Fellowship True spiritual warfare (read the ruleset before you post)

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟166,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
First the ruleset for a fellowship tag,...

Use this tag for any thread where you just want to share chit chat or discuss a topic with other like-minded members. There should be No debate at all, it is strictly fellowship in nature. The OP of these threads can report their own thread if it crosses the line into debate and staff will assist in a thread clean up (please see above for a definition of debate).

Now that everyone is sufficiently advised about the thread, and most of the argumentive types are on my ignore list, I'm going to try and take some time to do some teaching on the aspects of biblical spiritual warfare. This will be an experienced based topic rather than just a bunch of scripture quotes thrown together to try and sell a book. I'll try to get into the more harsher types of warfare as I go also. This thread will not be covering deliverance as I don't consider The Holy Spirit removing a stronghold and it's followers from someone as any sort of warfare,..... it is a healing.

Questions, chit chat, and such from the regulars of the subforum is ok, but I'm not here to provide a medical diagnosis of anyone.

Last edited:

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟166,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
We all very much know the statement in Ephesians from Paul,..

Eph 6:11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

Eph 6:12 For our wrestling is not against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world–rulers of this darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

And with that, we understand that it is a spiritual battle down here and not a fleshly one. It basically comes down to those demonic forces on earth, and those fallen spiritual forces in the heavenlies, coming against us and the area we live in with certain spiritual powers, all mostly under the direction of it's leader, satan.

The wild card here are those people who have learned how to operate spiritually against others also. It's still very much a spiritual battle no matter what, but they can come against us also with the things they have learned. I think the NT term would be sorcerers/sorcery. It can be an added aspect in the battle that many are unaware of and can possibly be overwhelmed with.

In all of this, we need to keep something in mind,...

Co 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve in his craftiness, your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity and the purity that is in Christ.

A lot of things are quite simple, but sometimes they can seem larger than they really are. If you know what the proper tools are for the job, it can turn out to be real easy to subdue, but if you don't, the battle can grind on longer than necessary.

Everything is a learning and maturing environment with Jesus. We want that growth in the process. We don't want to be walking around with combat ribbons on our chest that we didn't earn.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟166,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
At times I tend to come back to things I've posted already and add more context and information. I try to be in tune with The Holy Spirit and His revelation on things, and He tends to open things up more as I write, bringing aspects back to remembrance, etc.

So don't be surprised if you find things edited.

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find that a person needs to master the ability of being aware of the thoughts percolating in the mind and being able to resist what the word of God calls unclean or wicked thoughts. In essence, spiritual wickedness.

Proverbs 15:26
Isaiah 55:7, 59:7
Mark 7:21
2Corinthians 10:5

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟166,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Material

What is out there on this subject?

Are there any good books about this stuff?

Survey says,......No,.... there is nothing.

It's unfortunate, but having looked at some of the books that people have put together since the 90's and earlier, they don't really teach you anything. They pontificate about different sections of scripture and give historical views and recollections about such things, but they don't really include anything of substance that is useful in situations. Worse yet, they might include things that are not really scriptural, like the pleading of the blood stuff. If they happen to include a subject that is useful, like faith, they won't teach you how your faith is properly applied in situations, they will just give you an overview of sorts. "Yep, I wrote a book, now let me write some more and create a retirement account for myself!!" That's what it basically amounts to, besides the pride factor involved. These people are not really there to help it seems. You are pretty much on your own with this stuff. It's just you and GOD.

Currently, satan has been working his way into most of the mainline protestant churches and dividing their leaderships. Even the baptists and their love of scripture are seeing some of these problems with their leadership. Sin and it's effects is growing, even in the body of Christ. Now add spiritual warfare on top of the mix, without anyone knowledgeable about how to fight it, and things can quickly spiral out of control. Sure, Jesus can raise up more churches (and it's probably better that He did in most cases), but the residual fall-out from a church failing can possibly have an impact in a community.

So,.... where to start?

How about Purpose.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟166,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I find that a person needs to master the ability of being aware of the thoughts percolating in the mind and being able to resist what the word of God calls unclean or wicked thoughts. In essence, spiritual wickedness.

Proverbs 15:26
Isaiah 55:7, 59:7
Mark 7:21
2Corinthians 10:5
I'll get into our triune nature some, and post some information that is helpful, especially dealing with thoughts.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟190,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Co 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve in his craftiness, your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity and the purity that is in Christ.

