Traditional Crucifix or Risen Christ Crucifix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HisLamb

Feb 6, 2002
N.E. Texas
Visit site
✟1,054.00
Faith
Catholic
Hi people! :wave: I was wondering if any of you have a Risen Christ Crucifix besides having the traditional one with the Corpus on it?

And which do you prefer...if you have a preference?

My Crucifix is the traditional one, and I love that, as it helps me to focus on Jesus' suffering for us. So much love!

However, in the breakfast room, my sis-in-law has a Risen Christ Crucifix. I like that one, too, because it shows our Risen Lord in Glory. But I still prefer the traditional.... Just wondered how you all felt on the subject.

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I know I'm might be overly technical here, if it doesn't present "Christ crucified" it's not a crucifix, it's a cross with Christ depicted in front of it. But that's just my opinion.

I believe it is part of the Canon Law that a crucifix (depicting the crucified Christ) be presented in Church (though I may be wrong... it was a long long time ago that I was told that).

I'm not partial to crosses, with or without decoration... personally, I'll choose a crucifix every time. It is a much more vivid reminder of the price Christ paid for my sins.

Upvote 0

HisLamb

Feb 6, 2002
N.E. Texas
Visit site
✟1,054.00
Faith
Catholic
Hi, nyj. I don't mind if you're "getting technical". I called it the "Risen Christ Crucifix" because that's what it's called in catalogs, and it was easier to type than "the cross that has the Risen Lord on it" in the title of the thread. ;)

I have never seen a Risen Lord one in a Catholic Church. I meant what people have in their homes. And I agree. As I said...I like my Crucifix best. :)

Upvote 0

ZooMom

Thanks for the memories...
Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The crucifix, definitely.

There is no Grace in an empty cross, IMHO. An empty tomb however, is a powerful symbol. Our Salvation came from Christ's presence on the Cross, and His absence from the tomb. An empty cross is just...well...empty. :)

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟281,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Traditional crucifix. Always. IMHO, the "Risen Lord" cross is an somewhat unfortunate mixing of two different symbols. If you want a cross in it, fine---go with a crucifix, symbolizing Our Lord's sacrifice and redemptive death. If you want to depict the Risen Christ, fine---put a cloud under His feet, and you have the Ascention.

I usually wear a crucifix and a St. Patrick's medal (my patron saint); I think the crucifix is a much more Catholic witness than a bare cross, which I feel is more Protestant, even though there's certainly nothing wrong with just a cross....a crucifix is just my personal preference.

Upvote 0

Kotton

Feb 8, 2002
Kansas
Visit site
✟20,964.00
Faith
Catholic
Originally posted by HisLamb
I have never seen a Risen Lord one in a Catholic Church.
Well come on over and I will show you one in the neighboring town. Don't know who selected it, but the two parishes, with the same pastor, had their altars removed in the late 60's/early 70's. The other had no crucifix when I moved in, but during my time on the parish council we took action. A college art student cast a corpus and a parishioner made the cross. This now hangs in the hall of the new church. There is an ornate wooden altar from a closed church and a crucifix of Slavic design.

In the bedroom of our home, I have the crucifix given at eighth grade graduation by our pastor, Father Thadeous B.
It is wood with a metal corpus, and now 56 years old.

Kotton :)

Upvote 0

HisLamb

Feb 6, 2002
N.E. Texas
Visit site
✟1,054.00
Faith
Catholic
Kotton and Avila...Oh my! I guess I'm lucky in not having been to a Church with the Risen Lord on the cross. In Church...during Mass.... OUCH!

Mass is all about Christ's sacrifice for us. The Crucifix helps us to remember...

I agree with Woseley, too, on the way the Risen Christ should be portrayed...not on a cross, but on a cloud. I still like the artwork of the figure of Christ on my sis-in-law's cross, but I love the ones I've seen (statues/pictures) that show Jesus emerging from the tomb or on a cloud ascending to Heaven.

Maybe I should say here that my sis-in-law and brother have traditional Crucifixes throughout the house.

Kotton, the Crucifix in my bedroom is old, too. It belonged to my parents before me. I'm not sure exactly when they got it, but it was before I was born, so it's over 55 years old. I treasure it.

Upvote 0

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by HisLamb

Kotton, the Crucifix in my bedroom is old, too. It belonged to my parents before me. I'm not sure exactly when they got it, but it was before I was born, so it's over 55 years old. I treasure it.

The crucifix in my wife and I's bedroom is old as well. It belonged to my "Uncle Joe" (one of my grandpa's brothers) who died when I was seven. He and I were inseperable and to this day I miss him (over two decades later). After he died and my grandparents were packing up his things, they allowed me to sort through his stuff and take the things that I wanted. One of those things was his crucifix which hung on his wall. The cross itself is metal, thin (about a quarter inch in thickness square) and faded gold colored. About a foot in length. The corpus is a faded, silver, slightly tarnished in appearance. It is my favorite crucifix, and though probably not expensive as far as materials are concerned, it is priceless to me.

Upvote 0

HisLamb

Feb 6, 2002
N.E. Texas
Visit site
✟1,054.00
Faith
Catholic
nyj, that is wonderful that you have a Crucifix with such a personal meaning (besides the obvious...don't jump on me. ;) ) I know that the one I have from my parents means alot to me. They have been gone 21 and almost 20 years now. I still miss them, too. Always will, I guess, but I have the wonderful hope of seeing them again one day. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.