, my word is enough, be gone.
5) Why does God say: "Behold, he is in your power; only spare his life" (Job 2:6) - does anyone dare trust Satan with anything? Furthermore if he's omniscient he would know whether Satan would kill him or not, why even mention it?

Please make a numbered point if you're answering any of my points specifically, so it's easy to read.

Thanks.

Last edited:

stone

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2005
Everywhere
✟73,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi, I'd like some help trying to understand The Book of Job and some apparent contradictions that appear (in my mind), the Old Testament generally is difficult to read so I'd like some advice and insight from people who have a good grasp of it.

I find it hard to understand how God is just having a casual chat with Satan, almost like "where have you been son?"

1) If God is omniscient, why would he need to test Job's faithfulness?

Every Human has freewill.

2) Why is he taking on a dare from Satan? Does he really need to prove anything to Satan?

This is not a dare. What we are shown here is that there is some kind of covenant between Satan and God, which obviously has to do with proving that man is worth saving due to his rightousness in the sight of God. Satan never stops attempting to destroy men.

3) This discourse Satan has with God, and the one he has with God later in afflicting Job with sores (Job 2:3-6) seems awfully a lot to me like Satan has deceived God, almost like a friend with a dare saying "oh go on, you know you want to do it", and thus getting him to do what he wants. After all Satan would have had pleasure in tormenting Job would he not?

Deception is not what happened here. It's satan calling on Job to be weak in his faith and God calling his bluff, if you want to look at it through the gogles of as a bet. Satan's pleasure would have come if Job denied his faith in God, which is what the story is all about.

4) Satan knows God is omniscient presumably, and that he will not lie. All God would have to do is say, if I test Job he would stand fast to his faith, there is no reason for me to prove it to you, my word is enough, be gone.

There is more to God and his angels that humans can know and understand. Humans like to think that they know it all, and if it doesn't fit into my little box then it is impossible and cannot exist or be true. Your problem is that you may have no faith. Satan may have already won you. God didn't exactly call your name out before Satan either I'm sure.

5) Why does God say: "Behold, he is in your power; only spare his life" (Job 2:6) - does anyone dare trust Satan with anything? Furthermore if he's omniscient he would know whether Satan would kill him or not, why even mention it?

It's all about Job upholding his faith. Man has always had to power to choose which direction to go. Job had a choice to choose to remain with his faith and turn away from it.

Please make a numbered point if you're answering any of my points specifically, so it's easy to read.

Thanks.

All of my answers must coincide with the catechism. I'm not exactly sure what's written in the catechism, but I know what's written in the good book. :preach:

Last edited:
Upvote 0