A lot of things are quite simple, but sometimes they can seem larger than they really are. If you know what the proper tools are for the job, it can turn out to be real easy to subdue, but if you don't, the battle can grind on longer than necessary.
I fear this is likely my major issue. I know that I over think things, I try not to. Staying centered on Christ should be my main focus, and taking my thoughts captive to be obedient to him 2 Corinthians 10:5

• Agree
Reactions: ARBITER01
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Amen the mind is Satan's play ground. In Eph always renewing our mind. We need to remember know where the battle is and where it is not.
Romans 12:1,2 as well. trying to maintain a proper attitude with a submissive demeanor to God most high. Without the Holy Spirit we would be canon fodder for the adversary, sadly. Always needed is God's love, mercy and grace along with His patience and blessings abounding. All in thanksgiving as Paul frequently encouraged the brethren.

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟286,413.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This will be an experienced based topic rather than just a bunch of scripture quotes thrown together to try and sell a book.
Just an observation, I've found that scripture doesn't often sell books. The most respected contemporary bible teachers are the ones who stray the furthest from the Bible.

I appreciate that you led off with acknowledging that it will be experiential. It sounds interesting.

Hoping that I'm not on your ignore list, as I can be argumentative.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟166,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Just an observation, I've found that scripture doesn't often sell books. The most respected contemporary bible teachers are the ones who stray the furthest from the Bible.

I appreciate that you led off with acknowledging that it will be experiential. It sounds interesting.

Hoping that I'm not on your ignore list, as I can be argumentative.
Oh no, you're perfectly fine. You just seek clarity on issues at times and provide input from your experience base.

I have a few on my ignore list because of their constant argumentive stances and wrongful scriptural positions, and in some ways, harassment. My quality of life here is enhanced when I have no dealings with them.

I will quote some scripture on certain things but I will normally be relating personal experiences. On subjects like this, you can't be some sort of scriptural academic with people and think they are paying attention to you.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟166,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Purpose in such trials.

Congratulations! You've been drafted into a war you didn't know about. But this war is meant to mature you out of being a babe in Christ into a son of GOD,..

29 For whom he foreknew, he also foreordained to be conformed unto the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Everything is meant to separate us from our past and into His glory.

Anyone who is actually born again will have trials and tribulations down here. GOD uses various means to accomplish these things, so they will be different for each of us. But,.... each of us will be introduced to the enemy somehow. At some point you will begin to realize that satan and his forces hate you, and want to ruin you if they can.

The greater the purpose GOD intends with you, the more you will be roughed up by satan. You want to be a real prophet? Oh,.... well stand by for heavy rolls (Navy term) friend, because you're not getting it easy, not with him around. You want an anointing like the apostles had? Well guess who happens to also know all about that anointing? That's right,..... the former anointed cherub that hates you now, and will do everything he can to stop you from receiving it, and fight you just as much to keep you from holding onto it if you actually do receive it. He doesn't want anymore Jesus's walking around down here healing people, if he can help it.

Spiritual warfare has degrees of harshness. Most people will deal with just the demonic portion of it, which as you will see, is easier to defeat than you may have thought. It's very important to know about this portion of spiritual warfare because it has direct affect not on just people, but your churches and their activities also.

That's what I will get into next.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟166,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Identifying Demonic Activity and Dealing with it:

Most people have experienced some awareness of the demonic around them since becoming born again. You were renewed by the blood of Jesus and sealed with The Spirit of Truth inside,.... so yes, you now are able to know about this activity whereas before you were blind to it.

Demonic activity that you can encounter at times can range from something black moving nearby you out of the corner of your eye when shown by the discerning of spirits, to the manipulation of events around you, normally ones that are meant to come against you somehow. You can also be shown people who are filled with these things at times, when they start to cuss at you in stores and such. This normally only happens in response to the amount of holiness and closeness to GOD you are walking in.

So where could we encounter these things at times? How about in church?

Oh yea,.... Christians who are not all that close to GOD, who only associate themselves with GOD on Sundays, and mingle and frolic with the world the rest of the week, can drag all sorts of these things in with them on Sunday. They tend to attach themselves to folks who are not abiding by what scripture says about separating themselves.

Is your worship dead? Having a hard time in prayer throughout service? Can't seem to connect with GOD? Most likely these things are affecting people in the spiritual realm. Really though, you will begin to just assume they are in the service once you begin to realize how many folks are walking in the flesh as Christians.

