To prevent cancer, heart disease, alzheimers, or help hyperactivity & behavior probs

""

Jul 8, 2005
✟27,472.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Omega 3 Fish Oils, and Cod Liver Oil.

These are both wonderful additions to the diet. Please consider trying either or both of them. I could go on and on about the benefits but I think I will just leave you some links to check out instead.

Also, don't buy it from some online sales company. You can get it in your own city, from any reputable grocery store, pharmacy, and/or health food store.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/mind/articles/intelligenceandmemory/omega_three.shtml

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4632

http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/106/21/2747

LienShen

Equal Love for All
Mar 17, 2005
Around the Middle of it All
✟17,573.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
My husband hates fish of any kind, and has trouble swallowing pills. So I grind up flax seed and add it to both the bread I make and to chili. It helps him get his Omegas. Most of the seven grain bread has flax seed as well, and some nutrition stores sell flax seed oil gels and they seem smaller than the cod liver oil ones, so they are easier to swallow.

Upvote 0

progressivegal

Jan 3, 2005
✟16,438.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Undeniably said:
My husband hates fish of any kind, and has trouble swallowing pills. So I grind up flax seed and add it to both the bread I make and to chili. It helps him get his Omegas. Most of the seven grain bread has flax seed as well, and some nutrition stores sell flax seed oil gels and they seem smaller than the cod liver oil ones, so they are easier to swallow.
:thumbsup:
I put it in my whey protien shakes every morning and night myself, that's a great idea though! I'm cooking for my family tonight (staying with the rent's over the summer and my BF is out of town) and I think I'll add a bit too the rice.

Upvote 0

""

Jul 8, 2005
✟27,472.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'd like to hear more about your whey protein shakes actually. I don't give my son any milk, as it only seems to cause negative behavior. He is a special needs child, and I was wondering about whey. I know a little bit about whey, but not much. As it stands now, I give him rice milk and/or soy milk, both of which he isn't that pleased with. ^_^ We've also been drinking calcium fortified orange juice, which he does like quite a bit.

What does whey taste like and what are the benefits? Also, where did you get it and what is the cost if you're drinking it on a daily basis?

Upvote 0

progressivegal

Jan 3, 2005
✟16,438.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Adiya said:
I'd like to hear more about your whey protein shakes actually. I don't give my son any milk, as it only seems to cause negative behavior. He is a special needs child, and I was wondering about whey. I know a little bit about whey, but not much. As it stands now, I give him rice milk and/or soy milk, both of which he isn't that pleased with. ^_^ We've also been drinking calcium fortified orange juice, which he does like quite a bit.

What does whey taste like and what are the benefits? Also, where did you get it and what is the cost if you're drinking it on a daily basis?

You can get whey protien almost anywhere, but you have to be careful because many of them contain artificial sweeteners (especially ascesulfame K , which is scary stuff!). I like Designer Whey protien the best, which is sweetened with Stevia. Whey protein is TYICALLY about $13 dollers for a two pound tub, but is around $30 if you buy it at a health food store. K-mart actually makes a whey protein based drink called "Thin and Trim" which is sweetened with sucrose and is about $5 for a pound. Whey protein is one of the only dairy products I consume besides Kiefer, butter and plain yogurt (and the occasional ice cream which I know isn't good!). Believe it or not, the calcium that our body uses most efficiently comes from leafy greans and nuts. I don't have all of the facts memorized, but in a great book I read "Fit for Life II" there is a great chapter on the harmfulness of dairy (most dairy anyway they say kiefer, butter and sour cream are OK). According to the author, Milk can actually rob your body of calcium and excess milk drinking can be a factor in osteoperosis! (pretty shocking eh?). Whey protein IS a great source of protein but I don't know if I would considr it a calcium supplement, I don't really even know how much it contains. I would stay away from the typical calcium supplements you see in the grocery store and I'd be a bit weary about the "Fortified" drinks. Basically what they do with those is rob the stuff of it's natural "goodness" and remake the vitamins and minerals in a lab and add them in so they'e not near as good. I can reccomend coral calcium though, I took it for quite a while before switching to Standard rocesses Calcium Lactate.
I actually am a huge rice milk fan, but I understand why a child wouldn't like it. There is chocolate or vanilla flavored rice milk, have you tried that?

Upvote 0

LienShen

Equal Love for All
Mar 17, 2005
✟17,573.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
The flavoured rice milk isn't bad, but my son prefers Soy milk to the Rice milk flavours. My son use to get awful phlem buildup when he drank cows milk, so we switched him to Soy and now he doesn't have sinus infections of ear infections anymore. Ear infections are unbareable because when he'd get them, he couldn't wear his hearing aids and it was miserable. Now he's doing so much better. I like Rice milk on my cereal in the morning (I have Crohn's disease myself and stay away from dairy and gluten) as it's lighter than soy milk. I don't like a heavy breakfast. I put Flax seed in my children's oatmeal and cream of wheat as well. Anything I can mix it in that won't change the texture of what I am serving is a good idea.

As for calcium, my doctor told me that they best ways to get it are the fortified orange juice/apple juice method. For some reason it's broken down to be better absorbed into your system. Stick with the proven brand names though, like Mott's Plus and Brand Name orange juice like Tropicana, Florida's Natural, and Minute Maid.

Upvote 0

""

Jul 8, 2005
✟27,472.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Thank you for the advice, both of you. I'll look into the whey protien. Re: flavored rice milks, he does like the vanilla one. I noticed that rice milk is usually sweetened though. Have you noticed that with the ones you drink? Maybe it's the brands I'm getting. I do like rice milk on my cereal too, but I love soymilk on oatmeal. I'm a soy fan though, and I'll eat soy anything. My son is a little more picky than I am, but children usually are. I'll try adding the flax seed to our hot cereals too.

Upvote 0

LienShen

Equal Love for All
Mar 17, 2005
✟17,573.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I do find most of them to be sweetened. I don't mind when it's sweetened with Stevvia (it's a natural plant) or with Splenda.

I'm with you on the Soy. I love Soy products because I can't have dairy anyhow. I like Soy Cheese on my burgers, and I absolutely love Tofu. I get tofu alternatives everytime I can at the store. My kids are getting used to it, and my oldest son actually ordered Thai Noodles with Tofu at the restaurant the other night. I was pleased. My kids are really good about making good healthy choices for their food. They don't like junk food, or anything like that.

Now if I could just get my husband to make the same good choices...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

""

Jul 8, 2005
✟27,472.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Here's a wonderful link for you

It's for 10 tempting ideas for using tofu

http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/home/414

I like it in stir fry the most, because I make quite a bit of stir fry. It's so simple, and quick, and it has all of my favorite things in it.

It's also a great scrambled egg substitute, especially if you add some spices, onions and frozen hashbrowns (or potato's o'brien... they're cubed potatoes with peppers and onions in the freezer section of your grocery store).

Here's another helpful link.

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/foods_view/1,1523,136,00.htmlhttp://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/foods_view/1,1523,136,00.html

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums