Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I struggle with some things. I think I've been pretty open about that. I wouldn't go so far as to say I actively dissent from anything that is required belief in the Catholic Church. I tend to lean Left on many issues, but I am thouroughly pro life in the "seamless garment" tradition. That is, I'm against abortion and the death penalty and am pro worker, pro union, pro-family, and pro-social welfare programs. I support a traditional understanding of marriage and the family.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't know if I qualify as a liberal Catholic or not. I have huge doubts that I struggle with -- I would like to be just a normal everyday Catholic. I usually come online and defend orthodoxy as a way to encourage myself to bend that way. However, it might be nice to have a forum where I can relax a little, too, and admit where I'm really at.

Reactions: pastor marty
Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I don't know if I qualify as a liberal Catholic or not. I have huge doubts that I struggle with -- I would like to be just a normal everyday Catholic. I usually come online and defend orthodoxy as a way to encourage myself to bend that way. However, it might be nice to have a forum where I can relax a little, too, and admit where I'm really at.

That's great. That's one of the purposes for this forum. If you have doubts you'd like to discuss and get different responses from the ones you'd get in OBOB, this is a good forum for that.

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟840,613.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm a politically liberal Catholic. In any given month, I attend both Anglican and Catholic churches. I have been in the Catholic church since the 90's, and have been Baptist (before) and have participated in non-denominational churches a bit (after). When we retired, my wife joined The Episcopal Church. A couple of years ago, our bishop told us the we were no longer Episcopalians and that the diocese had pulled out of TEC. My wife and I have been struggling with that for 3 years now. I have chosen to come home, but my wife has not yet made that decision (BTW, she is a cradle Catholic). The current pope certainly makes coming back easier. Unfortunately, so many of the bishops, clergy and leaders are not hearing his messages. I used to be very active in the Charismatic Renewal, and plan to join a prayer group again soon.
===================
My view is that there is one visible Church, now fractured into Catholic, Orthodox, Anglican and Protestant(Lutheran/Presbyterian/Methodist) parts. There are other Christian faith communities, but they generally don't support the idea of a visible Church. I support the various ecumenical discussions between the churches, as well other ecumenical groups (for example among the contemplatives, and among the charismatics).
================
With regard to the so-called moral issues, I don't think of them as being in any way central to the gospel message. The Good News is all about Jesus. He gave us 2 commands, showed us how to pray, and gave us a guideline for life in the Beatitudes. He also commissioned us to go out into the world, spreading the good news, healing the sick, providing for the poor/weak, championing the alien, and taking care of the prisoner.

I was born a Jew. I was taught that human life begins when the Holy Spirit breathes life into the fetus at birth. Before that, there is life, but not human life. That being said, I strongly oppose all 2nd and 3rd term abortions. We should do all we can to support pregnant women, assuring them support and jobs. We must join together to do all we can to avoid abortions and to reduce their number. Yes, this includes promoting contraception and education. There is much less sex and abortions in the Netherlands where knowledge is the greatest preventor of abortions.

With regard to the requirements of the sacrament of marriage, I believe that the Church has the power to change these requirements at any time, as it can with regard to the requirements for Holy Orders. Currently, the Church teaches that homosexuality is a sin, so that's that.

I have strong views in favor of the protection of the civil rights of homosexual individuals.
I think that the state should not discriminate against homosexuals, and the state should allow marriage. I have difficulty dealing with us as Church rejecting the marriage of two individuals married in another church. If we are brothers and sisters in Christ, it would seem that we should accept people as married if another church married them. Of course, the Catholic Church cannot marry homosexuals. That would amount to validating their sin.

I strongly believe that married men should be ordained by the Church as priests. I also think that this will happen in the coming decades. There is NO priest shortage. The reality is that there are hundreds of thousands of those called to the priesthood who have left to be married, those who are now married deacons, those who are now married, or those would become priests if they could enter as married men.

Finally, I think that those divorced and remarried should be welcomed back to communion.
Many churches, including my own, are very clear that these folk are very welcome in our church. We simply await the change from the Vatican, so that these folks can receive.
======================

I guess it is good to have a sub-board of our own. I'm sure there are those at OBOB and STR who would feel at home posting here. There may be others over at GT. Also, there may be liberal Methodists and Presbyterians who might want to post here. A welcome at all those boards on a regular basis might help get posters.

As I recall, there were very few posters here, not enough to support a regular discussion of issues and ideas. Hopefully, we can enough people to support the board this time around.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I just thought I'd drop in and say hi. Looking forward to many fun meaningful discussions! :)

I second what Mark said about wanting to open this up to liberal or progressive Anglicans and Old Catholics as full members, and maybe to liberal Lutherans and other similar liberal liturgical churches as well. My understanding is that that is probably not the direction that the forum is going to be taking, but if we're taking a vote, I'm for opening it up officially to members of all kind of Catholic-y type churches who individually have a progressive outlook.

I'd imagine that even if we don't do that officially, people will probably be essentially allowed to come in and post like full members of the forum. Progressives tend not to draw lines in the sand and get on people's case about stuff like that. :)

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟436,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm not Catholic, so I apologize if I'm not allowed here... but the Church has still been laying heavily on my heart for a while (even though I just officially joined the PCUSA). I'm not extraordinarily liberal, more like a Centrist, but I definitely want to hang out and learn more about how the Catholic Church and I would get on.

Note: not that I believe a church should conform to me, but I hope you know what I mean. :)

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm not Catholic, so I apologize if I'm not allowed here... but the Church has still been laying heavily on my heart for a while (even though I just officially joined the PCUSA). I'm not extraordinarily liberal, more like a Centrist, but I definitely want to hang out and learn more about how the Catholic Church and I would get on.