So,... what can be done?

Whelp,.... let's look at something Jesus did and educate ourselves,....

Luk 8:28 And when he saw Jesus, he cried out, and fell down before him, and with a loud voice said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of the Most High God? I beseech thee, torment me not.
Luk 8:29 For he commanded the unclean spirit to come out from the man. For oftentimes it had seized him: and he was kept under guard, and bound with chains and fetters; and breaking the bands asunder, he was driven of the devil into the deserts.
Luk 8:30 And Jesus asked him, What is thy name? And he said, Legion; for many devils were entered into him.
Luk 8:31 And they entreated him that he would not command them to depart into the abyss.

Did you catch that last part? It wasn't just a deliverance of these things out of the man by Jesus, He was able to command them out of this world and into the abyss below, and these things knew it and worshipped Jesus in their own way to not do it. This was an authority that Jesus had down here which is normally not noticed by any of us in scripture.

Well guess what? This authority passed onto us also, most of us just don't know it.

So how does this work? Well let's look at scripture again,...

Mat 16:19 I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

This is sort of a generalized portion of scripture by Jesus. It can fit many types of situations for us because it is not specific. So by faith we apply this to our situation when we suspect that demonic activity can be happening around us.

Here's how I apply this:

I'll say "Father, I bind any evil spirits, principalities, and powers trying to affect us and this place. I bind them and cast them down, into the abyss, into the pit, never to be brought back up here to affect anyone or anything ever again, Father in the name of Jesus."

And I will immediately follow up this command by praying in the spirit to GOD, and myself.

I normally will always say this quietly to GOD and myself right after I get to church. If I think I need to say this again before worship starts, then I will do it again. I want our service to be connected with GOD with nothing in the way hindering it.

This was the very first tool that GOD showed me to use in situations, and I've used it plenty over the years. If I see something black out of the corner of my eye that I think The Holy Spirit showed me, I will say this same prayer but change the wording a bit just to make it more personal to me at that moment. I've never had it not work, and because it works, I don't have evil spirits messing with me anymore. Satan doesn't want to keep losing his forces this way around me.

If people are somewhat unsure faith-wise in doing this, then ask Jesus for the faith in it. We live by the faith OF The Son of GOD, so He is more than happy to give that to you. That's what He did for me.

EDIT: I updated the binding/loosing instruction and highlighted it. It is much more effective if you identify where you want them to go, like Jesus did in the supplied scripture example.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟166,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I wanted to put up a precaution here, something for people to think about.

There is not a demon around every corner that we need to be watching for. We operate with authority against them "when" The Holy Spirit reveals them to us by the discerning of spirits gift. We don't automatically start assuming things in this regard without His leading on it.

We have to become very in-tune with The Holy Spirit. We have to know His leading and teaching on things so we are not making mistakes.

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟286,413.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I wanted to put up a precaution here, something for people to think about.

There is not a demon around every corner that we need to be watching for. We operate with authority against them "when" The Holy Spirit reveals them to us by the discerning of spirits gift. We don't automatically start assuming things in this regard without His leading on it.

We have to become very in-tune with The Holy Spirit. We have to know His leading and teaching on things so we are not making mistakes.
I really like that post. I've known people who focused so much on deliverance that they did start seeing demons where there weren't any, and went about as far off track as you can go.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟166,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I really like that post. I've known people who focused so much on deliverance that they did start seeing demons where there weren't any, and went about as far off track as you can go.
The only exception to the rule on this would be when they make themselves known unto me. For instance. The Lord delivered me from heavy smoking back in '96, and I've not needed them since. But every once in a while there will be this sudden smell of cigarettes and the accompanying thoughts associated with them.

If they stupidly let me know they are around me like that, I go ahead state the same prayer out loud in english and then follow it up by praying by the spirit. I'm not going to ignore it, I will cast as many down as I can.

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟286,413.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The only exception to the rule on this would be when they make themselves known unto me. For instance. The Lord delivered me from heavy smoking back in '96, and I've not needed them since. But every once in a while there will be this sudden smell of cigarettes and the accompanying thoughts associated with them.

If they stupidly let me know they are around me like that, I go ahead state the same prayer out loud in english and then follow it up by praying by the spirit. I'm not going to ignore it, I will cast as many down as I can.
I absolutely agree.

Upvote 0