To vote in favor of sola scriptura testing of all doctrine and tradition

Do you agree with Sola Scriptura testing of all doctrine and tradition?

• Yes - all doctrine and tradition should be tested sola scriptura to see if it contradicts scripture

• No - I do not think all doctrine and tradition should be tested sola scriptura

• Tradition should be used to interpret the Bible and whether to accept a doctrine, accept a tradition

• I don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟744,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I would say any one who believes God can't prevent His own word from being completely corrupted worships a very small God.
I agree however, there are (as I've said many times) 100,000 different denominations based on 100,000 differing interpretations of God's word. How are we to know which is the correct interpretation?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟928,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Everyone does not have the ability nor the inspiration to interpret properly. Feel free to trust yourself to have the proper interpretation of the Bible but remember this:
Acts 17:11 even NON-Christians have been given the power by God to actually read the Bible and "study the scriptures daily to SEE IF those things spoken - were SO"

Is it your claim that you do not have that same ability that even non-Christians have?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟928,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I agree however, there are (as I've said many times) 100,000 different denominations
And some of them claim to be Catholic.

We have seen strong differences even between certain Catholic groups like Orthodox vs Roman Catholic on this very board.

The idea that each one paying attention only to his/her own magisterium results in zero divisions - has not proven to be true.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟101,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I agree however, there are (as I've said many times) 100,000 different denominations based on 100,000 differing interpretations of God's word. How are we to know which is the correct interpretation?
Do you believe the words of Jesus?

John 16: 13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

How much truth? All truth. God is trustworthy and will keep His word. We just can't trust ourselves. Pray for God's leading whenever you open your Bible and He will lead you to the truth.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟928,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Anyone can "read" but can just anyone interpret properly?

You are responding to a post where it is pointed out explicitly that we have outright approval for individuals "reading scripture" that are not even Christians at all - and using what they read in scripture to 'test' the teaching of the Apostle Paul -- EVEN though their own magisterium is on record as condemning Paul's doctrine.

How is that even a little bit confusing?

How is it that some Christians are claiming to have less ability to read scripture accurately than these non-Christians in Acts 17? It does not appear logical to me
We see that is not the case with Protestantism
We see Catholicism has split and splintered many times -- demonstrating the point that "just get other people to believe whatever my magisterium says" did not work for the Jews of Christ's day in Mark 7:7-13 and does not work to this very day.
Correct, and you trust the Church to do that
Nope - I accept the same 27 that the NT saints were already reading long before the Catholic church came along a number of centuries later.
Even you admit that the first century church was reading those texts as inspired of God.

This is really the easy part - it seems to me.
Again, I remind you that tradition is tested by scripture
It failed that test in Mark 7:7-13 which you seem to refuse to Christ though it is stated outright.
Everyone does not have the ability nor the inspiration to interpret properly.
Apparently non-Christians in Acts 17:11 had it. Is it your claim that you do not have the ability of those non-Christians??
Feel free to trust yourself to have the proper interpretation of the Bible but remember this:

Proverbs 3:5-6​

5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart​

and lean not on your own understanding;​

6 in all your ways submit to him,​

and he will make your paths straight.?​

An Old testament teaching also used by those Acts 17:11 non-Christians to test the teaching of Paul and ignore their own magisterium's condemnation of Paul's doctrine.

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,442.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Your question then turns into "Why should they have been allowed to exclude any of the books being read in the first century".

It is not so much the books they invented/wrote/came-up-with in the 4th century but rather the books they rejected. And our 27 is not then a new set of books in the 4th century but the same ones as in the first century only fewer.

We trust ourselves to be able to "read" and we note that the 27 were never rejected in the first century to start with.
So then nobody says "believe whatever my magesterium says - that is your solution" -- because that is 'no solution at all' for clearing up divisions.

As you already admitted - they were not coming up with new books in the 4th century - they were removing books.

In fact in Mark 7:7-13 tradition gets slam hammered - sola scriptura.

Then you should have no problem with everyone doing that very test.
Just as Christ did in Mark 7 when He slam-hammered tradition in his day.
Just as the Acts 17:11 example shows as they "studied the scriptures daily to SEE IF those things spoken to them by the Apostle Paul - were So"

I can agree with you here Bob. Test the catechism by scripture. Don’t read what people say about the Catechism or even another Catholic’s interpretation of it. Read the Catechism and tell us where it contradicts scripture

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟744,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Acts 17:11 even NON-Christians have been given the power by God to actually read the Bible and "study the scriptures daily to SEE IF those things spoken - were SO"

Is it your claim that you do not have that same ability that even non-Christians have?

