✟572,130.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It answered it.

You want to know what can be done for him and his family? I'd recommend prayer... under the current administration, it doesn't look like he's got one.
Come on TLK, no need to be so pessimistic, I like his chances.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I didn't know that, in the book and the movie he didn't seem like a fierce competitor, just a real smart kid.

AFAIK, he got out of chess long after the movie was made.

Can't say I blame him. Nobody wants to be the next Bobby Fischer, considering how the first one ended up.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Come on TLK, no need to be so pessimistic, I like his chances.

Hey, I don't make the rules, I just share my unflattering opinions of the man who currently does.

I suspect that Donald's administration can be cajoled/shamed into cutting the kid's family some slack... maybe he can sign a contract to play exclusively on Trump brand chessboards...

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,281,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I think Josh Watzkin's didn't like what single-minded dedication to competition can do to people. If you watched the movie, you get that feeling. He's very much an easygoing type of person and he burnt out on chess competition.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,889.00
Faith
Catholic
Our Chess Champion Has a Home
I wrote in my column last weekend about Tani as a reminder of the principle that talent is universal, even if opportunity is not. A Nigerian refugee who had learned chess only a bit more than a year earlier, he had just defeated kids from elite private schools to win the New York state chess championship for his age group. He lugged a trophy nearly as big as he is back to the homeless shelter.

Now the story gets even better.

After my column about this hard-working family, a GoFundMe drive raised more than $200,000 for Tani, his parents and his brother. A half-dozen readers offered housing — in a couple of cases, palatial quarters. Immigration lawyers offered pro bono assistance to the Adewumis, who are in the country legally and seeking asylum. Three film companies are vying to make movies about Tani.
The Adewumis have decided that they will not spend a cent of the $200,000 GoFundMe money on themselves. They will take out a 10 percent tithe and donate it to their church, which helped them while they were homeless, and the rest will be channeled through a new Tanitoluwa Adewumi Foundation to help African immigrants who are struggling in the United States the way they were a week ago.

"Anybody who is coming from Africa who is in the position we were in, we will help them," Mr. Adewumi said, acknowledging that details need to be worked out.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0