Note: not that I believe a church should conform to me, but I hope you know what I mean. :)

It's fine to post here. Glad to hear you're interested in the Catholic Church. We have a robust social teaching.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟436,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's fine to post here. Glad to hear you're interested in the Catholic Church. We have a robust social teaching.

Indeed, I've surely been a huge fan of Pope Francis since the get-go, and the more I learn the more I really love Pope Saint John Paul II as well.

Upvote 0

frenchdefense

Feb 25, 2009
✟18,286.00
Faith
Catholic
Hey,

I'm sick of OBOB. It's gotten funny,

as in weird funny.

Let's be honest

Hateful funny.

Cosmic Charlie's had it too.

Not that I'd have any personal experience.

But I think he's sweating off a serious suspension. He's not sure because he pegged his password and hasn't bothered to pick it.

It's all 2cos's fault anyway.

He's under a serious suspension too.

I've been to open and honest on this post

I think I'll quit now

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hey,

I'm sick of OBOB. It's gotten funny,

as in weird funny.

Let's be honest

Hateful funny.

Cosmic Charlie's had it too.

Not that I'd have any personal experience.

But I think he's sweating off a serious suspension. He's not sure because he pegged his password and hasn't bothered to pick it.

It's all 2cos's fault anyway.

He's under a serious suspension too.

I've been to open and honest on this post

I think I'll quit now

oMkd29X.jpg

You know, I was just asking someone where Cosmic Charlie went off to. Someone asked me if there was anyone who hasn't been around a while and should know about the forum, and I immediately thought of him. Didn't know where he'd disappeared to. Always enjoyed reading his posts. Good perspective and sense of humor.

I think I've figured out where he is now. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟840,613.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'll probably come here and post since a lot of my favorite people are coming over here.

My purpose? To come and debate contentiously over why I disagree with you. :p

Welcome!

I suspect that you will not find anywhere as much to disagree about than you did at OBOB. Or perhaps, your disagreements might relate to issues we couldn't even really discuss on OBOB.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,101,151.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I am Catholic by birth and by heritage and have been a practicing Catholic for most of my life, and although I sometimes feel there are other religions that would be a better "fit" for me I don't feel inclined to change.

After sixty-five years of living, I have come to the conclusion that life is a great mystery and I need to become comfortable with embracing the mystery. I will never know all the answers on earth, so why seek them out? Catholicism is in my 100% Celtic DNA, and no one is holding a gun to my head trying to micromanage whether my beliefs are 110% in tune with the magisterium (well, outside of OBOB, that is :) )

I am deeply spiritual, committed to social justice and ecumenism, and active in music ministry. I have gone on Central American mission trips and am quite involved in Habitat for Humanity. I find God in my relationships with others all the time--I guess you could call me a namaste Catholic. One of the most powerful experiences I have at Sunday Masses is when I focus my prayer on other people. I belong to a small parish, and, sitting at the organ, I can look sideways and see the whole congregation. At communion I always choose people who need healing and pray for them wholeheartedly. As I connect to their intentions, I truly begin to feel that we are all one body--and so I gain something from it as well.

I would love to feel that there are people praying for me that way, but I also know that I have much to be grateful for--I have a great life, not perfect, but good. I like to pray gratefully and pray for others.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I'm not liberal but not conservative. I helped Tall get the Statement for this place ready since I was the Policy Manager for a long time. And I want people to have a place where they can discuss and engage with each other.

So I will pop in and pray and say hi. Like all my online time, it is limited because of the kids. But I will keep an eye also for people sniping at you guys while you establish a safe haven to fellowship and engage with each other.

Even if I disagree with how some here would think on things I do not doubt your hearts and will try to make sure you do not suffer abuse and attacks in a place designed for you to have open discussions.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟835,152.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I'm not liberal but not conservative. I helped Tall get the Statement for this place ready since I was the Policy Manager for a long time. And I want people to have a place where they can discuss and engage with each other.

So I will pop in and pray and say hi. Like all my online time, it is limited because of the kids. But I will keep an eye also for people sniping at you guys while you establish a safe haven to fellowship and engage with each other.

Even if I disagree with how some here would think on things I do not doubt your hearts and will try to make sure you do not suffer abuse and attacks in a place designed for you to have open discussions.

Hi Davidnic:wave:, good to see you here. I might add that you were a great Policy Manager!!:thumbsup:

Most everyone here knows me, but for those who don't, I'm Mark. Like David I have been on staff for a while and have recently been involved in the creation of the Traditional Theology forum. I'll be stopping in from time to time also along with Tall Guy and Davidnic to make sure that you guys can continue to have respectful discussions about the topics that you wish to discuss.

Know that you are all welcome to PM TG and myself with any concerns and questions that you may have.

Happy posting all, and may God bless!

Mark
CF Admin:)

Upvote 0

sylverpiano

unworthy
Oct 14, 2010
✟53,702.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Good morning all

The political conservatives over at OBOB seem to consider me a Liberal. Likewise, the political liberals over there seem me as a Conservative. I am not sure I fit into either slot.

I am interested to read here in this forum.

Upvote 0

daniangela

Site Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Italy-- on the Adriatic coast
✟50,514.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi! I'be been reading posts in OBOB and generally lurking around for for years. In real life I haven't been able to concretely return to the RCC. The reasons are diverse... but they'r not theological. I'm not ready to discuss my issues concerning returning.

God bless!

Dani

Last edited:
Upvote 0