And some of them claim to be Catholic.

We have seen strong differences even between certain Catholic groups like Orthodox vs Roman Catholic on this very board.

The idea that each one paying attention only to his/her own magisterium results in zero divisions - has not proven to be true.

You are responding to a post where it is pointed out explicitly that we have outright approval for individuals "reading scripture" that are not even Christians at all - and using what they read in scripture to 'test' the teaching of the Apostle Paul -- EVEN though their own magisterium is on record as condemning Paul's doctrine.

How is that even a little bit confusing?

How is it that some Christians are claiming to have less ability to read scripture accurately than these non-Christians in Acts 17? It does not appear logical to me

We see Catholicism has split and splintered many times -- demonstrating the point that "just get other people to believe whatever my magisterium says" did not work for the Jews of Christ's day in Mark 7:7-13 and does not work to this very day.

Nope - I accept the same 27 that the NT saints were already reading long before the Catholic church came along a number of centuries later.
Even you admit that the first century church was reading those texts as inspired of God.

This is really the easy part - it seems to me.
They were reading those and reading and writing many more books and letters. The original Church voted on which books and letters are the most important. If you believe they were divinely inspired enough to choose which writings would be included, why not also believe their interpretation of those scriptures that they chose?
It failed that test in Mark 7:7-13 which you seem to refuse to Christ though it is stated outright.
This passage does not dispute that tradition has been tested by scripture.
Apparently non-Christians in Acts 17:11 had it. Is it your claim that you do not have the ability of those non-Christians??
This passage does still not say that we are to lean on our own understanding. It simply confirms the law is available for anyone to read for themselves what the law says. It still does not indicate that the Church's tradition is not tested by scripture.
An Old testament teaching also used by those Acts 17:11 non-Christians to test the teaching of Paul and ignore their own magisterium's condemnation of Paul's doctrine.
Still, you add your own interpretation of what that passage is saying. It does not say that there is no need for a teacher, it simply says, (in a nutshell) if you don't believe it you can read it for yourselves.

Is the fullness of truth found in 100,000 different ways or is there one truth? 100,000 different churches with 100,000 different interpretations should show you that reading scripture by yourself with no guidance is why everyone has their own interpretation of what it says. Like the way you read a passage and think it means something that it doesn't.

The Catholic Church was split in two however both have the same origin, the Apostles. Politics separated them into two branches of the same tree. One believing that after the NT, there will be no further revelation given to the Church, the other believing that as God lives and breaths, so does his Church and he continues to make divine revelation to that Church for all time."The West has one central authority and council and the East has autonomous church bodies in every Eastern country. So they have the Ukranian Church, The Greek Orthodox Church, The Russian, The Ethiopian, the Syrriac, etc. etc. The Metropolitans of the East did not want to pay homage to Rome but the Roman Church united all of central and Western Europe under the same doctrine. That is unity, that is the Church that the Rock (St Peter) founded and Jesus said "On THIS Rock, I will build my Church. Jesus never said, "I will start 100,000 different churches all having different philosophies and rules because anyone can start A church based on their own interpretation(s) of what I said.."

Jesus founded one Church that is Holy and Apostolic. Then people came around 1,500 years later and told themselves "I can interpret this scripture better than the members of the Church who wrote it." I believe Christ was sent to unite his people under one church, not 100,000 different ones.

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟454,215.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Anyone can "read" but can just anyone interpret properly? We see that is not the case with Protestantism as there are 100,000 different interpretations by those who "read" and interpret however they please.

Correct, and you trust the Church to do that but don't trust it to know how to interpret the books that they chose. Why trust their ability to discern what is and isn't divine revelation but reject that same church's revelation?

Again, I remind you that tradition is tested by scripture so scripture/tradition.

Everyone does not have the ability nor the inspiration to interpret properly. Feel free to trust yourself to have the proper interpretation of the Bible but remember this:

Proverbs 3:5-6​

5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart​

and lean not on your own understanding;​

6 in all your ways submit to him,​

and he will make your paths straight.?​

Should you trust the Church Christ founded or trust yourself?

Tradition is just that something that man made of their own and then claim that its valid as law..

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟928,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
BobRyan said:

This passage does still not say that we are to lean on our own understanding.
The OT text that they had says to trust in the LORD and lean not on your own understanding. It does not say "trust your magisterium even when they condemn the teaching of Paul".

Paul was Pharisee - their own magisterium was composed of Pharisees - yet these non-Christians only had to "study the scriptures daily to SEE IF those things were so" according to the Acts 17:11 text you are not quoting.

