Total Depravity - The supernatural consequences

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I know Calvinists are usually not Mystics from other conversations i've had but i noticed something . i think it's something very important . if it doesn't make any sense to you then i'm sorry . i just wanted to bring up something i noticed .

In the bible it is said that

The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. (1st Corinthians 15:56)

James Chapter 1
14 each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed. 15 Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.

When total depravity is taught there is a common consequence . it causes people to think about their sin intently and then when they leave the assembly they leave it there . this cultivates in participants what is called "the monster God" .. but it's just sin .

I think if something was added to the service that helped people confess their sins or alleviate them by getting closer to God in a reformist way .. whatever that might be .. it might help .

I posted this here because it's the only place to have a two way conversation with reformists in the reformist area . and i have noticed the phenomena affecting the areas outside of churches .

we "can" debate . but we don't have to . i hope all is well with you . and regardless of your actions i will continue praying in regards to what God has given me as my responsibility . i.e. if i know it's there i'm already doing something about it .

may God's love bless you and keep you . and may you have confidence on the day of Judgment whenever that may come .

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,943,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
When total depravity is taught there is a common consequence . it causes people to think about their sin intently and then when they leave the assembly they leave it there . this cultivates in participants what is called "the monster God" .. but it's just sin .

I think if something was added to the service that helped people confess their sins or alleviate them by getting closer to God in a reformist way .. whatever that might be .. it might help .

Hi Michael, when I first learned about Total Depravity, I was still Arminian. But whether Arminian or Calvinist, when I consider what "Total Depravity" means, I find I always think about God and all that He's done for me, not my sin nature. I think of a God who is great in mercy and love, not of a "monster".

As far as confession goes, that's officially part of every service in my church and, quite frankly, of every church I've ever visited, at least that I can remember. It is also given special attention on Communion Sundays and during extended times of prayer, which happen once a month.

It's possible I've misunderstood what you're actually asking us in the OP, so just to make sure we're on the same page, would you mind telling us what you believe the doctrine of Total Depravity teaches (about us and about God)?

Thanks!

Yours and His,
David

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hi Michael, when I first learned about Total Depravity, I was still Arminian. But whether Arminian or Calvinist, when I consider what "Total Depravity" means, I find I always think about God and all that He's done for me, not my sin nature. I think of a God who is great in mercy and love, not of a "monster".

As far as confession goes, that's officially part of every service in my church and, quite frankly, of every church I've ever visited, at least that I can remember. It is also given special attention on Communion Sundays and during extended times of prayer, which happen once a month.

It's possible I've misunderstood what you're actually asking us in the OP, so just to make sure we're on the same page, would you mind telling us what you believe the doctrine of Total Depravity teaches (about us and about God)?

Thanks!

Yours and His,
David

I was noticing when i was walking outside a church i discerned a disturbing spiritual presence surrounding the area . as i began to pray for god to cleanse it so it did not affect the populace . i had been there to see what was being taught a number of times and each time it was definitely that message . there's something supernatural that happens i was noticing . if you're noticing that the church is offering that service . then that's good news . perhaps what i'm experiencing with that one spot in my general area is merely localized .

thank you for the response .

Upvote 0

Don Maurer

^Oh well^
Jun 5, 2013
Pa, USA, Earth, solar system, milky way, universe.
✟54,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I know Calvinists are usually not Mystics from other conversations i've had but i noticed something . i think it's something very important . if it doesn't make any sense to you then i'm sorry . i just wanted to bring up something i noticed .

I was noticing when i was walking outside a church i discerned a disturbing spiritual presence surrounding the area . as i began to pray for god to cleanse it so it did not affect the populace . i had been there to see what was being taught a number of times and each time it was definitely that message . there's something supernatural that happens i was noticing . if you're noticing that the church is offering that service . then that's good news . perhaps what i'm experiencing with that one spot in my general area is merely localized .

thank you for the response .
Michael, you are exactly right. Calvinists are not usually mystics in the sense you seem to be suggesting. In fact there is a reformed doctrine called "Sola Scriptura." That doctrine says that the scriptures is the only rule of faith and practice that is inerrant and infallible and the word of God. This does not mean that people cannot recognize the supernatural, but we would not consider it to be an infallible and innerrant word of God. Experiences of the supernatural is not to be seen as having the same authority as scripture.

If you are concerned that we will want scriptural demonstration and examination of any spiritual experience, your concern would probably be exactly right. That is exactly where the reformed will go.

Upvote 0