MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have hypothyroidism, most likely the Hasimoto's disease variety.

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/hashimotos/a/hashimoto.htm

Since this summer, it seems like the FDA has halted production of natural dessicated porcine thyroid and is forcing those of us who are dependent on thyroid to start buying Synthroid, a non-natural man-made drug containing T4 levothrosine with proven side-effects.

One of my friends was put on levothrosine (Synthroid) for her Hasimoto's disease which was very severe. Her doctors had her on Synthroid for a month, but they could not get it under control. She had to quit college because she felt like she was going crazy and was constantly in tears due to pain and depression. Finally they put her on Armour and her symptoms were immediately brought under control. However, she lost one semester of work due to the experimentations.

Many doctors will put patients on Synthroid saying that it is a standardized and tested drug of choice. However, with my Hasimoto's symptoms, Synthroid does not work because it is composed of T4, while natural dessicated thyroid contains a blend of T4 and T3, which is what I need. My only choice is natural dessicated thyroid.

This article debunks the myth that Armour Thyroid or Natural dessicated thyroid is not effective:

www.ThyroidScience: Case Reports: Contents

Today, I called my pharmacy and the pharmacist told me that Armour Thyroid is not available, so he recommended asking my doctor for Synthroid. Again, I reminded the pharmacist that T4 will not help my Hasimoto's Disease only T3 found in natural dessicated thyroid is effective in reducing the symptoms of Hasimoto's Disease. He agreed.

Whereas this spring, I only pay $15.00 for a bottle of 30 tablets, now I must go to a compounding pharmacy and pay $39.00 for 30 capsules. However, the natural compounding excludes GMO cornstarch now found in Armour's newly reformulated thyroid, which gave me hives, swollen ankles, and confused thinking.

Nevertheless, the price of compounding could go higher due to the shortage of porcine thyroid, and my insurance does not cover this.

Here is an interesting article by Mary Shomon

Thyroid Disease: A Natural/Herbal Perspective -- Interview with Shasta Tierra, L.Ac

Last edited:

Melania Rose

O most merciful One, glory to Thee
Jul 21, 2009
Heavenly Valley
Visit site
✟15,495.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Sorry to hear you have to go through all of this. I fail to understand, either, why doctors and pharmaceutical companies keep pushing synthetic/chemical stuff on patients, instead of using what really works with less or no side effects. I have hyper thyroid, Graves' disease, as you probably remember. I have to keep my thyroid under control using soy milk. Soy anything will lower thyroid levels, and it is quite effective. The doctor wanted to destroy my thyroid by radiation, and I balked, and so didn't go through that. I feel that would have been a huge mistake, and so if diet can keep mine under control, that is all for the better.

As far as dietary control of hypo thyroid, or Hasimoto's, I'm not up on that. I would say eating seafood with iodine would help, possibly? Milk has iodine, and also red meat. I would try to keep iodine levels up as much as possible in the diet, in addition to your medication. I can do some research if you wish, maybe two sets of eyes are better than one set for such a thing.

Reactions: MariaRegina
Upvote 0

Melania Rose

Jul 21, 2009
Heavenly Valley
Visit site
✟15,495.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I didn't know you were allergic to iodine! That really complicates things. How do you get along with the dessicated porcine thyroid, then? That's a bit confusing to me. I use regular sea salt without iodine because my condition just cannot handle it. I find the sea salt tastes better, and perhaps we get "overdosed" on iodine anyway with that added to salt. Although we all should not have too much salt in our diets, it seems to get there without us even trying! :) Manufactured foods are the culprit. We need to do more cooking with whole, fresh foods, rather than canned, or processed. Even my dogs and cats are getting fresher foods from my diet, because I have one cat that is overweight, and the processed dried foods are made out of (guess what) grains, including corn (worst of all). So I'm putting my cats and dogs on fresh meats and even some vegetables. My dogs love the veggies. No rice (another bad grain), and hopefully we can see some good health changes around here.

Upvote 0

Melania Rose

Jul 21, 2009
Heavenly Valley
Visit site
✟15,495.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Okay, read that site on Hasimoto's which is an autoimmune disease. I was reading that all autoimmune disease is caused by heavy metal toxicity, and perhaps a mixture of other toxins. Autoimmune is precisely what I have (or had), but I'm getting healed! First step for me was the removal of mercury amalgams that I had in my teeth since the age of 15. I had 3/4s of them removed when about the age of 50, and the last three were aging and disintigrating quickly, and those I had removed last February. It has been seven months, and lupus symptoms are now nil (diagnosed by blood test 2006), no arthritis, which vanished 9 years ago after 3/4 removal happened. I am using Alpha Lipoic Acid tablets to chelate the mercury out of my system. I cannot handle much of the Alpha Lipoic Acid at a time, so I take it, and go off for a few weeks, and then go on it again, etc.

We are exposed to so many toxins in life, and it is hard to guess how much of these autoimmune diseases are simply modern life in this world. However, it has been said by some doctors/scientists that autoimmune disease is SIMPLY TOXIFICATION BY MERCURY EXPOSURE, and only that! I thought that was extreme, but the more I think about it....

Get rid of the heavy metals, and symptoms are known to vanish. There have been people with Multiple Sclerosis (autoimmune) cured with amalgam removals, there have been other diseases too. There is no safe level of mercury, and it is difficult to remove from the body, especially the brain, which Alpha Lipoic Acid can do. There are some books at Amazon.com about Alpha Lipoic Acid, "The Alpha Lipoic Acid Breakthrough": The Superb Antioxidant That May Slow Aging, Repair Liver Damage, and Reduce the Risk of Cancer, Heart Disease, and Diabetes by Burt Berkson (Paperback - Sep 9, 1998) that details what this marvelous supplement can do. It is found in red meat, which is the best source for it. Alpha Lipoic Acid, at molecular level, grabs onto the mercury molecule, and removes it from the body safely. Also, coriander, also known as cilantro, removes the mercury, and quickly, but cannot do so for the brain.

Also, mercury toxicity causes multiple chemical and food sensitivities. My husband has these problems, and he still has a few amalgams left in his mouth since his teens (putting and removing them over the years is very dangerous)... He is also trying to get rid of them entirely in due time. He is amazed at my progress. I was literally bedridden much of last year with lupus symptoms.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks.

My doctor recommends Alpha Lipoic Acid and it has helped me.

She is one of the few that practices preventative medicine. She is a good Catholic too.

We share a lot of knowledge and we are both learning from seminars and online research.

When I am at the University, I can get access to medical journals.

It is incredible what I have learned.

For example, I did online research on cortical cysts (I have a left cortical cyst).
I read about five thick medical cases from all over the world.
In each case, research indicates that cortical cysts cause high blood pressure and that statin drugs do not work. When my blood pressure was elevated, I told my doctor, and she believed me, but my other physicians would not listen and asked why I was not taking statin drugs along with Synthroid. :doh:

Again, my pharmacist asked why I was not on Synthroid. And when I told him that it does not work with Hasimoto's Disease, he appeared a little shocked that I knew that.

It is so important to be informed today.

Last edited:
Upvote 0