So the point remains and your reference to an OT text which they had access to - as non-Christians is not helping your case that appears to be that they could not possibly do what the text says they did.
It simply confirms the law is available for anyone to read for themselves
Not only read - but as the details show - apply and then conclude in direct opposition to the traditions/teaching of their magisterium that had condemned Paul's doctrine.

I don't see how this is even a little bit confusing given what Acts 17:11 actually says.
It still does not indicate that the Church's tradition is not tested by scripture.
Testing tradition by scripture is exactly what Christ did in Mark 7:7-13 when he condemned it as well as "many such things that you do " according to the details in that text you are not quoting.
Still, you add your own interpretation
If you skim over enough details in the text we are reading you can eventually blame those details on me - but anyone actually reading the text can see that that solution does not work.
Is the fullness of truth found in 100,000 different ways or is there one truth?
I am happy with one.
100,000 different churches with 100,000 different interpretations
And many Catholic groups in opposition to each other

Just believe whatever my-magisterium says - never solved any differences.
should show you that reading scripture by yourself with no guidance is why everyone has their own interpretation
In Acts 17:11 it is how they reached the correct conclusion even though their magisterium was on record as condemning the doctrine of Paul.
You keep skimming past that detail.
The Catholic Church was split in two however both have the same origin, the Apostles.
So say we all.

That is not the solution. Both the Bereans and the Thessalonians and Paul had the same Jewish church origins. But one was right and the other was wrong. The solution (as the details in the text that you are skimming past point out) was to "study the scriptures daily to see IF those things were so" -- rather than simply follow whatever their magisterium said.

How does this appear to be even a little bit confusing?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟928,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I can agree with you here Bob. Test the catechism by scripture. Don’t read what people say about the Catechism or even another Catholic’s interpretation of it. Read the Catechism and tell us where it contradicts scripture
I agree 100%. That is the way to test whether the Catechism is presenting sound doctrine in every case or if in some cases it is in error.

This thread is simply establishing the baseline point that the test should be done and that in fact it is seen to be successfully done - even by non-Christians in cases like Acts 17:11 where the accepted magisterium was on record as condemning Paul's doctrine.

But as we all can see -- there are some responses on this thread that state we should not be doing that same sola-scriptura testing that even the non-Christian Bible students of Acts 17:11 were able to do, without first checking to see if some other group's magesterium agrees with it first. Not a very compelling solution and I don't see anyone ever using such a method.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,442.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I agree 100%. That is the way to test whether the Catechism is presenting sound doctrine in every case or if in some cases it is in error.

This thread is simply establishing the baseline point that the text should be done and that in fact it is seen to be successfully done - even by non-Christians in cases like Acts 17:11 where the accepted magisterium was on record as condemning Paul's doctrine.

But as we all can see -- there are some responses on this thread that state we should not be doing that same sola-scriptura testing that even the non-Christian Bible students of Acts 17:11 were able to do, without first checking to see if some other group's magesterium agrees with it first. Not a very compelling solution and I don't see anyone ever using such a method.
I never denied scripture testing, but relying on one’s own wits and constructing doctrine from scripture while ignoring history of those that have gone before us is the most concerning.

Arius, Pelagius, and the Gnostics were sola scripturists, both were refuted by the Magisterium, and even most Protestants agree theyw

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟744,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Tradition is just that something that man made of their own and then claim that its valid as law..
Like I have said before, tradition is always tempered by scripture. IMO, man-made tradition has its roots in all of the 100,000 individual interpretations of scripture in the 100,000 different Protestant churches. One God, one Church, one interpretation coming from the Church founded by the Apostles, not the Church founded by Calvin, or Zwilingi, King Henry VIII or whoever didn't like something already established and changed the things they didn't like and kept the things they did like.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟744,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
The OT text that they had says to trust in the LORD and lean not on your own understanding. It does not say "trust your magisterium even when they condemn the teaching of Paul".

Paul was Pharisee - their own magisterium was composed of Pharisees - yet these non-Christians only had to "study the scriptures daily to SEE IF those things were so" according to the Acts 17:11 text you are not quoting.

So the point remains and your reference to an OT text which they had access to - as non-Christians is not helping your case that appears to be that they could not possibly do what the text says they did.
100,000 different churches are leaning on their own understanding not the understanding the Apostles had but the understanding the they personally had. Trusting the Lord means trusting his Church to disseminate the text properly. It doesn't mean to study the Bible yourself and draw your own conclusions that are different than the church next door and them drawing different conclusions from the church up the street.
Not only read - but as the details show - apply and then conclude in direct opposition to the traditions/teaching of their magisterium that had condemned Paul's doctrine.

I don't see how this is even a little bit confusing given what Acts 17:11 actually says.
That was the magisterium of the Jewish religion. Not the magisterium of the newly founded universal church.
And many Catholic groups in opposition to each other

Just believe whatever my-magisterium says - never solved any differences.
Yes, there are conservative Catholics and Liberal Catholics. Most of that is people's politics affecting their religion. It doesn't mean they differ on basic doctrine, how salvation works, who is a Christian, or the Liturgy and Mass, The real body of Christ in the Eucharist. Som believe more rigidly in the need to be obedient than others.
In Acts 17:11 it is how they reached the correct conclusion even though their magisterium was on record as condemning the doctrine of Paul.
You keep skimming past that detail.
Peter actually changed his mind about obedience to Levitical law when he was convinced by Paul that they had no need for physical circumcision as long as they has spiritual circumcision. The division was mended and The Church was united and still is.
So say we all.

That is not the solution. Both the Bereans and the Thessalonians and Paul had the same Jewish church origins. But one was right and the other was wrong. The solution (as the details in the text that you are skimming past point out) was to "study the scriptures daily to see IF those things were so" -- rather than simply follow whatever their magisterium said.

How does this appear to be even a little bit confusing?
I'm not confused. What scripture were they referring to? The Book of Acts or the Old Testament? Did Peter change his mind and include the Gentiles and their unclean ways? How could they test scripture that wasn't even written yet? What you seem to be confused about is the number of different interpretations by Protestant church are as varied as the opinions of the people in those Churches. They say they can figure it out for themselves but did you not have a teacher?

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟454,215.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Like I have said before, tradition is always tempered by scripture. IMO, man-made tradition has its roots in all of the 100,000 individual interpretations of scripture in the 100,000 different Protestant churches. One God, one Church, one interpretation coming from the Church founded by the Apostles, not the Church founded by Calvin, or Zwilingi, King Henry VIII or whoever didn't like something already established and changed the things they didn't like and kept the things they did like.
It never was established, just imposed by force and death, by man...

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟744,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
It never was established, just imposed by force and death, by man...
And Protestantism and Anglicanism was imopsed on practicing Catholis. So they weren't doing anything different than The Church. The thing is, it was different version of Christianity that was imposed on people depending on what country they came from whereas the One True and Apostoplic Church's rules were the same everywhere in the Western world with Church Law being enforced by the Kings who submitted to the one true and Apostolic Church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟928,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
100,000 different churches are leaning on their own understanding not the understanding the Apostles
Likely every single one of them would say that same thing about the Catholic church.
Trusting the Lord means trusting his Church to disseminate the text properly.
We all believe our church is His Church and that it presents His doctrine properly.

A lot of people believe they can do what even the non-Christians could do in Acts 17:11 "study the scriptures daily to SEE IF those things were SO - that were spoken by the Apostle Paul - even though THE CHURCH magesterium condemned Paul's doctrine"
It doesn't mean to study the Bible yourself and draw your own conclusions that are different than the church next door and them drawing different conclusions from the church up the street.

That was the magisterium of the Jewish religion.
Not true. The Jews believed in a magesterium that was headed up by Pharisees and tended to be very opened to what Paul said as a Pharisee coming from Jerusalem. They had not value at all for "we don't care about the Jewish nation church , just our own local congregation" and you see that in the way they condemn Paul.

What is more they were convinced they had infallible tradition beyond their decrees "handed down" -- Just as Jesus points out in Mark 7:7-13

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟928,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I never denied scripture testing, but relying on one’s own wits and constructing doctrine from scripture while ignoring history of those that have gone before us is the most concerning.
Where do you see the non-Christians of Acts 17:11 standing in your model above - as they totally rejected the one-true nation-church's condemnation of Paul's doctrine and then by studying the scriptures daily - to SEE IF - Paul was correct - sided with Paul against their own magesterium

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,442.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Where do you see the non-Christians of Acts 17:11 standing in your model above - as they totally rejected the one-true nation-church's condemnation of Paul's doctrine and then by studying the scriptures daily - to SEE IF - Paul was correct - sided with Paul against their own magesterium
The non-Christians of Acts 17:11 listened to Paul and modeled their worship after his teaching. They consulted scripture to make sure he was not deceiving them, but when verified they followed his teaching.

They did not read the scriptures on their own and construct their own teaching apart from Paul.

I would liken that to a believer today that reads the Catechism of the Catholic Church fully and in context and searches the scriptures to see weather it is true and consistent

Reading the scriptures on our own and constructing a teaching is a daunting task, and some concepts are difficult to grasp. Even Peter speaks of Paul having some hard teachings that some misunderstand and teach incorrectly.

It would be difficult if I would read the scriptures, and command people to listen to my interpretation, and keep myself free from error.

For myself, I remain open to reproof and correction. I rely on the Catechism and 2000 years of history. That reliance does not preclude me from reading and practicing contemplative prayer with the scriptures. The magisterium cannot contradict scripture, but their understanding is above mine

Devoted Catholics go through the Liturgy of the hours, also known as the breviary. It is a four volume set that goes through the entire Bible, Church History and lives of the saints, with references for further reading. It is read by breaking up the day into six separate hours of prayer and an office of readings. It is an obligation for priests, nuns and religious to pray the liturgy of the hours daily. They remain immersed in scripture, and some lay groups also follow the liturgy of the hours. The entire Bible is covered in three year cycles to give a more thorough study.

Catholics are not told to turn off their brain and ignore scripture. The scriptures are searched daily for the truth, and we have the promise of the Holy Spirit to lead us into all truth.

We do not read the scriptures alone and refuse correction, as it is God’s will, “It is not good for man to be alone”

If you find an error in Church teaching or the Catechism, we can discuss it and search the scriptures to see if there really is an error

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟744,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Likely every single one of them would say that same thing about the Catholic church.
The Catholic CHurch leans on the understanding of the Apostles and their students. Not the writings of Calvin for example who was a lawyer. Others go with the interpretation they like the most and we go with the interpretation of the original Church founded by Christ and his disciples.
We all believe our church is His Church and that it presents His doctrine properly.

A lot of people believe they can do what even the non-Christians could do in Acts 17:11 "study the scriptures daily to SEE IF those things were SO - that were spoken by the Apostle Paul - even though THE CHURCH magesterium condemned Paul's doctrine"
So there are 100,000 different "proper" ways to interpret scripture? I don't think that is accurate.
Not true. The Jews believed in a magesterium that was headed up by Pharisees and tended to be very opened to what Paul said as a Pharisee coming from Jerusalem. They had not value at all for "we don't care about the Jewish nation church , just our own local congregation" and you see that in the way they condemn Paul.
Could it be because the CHurch of Jerusalem was made up of Jewish Christians? At that point there were no Gentile believers or they were few and far between. Are you forgetting how St Peter ended up agreeing with Paul that the Gentiles should not be bound by Jewish Law? Did you forget that part or does that fact make it inconvenient to believe whatever you want to glean from the text?
What is more they were convinced they had infallible tradition beyond their decrees "handed down" -- Just as Jesus points out in Mark 7:7-13
The infallible tradition actually WAS handed down from the early Church. The Mass hasn't changed in a couple thousand years but every other church came up with its own order of service that suited the own understanding. By the way, checking the scripture does not mean that you do it with no guidance. If that were so the church would be unified but instead it s splintered into 100,000 peices.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟928,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The non-Christians of Acts 17:11 listened to Paul and modeled their worship after his teaching. They consulted scripture to make sure he was not deceiving them, but when verified they followed his teaching.

They did not read the scriptures on their own and construct their own teaching apart from Paul.

I would liken that to a believer today that reads the Catechism of the Catholic Church fully and in context and searches the scriptures to see weather it is true and consistent

Reading the scriptures on our own and constructing a teaching is a daunting task, and some concepts are difficult to grasp. Even Peter speaks of Paul having some hard teachings
Not true.

acts 17:11 says they HEARD his teaching then "studied the scriptures daily to SEE IF those things spoken by the Apostle Paul were even SO at all".

These non-Christians did not first follow his teaching then later stop and ask "is this even a good thing"? That is not logical. Rather they tested it first and only then , once they found their own magisterium to be in error - and Paul to be the one with correct doctrine - did they "follow" his teaching.

a not-so-subtle detail , not to be missed.
It would be difficult if I would read the scriptures, and command people to listen to my interpretation
Indeed if you were to read scripture to non-Christians and perhaps even make stuff up, for a people whose own magisterium was on record as condemning your doctrine as heresy - it would be very illogical to tell them they must first accept your doctrine as true - before they tested it no matter that their established magesterium had condemned you.
For myself, I remain open to reproof and correction. I rely on the Catechism and 2000 years of history. That reliance does not preclude me from reading and practicing contemplative prayer with the scriptures.

The magisterium cannot contradict scripture
According to Christ in Mark 7:7-13 they most certainly did that very thing
And in Acts 17:11 the Bereans had to come to that same conclusion in order to take Paul's teaching over the established magesterium.

I don't see how this is even a little bit difficult since it is central to what those two texts are saying.

Upvote 0